• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you clear a squib this way?

You guys don't carry a chopstick to the range to clear squibs/confirm clear tubes? Hear a pathetic poof of a bang, or feel something off, jam, etc, lock back the slide and rather than stare down the barrel, just push thru the wooden stick to confirm clear.
I keep an old cleaning rod in the range kit just to check for barrel clear.
If I squib that ammo gets segregated with the gun and I figure it out at home.

I think @one-eyed Jack has the right of it. As long as the bullet is lodged close to the chamber, it will probably work. The pressure might spike, but it has a lower potential pressure because of the extra air space. The resulting peak pressure is uncertain, but I doubt it's going to approach barrel proof pressure. If the bullet is further down, the powder may not burn efficiently, and there might not be enough pressure to make the brass obturate. But then the gasses just blow around the case and the bullet may not move much. Not a disaster because of the low pressure.

The bottom line, though, is why this wouldn't be a last resort in the field? Or did they sell it that way? At a range during a training event like this, how can nobody have a suitable rod to push out the squib?

You could build up enough pressure between the bullets to ring the barrel. Jack.
if-you-liked-it-then-you-should-have-put-a-citation-on-it-meme.jpg

I just sacrificed a section of aluminum cleaning rod. As I mentioned before, pouring/spraying some oil in the bore can help lube the bore to make it easier for the bullet to come out.
I used a wooden dowel for my first squib without using oil and I broke the dowel.

But they make brass and hard polymer squib rods

I always save the little plastic swords that come in my cocktails... much stronger than the umbrellas...

1669757870116.png 1669757897532.png

I'm not an expert on this so I'll just trust the experts from the random video I saw online. They look like the know what they are doing and would never steer anyone wrong.

I want to try pulling the projo, loading the powder-charged case... inserting a chopstick down muzzle and seeing how far I can shoot it... 🤔

1669758871855.png

I like to think "outside the box"...

1669766126593.png

Last edited:
Actually, Hatcher's notebook covers this. He recommended dumping half the powder after pulling the bullet. He discussed the problem of troops getting cleaning rags or cleaning pull-throughs out of M1903 Springfields. I used this method after a buddy had a Czech surplus 9mm squib leave a bullet halfway down the bore of a Walther P-38.

I’m all my years shooting, military and civilian, I’ve only had 1 squib load. About 5-6 years ago with Winchester whitebox 9mm. I didn’t even know I had a squib. The next round wouldn’t chamber because the bullet was just barely stuck at the beginning of the barrel. If that bullet would of got stuck further down the barrel I wouldn’t even have known and I would of fired the next shot into it. Scary shit.

Honest question: Does this happen a lot with you guys that reload?

I always have cleaning rods with me and a simple tap cleared it right out. And no more Winchester whitebox for this kid😂

I’m all my years shooting, military and civilian, I’ve only had 1 squib load. About 5-6 years ago with Winchester whitebox 9mm. I didn’t even know I had a squib. The next round wouldn’t chamber because the bullet was just barely stuck at the beginning of the barrel. If that bullet would of got stuck further down the barrel I wouldn’t even have known and I would of fired the next shot into it. Scary shit.

I always have cleaning rods with me and a simple tap cleared it right out. And no more Winchester whitebox for this kid😂
That sounds like a "primer only" round... no powder. 🤔

Most cleaning rods are barely of sufficient hardness to use for hammering out a stuck bullet.

It would be better to have a brass or aluminum rod of greater diameter than a cleaning rod but just under bore diameter and about 2 inches longer than the potential barrel length it might be used on. Excessive length just encourages bending instead of transfer of impact to the stuck bullet.

BTW, Winchester ammo ringed the barrel on my M11/9. I shot it for a long time with the ringed barrel but eventually changed out the barrel. Shit happens.

I've never ringed a barrel or had a squib with my reloads as I pay close attention to powder drops and triple check before seating a bullet.

I’ve had 3 squibs only in my light 357 mag (357 brass loaded to 38 spl velocities) loads. To this day I still haven’t figured out why.
Literally loaded tens upon tens of thousands of rounds across 8 calibers and the 3 were with light 357 loads.

Back
Top Bottom