• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you buy a polymer frame gun

Would you buy a polymer gun?

• Definitely!

Votes: 122 59.5%
  • Depends on who makes it...

Votes: 61 29.8%
  • Oh Heck no! those things melt!

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • they make guns out of platic now!?!?... HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters
So how about it, i've noticed a lot of people recently saying that they would never buy a 'plastic gun' such as the bushmaster ACR or half the stuff HK makes.

Personally having walked thru the polymer lab at Umass Lowell, I have no doubt in the strength of some of the plastics that manufacturers can come up with.

What do you think, reasons for opinions are always good!

While I doubt one would melt under normal and possibly even extreme use I just don't like polymer framed handguns. I don't care for the way they feel in my hand or the way they shoot.
Its all subjective.

For me, steel is real.

YMMV.

I went to Umass for Plastics Engineering, and used to work in those labs.

As you stated and some others have you will not see a plastic frame gun melt under any conditions the normal individual will experience, unless you are wearing heat resistant gloves that will go beyond 1000°F. In some cases there are plastic materials in the market that have higher/better physical properties on a comparative basis to steel, and they are many times lighter.

Both materials have their benefits, but plastic is cheaper and that means you can buy more guns!!!!!

No guns with plastic receivers or FCG parts. I've seen WAY more issues with plastic frames/parts than with steel in regards to firearms, WAY more.

My concern isn't with melting, it's with frame life. I've seen WAY more plastic framed guns crack than steel, WAY more.

I don't discriminate. All steel, alloy or plastic (I own all 3 receiver types) - a well designed and engineered firearm will usually find its way into one of my safes.

Half my handguns have poly frames, and the furniture on some of my long guns is polymer as well. It's cheaper and lighter than metal or wood, it doesn't scratch as easily as wood, it's easier to grab in the winter than metal, and it annoys Martha Coakley. The only downsides for me are the reduced prettiness and the fact that it makes them less useful as clubs should the need arise.

Half my handguns have poly frames, and the furniture on some of my long guns is polymer as well. It's cheaper and lighter than metal or wood, it doesn't scratch as easily as wood, it's easier to grab in the winter than metal, and it annoys Martha Coakley. The only downsides for me are the reduced prettiness and the fact that it makes them less useful as clubs should the need arise.

FWIW, Ruger actually has a video on their site, demonstrating that a drop test shows that their polymer trigger module is stronger (less prone to breakage) than their previous metal trigger module.

Back
Top Bottom