• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would this compensator be legal in MA?

I'm thinking about building a target AR with an upper from MSTN. The barrel included would be the 20" stainless Lilja fluted barrel by Compass Lake Engineering. It comes with the Compass Lake VAIS type compensator as it's configured in the picture. Because the compensator is as permanent as they get, basically drilled into the barrel itself, would it comply with Massachusetts law?

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2111.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies.

I sent Compass Lake an email, I'll let you know what they say.

Well, Compass Lake said to check with someone locally. I'm not sure how they expect me to get that done. I guess they want me to buy one, have it shipped in and then ask a local expert.[angry]

It's no longer an issue anyway. I'm going to buy a rifle similar to this from Rock River Arms (Predator Pursuit A4 w/20" barrel). You can substitute the adjustable Magpul PRS stock for the standard one right from the factory. The Predator Pursuit comes with a NM 2 stage trigger also.

rra3.jpg

Generally, you will find that muzzle brakes have a narrow muzzle opening that is close to the bullet diameter, while flash suppressors will have a wide open muzzle. That's usually the hint.

I'm pretty sure they only people who can legally determine whether it is a flash suppressor or a brake is the ATF. And if Compass lake can't say, its because they haven't submitted it for testing. To me, it does not seem good that they do not know what they're product is classified as.

It also means if MA wants to prosecute you for it, they have to test and prove its a flash suppressor first.

Personally, I would go for the PWS FSC556, it is ATF approved as a muzzle brake only, but it does about as much flash suppression that possible and is a great compensator.

The gun is OK for Mass, the fact that the barrel is not threaded to accept a flash hidder is the pertinent info not being compensated.

Back
Top Bottom