Would like to do a 3 gun, but need help

Anyone ever run a "3 Gun" competition?

I know it can be fun, and they are all different. I would like to propose this to my club, but need more info, and would also need help in running it. I think it might be a fun way to get more people interested in the club, and also to bring in a little income to the club by means of something other than the bar or trap shooting. I think this could be both fun, educational, and possibly profitable.

I'd want people who have run these before. I guess I could just make something up myself, but I don't have enough background in these to really know all the ins and outs.

Of course, this would have to be tailored to the layout of our club, and keep safety topmost in mind.

Thanks.

I would suggest first getting involved with an established action shooting group so you can learn about how matches are run. Find a club near you that runs USPSA, IDPA, or other types of matches and volunteer to help out.

There is only one other club in our town, and I'd say we're ahead of them.

Like I said, we did one before, but with only about 8 people, all who helped in setting it up and running it. It was pretty simple and nice, but fun. There was a variety of guns, from AR's to lever 30-30's, to 9mm carbines, with 1911's and 9mm's for pistol, with pump shotguns. Layout was with guns on the table, you had to run to get your gun, take x number of shots, then put it back (open=safe), and go to the next "stage". Was a fun time, and I think it was $10 per round. I did OK, but did not hear the person call out the time (plugs and muffs) at the end, so went over, and the penalty made me lose.

Get ahold of the Wallum Lake R&G guys. Either that or look at the layout for Country Pond Fish and Game's format/rules...been to WL for a multigun shoot and I hear good things about Country Pond.

Myself and a few buddies tried to do something like this a few years ago. We got so far as a trial (half a**) match it took more time to set up everything than it did all the shooters to shoot. Sad reality is around here 3gun isn't as big. Another problem we ran into was all the targets, equipment needed. A lot of work and money for a one day event.

Like Coyote33 said. A club or training company would have to host one.

Best of luck. I would love to you a match if something is up and running

I would suggest first getting involved with an established action shooting group so you can learn about how matches are run. Find a club near you that runs USPSA, IDPA, or other types of matches and volunteer to help out.

I second this

Since you did not state what club it is, it's difficult advise. What are the club facilities besides the bar and trap field. Do you have only one range that rifle can be shot on, any small bays that will work for all 3 guns? Proximity of homes nearby? How much land does the club have, and what or who abuts it? Do you, or any others that will help you participate in the action shooting games?
A bit more info will help.

What are the club facilities besides the bar and trap field.
Pistol range/house
120 yard rifle range

Do you have only one range that rifle can be shot on,
Yes, for center fire.

any small bays that will work for all 3 guns?
Only on rifle range.

Proximity of homes nearby?
Decent berm, but not super-duper.

How much land does the club have, and what or who abuts it?
200 acres?

Do you, or any others that will help you participate in the action shooting games?
I'm sure rifle chairman would be involved, as well as rifle/pistol committee, and other volunteers. President would likely check it out as well. Probably at least one RSO available, but unfamiliar with this type of competition.

As has been said by a couple people, it would be advantageous for you to get involved with action shooting matches at established clubs. These activities take time to get rolling, if the club is not into them, expect to be criticized every step of the way.
I would suggest starting with either pistol or shotgun matches. Targets for steel are not cheap if you want some durability. Shotgun can be static clays, or knock down steel. Shotgun steel is pretty simple, angle iron cut 6 inches long and placed on a stand of rebar with a plate welded to the top works well. A friend in Colorado is using 2 5/8" 16 gauge galvanized tubing that's used for chain link fence posts. They can be used over and over, and don't leave a mess on the range.
I also suggest attending a 3 gun match and watch. The game is slowly growing here, but there are a couple clubs that are running them. Monson (Springfield Sportsman's Club) is having one on June 4th. Spend some time seeing how it's done, preferably with another club member that will be involved with you.

As others have suggested, get involved in action shooting. Starting shooting USPSA and/or IDPA. Become a safety officer/range officer for one of those disciplines. Then become a match director and you will have experience running an action shooting match for pistols. Once you have run a match for pistols, only then would I try to run a match for three gun.

Also, you will need more than one 100 yard range for an action shooting match. You will need several action shooting pits, like this:

USPSA17_HampdenPitsphoto1.jpg

How about a "Slow Mo" 3 gun thing

All 3 aspects are timed but the stages are run "one at a time"

Something like "This is a pistol round" followed by "This is a shotgun round" followed by a "This is a rifle round" type match

Very into - very slo-mo, one stage at a time for all shooters - before it gets all 100% speed/time/accuracy game it all Jerry Mitchulack!!!

Videos show all pros at full speed - most of us are not that.

Lets just shoot a stage, have fun - log time - and enjoy before we go on to the next stage - game.

Walk us all thru before we start running - so to speak. I see my skills at each phase but compressed into 10 seconds, not so much fun...

Make sense?

Something like "This is a pistol round" followed by "This is a shotgun round" followed by a "This is a rifle round" type match

The general naming convention (at least in the USPSA world) is that 3 guns matches consist of stages using a single gun (rifle, handgun or shotgun) and Multigun matches can contain various combinations in a stage (often two gun types, but 3 is also possible)

The general naming convention (at least in the USPSA world) is that 3 guns matches consist of stages using a single gun (rifle, handgun or shotgun) and Multigun matches can contain various combinations in a stage (often two gun types, but 3 is also possible)

Rob,
That doesn't hold true any more. I shoot Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, He Man 3 Gun, FN 3 Gun, Armalite 3 Man 3 Gun, and Mid Atlantic Mulitgun Championship. Stages will be from 1 to 3 guns, not including the occasional stage gun at Rocky Mountain. The naming is interchangeable. Don't make it like the .223 / 5.56 stuff.

How about a "Slow Mo" 3 gun thing

All 3 aspects are timed but the stages are run "one at a time"

Very into - very slo-mo, one stage at a time for all shooters - before it gets all 100% speed/time/accuracy game it all Jerry Mitchulack!!!

Videos show all pros at full speed - most of us are not that.

Lets just shoot a stage, have fun - log time - and enjoy before we go on to the next stage - game.

Walk us all thru before we start running - so to speak. I see my skills at each phase but compressed into 10 seconds, not so much fun...

Make sense?

Sounds boring as ****. If I wanted to take my time shooting one gun at a time... Wait, I do. It's called going to the range. That's the place to practice safe gun handling, transitions, etc... A match is a place where you get to put those skills to the test, under time and competitive pressure.

I'm not talking about any sort of league or other organized outfit to participate in. Just some friendly target practice, with a timer, and some other people interested in the same thing. Maybe a prize or two. Nothing strenuous, just a little afternoon fun, and safety.

I can see why 3 gun is so attractive, you watch one video and see how fun it looks and need to try it. To anyone who wants to dive in to the 3 gun game, I urge you to spend a season shooting pistol matches, USPSA specifically. You may think it is not as fun because 1 gun is less than 3 guns, but it is fun, and more importantly you will learn and hone pistol skills that will be needed in the 3 gun match. Also you will learn how a match operates, and all of the general safety rules that are common in any action shooting game. If you do a few pistol matches and are bored you haven't really wasted anything, but you may be humbled by watching some of the local talent and find pistol only competition to be fun and challenging. Although 3 gun matches are popping up more frequently, they are not as frequent as pistol matches which you can find every weekend.

Back
Top Bottom