• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would like some pros & cons New Remington 1100 Autoloader Sporting Shotgun, 28 gauge

Would like some pros & cons​

New Remington 1100 Autoloader Sporting Shotgun R29583, 28​

Why a 28? Are you buying it for yourself or for someone who is sensitive to recoil? If you want a lighter alternative to the 12 gauge, I would suggest a 20 gauge. Better availability of ammunition, adequate power and lighter recoil.

28 is like finding balls on a dove and as mentioned above it’s $$$
410 is a little better on both of those fronts.
20 and 12 we all know about.

I've hunted bunnies with both a 28 gauge and a 410 gadge. The 28 is awesome but then again so is the 410. In these times I'd probably opt for a 410 just because of ammo availability. I had a Remington 11- 87, 28 gauge and it was nice but I love my old 28 gage double for bunnies.

Last edited:
OP - as others have said, "Why?"

If your answer is, "I want it," I say go for it. 1100 is a good platform. The concerns noted above are all valid.

If it's a recoil issue, get a 20, and use light loads. If it's a "I want to give the live birds a chance," I hope you're a good shot, and can get clean, ethical kills.

More details will give better answers, in this question, and others, in the future.

Lots of hate for the 28. Don’t listen to it. Ive killed gobs of pheasants with the 28 and 6 size shot.

It throws one of the best patterns. And I shoot 23-24 regularly at skeet with it.

My firiend has the auto loader you speak of. Its heavy. Si you will notice almost no recoil. Remington quality today is not the best either.

Finding shells will be tougher and you will pay
30-50 percent more per case. Reloading will be tough because primers are hard to find. But I suggest at some point you will want to reload.
I do.

28's. Why not go full-crazy and find yourself a 16? LOL

I love my 1187. Technically it's my wife's. Technically. She wanted to get into shotgunning at one point so I got it for her. Points like a dream. It will gum up after about 4 rounds of sporting clays. LOL

Why a 28? Are you buying it for yourself or for someone who is sensitive to recoil? If you want a lighter alternative to the 12 gauge, I would suggest a 20 gauge. Better availability of ammunition, adequate power and lighter recoil.
We reload so gauge is not problem

OP - as others have said, "Why?"

If your answer is, "I want it," I say go for it. 1100 is a good platform. The concerns noted above are all valid.

If it's a recoil issue, get a 20, and use light loads. If it's a "I want to give the live birds a chance," I hope you're a good shot, and can get clean, ethical kills.

More details will give better answers, in this question, and others, in the future.
Have several 28 ga guns. no auto loaders. I shot skeet few weeks ago with 28GA 1100 I was impressed. Ammo not problem.

Somewhat on-topic question. Say I have a 12 gauge single shot with a 28 gauge chamber adapter. Would the pattern be greatly affected by a 28 gauge being shot through a 12 gauge barrel, provided you use an appropriate choke?

For all the naysayers the 28 is supposed to be the sweet spot for trap and skeet shooting and google is your friend if you don't believe me. The 28 on the other hand is hard to find and expensive but if you reload who cares!

For all the naysayers the 28 is supposed to be the sweet spot for trap and skeet shooting and google is your friend if you don't believe me. The 28 on the other hand is hard to find and expensive but if you reload who cares!
If the 28 works for someone, it works. Hardly my place to argue differently. I prefer the 12 gauge. Others swear by the 20. All will kill. This is not a superlatives contest. Dead is dead.

Back
Top Bottom