Would a 10mm Magnum revolver interest you?

For those unaware there is such a thing as 10mm Magnum, it's basically a 10mm Auto case lengthened and strengthened *giggity* to about the same length as a .357 Mag case.

R63bc2e5cb3b2fb42f7baee26e58098f4

As you can see it's also rimless because back when it was created it was for use in some Automag pistols, but like the Automag pistol itself it didn't find much success. With the resurging interest in the 10mm for semi autos, I'm wondering if maybe there's interest in bringing back the 10mm Magnum concept, but for use strictly in revolvers by introducing a rimmed version. With a 10mm Rimmed Magnum it would for all intents and purposes be a .41 Magnum, but while having projectile weights from 135 grains up to 220 grains available, be capable of shooting 10mm Auto and .40 with moon clips, and would fit into an L frame or GP100 revolver.

Would this interest anyone? Considering what .41 Mag ammo costs and the limited bullet options for it, a 10mm Mag revolver seems to be a better option whilst still being a more powerful option than a .357 Magnum in a similar sized revolver.

Solution looking for a problem. You could almost call the 10mm mag a .41 special and a 10mm a .40 mag or .41 extra-special.
You can push 220's out of a 10mm and 265's out of a .41.
.357 mag, and max can rocket 200's twice as fast
.44 mag you can load past 300 gr and send those things cruising downrange.

You can get extra retarded and try to fit 10mm auto mag or 400 corbon or .45 super or .460 rowland.
Really nothing to gain from a ballistics standpoint outside of saying "I have a 10mm mag"

Solution looking for a problem. You could almost call the 10mm mag a .41 special and a 10mm a .40 mag or .41 extra-special.
You can push 220's out of a 10mm and 265's out of a .41.
.357 mag, and max can rocket 200's twice as fast
.44 mag you can load past 300 gr and send those things cruising downrange.

You can get extra retarded and try to fit 10mm auto mag or 400 corbon or .45 super or .460 rowland.
Really nothing to gain from a ballistics standpoint outside of saying "I have a 10mm mag"
You seem ill informed about the ballistics of 10mm Magnum. John Taffin chronographed the 10mm Mag going 1600 fps with a 200 grain bullet from an 8" barrel. That's far from being a .41 Special.

The point isn't so much to be ballistically superior to .41 Mag or even equal, but be close to it while being able to shoot cheap .40 S&W. Well, cheap compared to what .41 Mag ammo costs while also having the ability to shoot a near equal to .41 Mag power in 10mm Magnum.

I will concede that the S&W Model 69 in .44 Mag is hard to beat in terms of power to the size/weight of the revolver, but again, ammo cost becomes a factor if you don't reload.

If you're buying .41 mag ammo, thats the first mistake.
If the thought that 10mm mag would cost less, thats the second mistake.

A .41 will push a 210gr @ about 1500-1550 fps, so theres that. And probably push a 200 gr past 1600 with more downrange energy than in the Taffin test you've cited as compared to a 10mm mag, where the heaviest load test was 200 gr.
And theres loads out for .41 in 250 gr maxing out at about 1400 fps at exceptionally low pressures considering or 170's up to 1800.
You can look up published load data for that

So again, solution looking for a problem.
The real question you should ask is-
What can 10mm mag do that a 10mm can't?

I bought one on a whim but I don't shoot it much. Can shoot 40 ammo as well.

I think the Wildey was offered in this chambering for a short time back in the day, Maybe even the LAR Grizzly. Not sure on that one though. The Automag 3 was chambered in 9mm magnum too.

There are Grizzly owners custom reaming their barrels to shoot the 10 Magnum these days ,one of them recently bought. a 10mm factory Lar Griz Kit to do it

I'm a total phag for 10mm, so if I didn't already have .357 mag and .44 mag I'd like a 10mm mag because I'd be using the same projectiles to reload. As it stands, I can load Underwood or Buffalo Bore equivalents for my G20, so I don't see a need for more juice out of a semi auto and 10mm mag isn't going to reach 44 mag power.

Note that I'm using a KKM barrel, 20 lb Wolff spring, and stainless guide rod for 'hot' loads but am not over maximums.

I'm a total phag for 10mm, so if I didn't already have .357 mag and .44 mag I'd like a 10mm mag because I'd be using the same projectiles to reload. As it stands, I can load Underwood or Buffalo Bore equivalents for my G20, so I don't see a need for more juice out of a semi auto and 10mm mag isn't going to reach 44 mag power.

Note that I'm using a KKM barrel, 20 lb Wolff spring, and stainless guide rod for 'hot' loads but am not over maximums.
So you'd agree with me that there's not much reason for a revolver between .357 and .44 Mag then, yeah? That's the reason I've never had an interest in .41, but a 10mm Mag would be cool for the reasons you mentioned.

So you'd agree with me that there's not much reason for a revolver between .357 and .44 Mag then, yeah? That's the reason I've never had an interest in .41, but a 10mm Mag would be cool for the reasons you mentioned.
Yep! I don't think it makes sense for me but it's pretty damn tempting.
All this talk about rimming, reaming & hot loads has me wondering if this is really an ammo thread...
If you go dark for a few minutes we'll know what sites you are browsing. [rofl]

Many years ago, not long after the 610 came out, I read an article about the 10mm magnum and the 610 the author re-chambered,
was as simple as extending the chambers in the cylinder and he still showed good accuracy of 10mm ammo after the conversion.

Screw the nay-sayers, if you want it, do it! Life's too short to shoot what everybody else does.

I have about 30 years of back issue Guns & Ammo mags, maybe it was in there ??

.357 Max would be fun in a lever action, but in a revolver? There's a reason it disappeared.

The .357 Max was originally introduced as a revolver round, Ruger and Dan Wesson made guns chambered for it.
The reason it failed in the marketplace is because it was too hot, literally.
Gasses escaping from the cylinder gap acted like a cutting torch and burned through the top strap of the frame.
I reload this round, but I use it in a T/C Contender. Having no gap for the flame to escape eliminates this problem. I've never seen a lever action chambered for it, but that does sound interesting.
However, lever actions tend to be very fussy about cartridge length, especially Model 92's, so I wouldn't expect one to cycle properly with .38's, .357 Mags and .357 Max rounds. It would most likely have to be dedicated for use with the .357 Max rounds only.

The .357 Max was originally introduced as a revolver round, Ruger and Dan Wesson made guns chambered for it.
The reason it failed in the marketplace is because it was too hot, literally.
Gasses escaping from the cylinder gap acted like a cutting torch and burned through the top strap of the frame.
I reload this round, but I use it in a T/C Contender. Having no gap for the flame to escape eliminates this problem. I've never seen a lever action chambered for it, but that does sound interesting.
However, lever actions tend to be very fussy about cartridge length, especially Model 92's, so I wouldn't expect one to cycle properly with .38's, .357 Mags and .357 Max rounds. It would most likely have to be dedicated for use with the .357 Max rounds only.
I know. I don't think that'd be the end of the world if it could only run .357 Max, we want rifles to be powerful and with Trail Boss or even Black Powder as a propellant, you could load it down effectively for lower recoil or a small game, pest control, low noise application.

The issue there is the .30-30 can do everything the .357 Max could do better and do more.

Many years ago, not long after the 610 came out, I read an article about the 10mm magnum and the 610 the author re-chambered,
was as simple as extending the chambers in the cylinder and he still showed good accuracy of 10mm ammo after the conversion.

Screw the nay-sayers, if you want it, do it! Life's too short to shoot what everybody else does.

I have about 30 years of back issue Guns & Ammo mags, maybe it was in there ??
The only issue with doing the rechambering is it voids the warranty. If Ruger or S&W would make a 10mm Magnum it wouldn't be an issue.

I expect nothing but resistence to an idea for anything that involves an new or otherwise undesirable caliber when I bring it up on NES. I can picture how the conversation would go in person...

Me: "Hey, if they offered the 686 in a 10mm Magnum that had similar power to the .41 Mag, but could shoot cheap .40 and 10mm Auto would you...?"

Some Green: "NO! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? WHAT PUSSY CAN'T SHOOT A .44 MAG? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT .44 MAG IS THE MOST WICKED POWAHFUL HANDGUN IN THE WORLD? CLINT EASTWOOD SAID SO IN A MOVIE A LONG TIME AGO, SO IT'S TRUE!"

Me: "Yeah, but it'd be a 6 shot in an L frame, not a 5 shot."

Green: "WITH A .44 YOU DON'T EVEN NEED IT TO BE A 1 SHOT. ONCE YOU PULL IT OUT WHATEVER SEES IT IS GONNA RUN AWAY KNOWIN' BETTA THAN TO MESS WITH A .44! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE THE AMMO IS? THAT RIGHT THERE TELLS YOU IT'S WORTH IT, YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR!"

Me: "So, you never shoot it?"

Green: "NO, I SHOOT IT ALL THE TIME, THAT'S WHY I HAVE TO YELL SO I CAN HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING CUZ THE .44 HAS SO MUCH POWAH THE BLAST MADE ME GO DEAF EVEN WITH HEARING PROTECTION! HAVEN'T SHOT IT LATELY, CAN'T FIND AMMO WHEN I GO TO CABELAS! PLENTY OF .40 SHORT & WEAK, BUT NONE OF THE MANLY .44!"

Me: "Huh. So it's better to own a really powerful gun that you can't shoot cuz of ammo shortages or shoot cheaply, but the 10mm Mag you can shoot is stupid?"

Green: "YUP."

Me: "Why?"

Green: "CUZ, THAT'S WHAT I SAID."

I don't think the 10mm magnum will do anything the .41 magnum will not but those who don't reload can shoot .40 out of the 10 and it will use moon clips without modification.

It's never about need 😎
That's true, but it's weighing benefit vs drawback with any offbeat caliber and a .40/.41 caliber revolver is perhaps the most unconventional caliber for a revolver and a reason why the .41 has never been a thing. Is .41 powerful? Yeah, but it's never been powerful enough to justify getting it over a .44 and the vaunted police load of a 200 grain bullet at 950 fps is basically low end 10mm Auto. For non-reloaders, it's gonna cost them roughly $40 for a box of .41 Mag vs $20 for 10mm, $17 for 40 S&W.

They could pay the same price, but get double the ammo. Shoot a box, put the other one away for the next panic.

So why even bother with a 10mm Magnum revolver if all their gonna shoot is 40 and 10mm Auto? Because if you can get a 10mm revolver that legit reaches .41 Mag territory, why not? The ammo would cost more than .41 Mag and only be available online (I know, that's a dealbreaker for Mass inmates) but at most someone would only keep a box or two for any times they'd head into the woods and mountains.

So, bottom line, someone is going to have a hard time finding any .41 Mag ammo that costs less than 75 cents a round and the cheapest stuff will be the same power as .40 is, but the 10mm Mag would be roughly as powerful, yet more useful than .41 is in a revolver given the lower price of .40 and 10mm Auto ammo whilst also being available in smaller frame revolvers than what .45 Colt/.45 ACP revolvers are available in.

I’ve been researching 45 super. I just like a caliber with “super” in the name. Hard to find that ammo right now though. I got into shooting at the wrong time.

I’ve been researching 45 super. I just like a caliber with “super” in the name. Hard to find that ammo right now though. I got into shooting at the wrong time.
I have nothing against the .45 revolvers, I love my Redhawk that's cut for moon clips to shoot .45 ACP, but it is a big, heavy gun and even the weakest 10mm Auto ammo is still more powerful than the .45 ACP.

The plus with the Redhawk is it will shoot .45 ACP, .45 Super, .45 GAP, .45 Colt (Ruger Only and standard pressure) and .45 S&W no problem.

The thing about the .45 Super in a revolver is given there is much better case support in the chambers, I don't think the thicker/stronger .45 Super case is necessary to shoot a hot load from .45 ACP brass. I've been loading my .45 ACP cases to .45 Super levels and shooting it in the Redhawk and have had no issues.

I have nothing against the .45 revolvers, I love my Redhawk that's cut for moon clips to shoot .45 ACP, but it is a big, heavy gun and even the weakest 10mm Auto ammo is still more powerful than the .45 ACP.

The plus with the Redhawk is it will shoot .45 ACP, .45 Super, .45 GAP, .45 Colt (Ruger Only and standard pressure) and .45 S&W no problem.
Thank you for the response. I’m just a girl learning these these things slowly. I have a SCCY handgun so far and would love to try a revolver.

I owned a 4" S&W 610 revolver for several years. It was a great gun. I shot it mostly in 10mm. Thought I did shoot it in .40 with moon clips.

I eventually sold it during the post NewTown panic for a ridiculous amount of money.
(It makes no sense to me either).

All this talk about rimming, reaming & hot loads has me wondering if this is really an ammo thread...
Wait until someone mentions the cologne.

Back on topic ...

I am for any revolver. As long as they have 8 shots. Anything under than 8 shots should be unacceptable today, except for big calibers like .500, 45/70, .460, .454 ...

Back
Top Bottom