• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would a 10mm Magnum revolver interest you?

You seem ill informed about the ballistics of 10mm Magnum. John Taffin chronographed the 10mm Mag going 1600 fps with a 200 grain bullet from an 8" barrel. That's far from being a .41 Special.

The point isn't so much to be ballistically superior to .41 Mag or even equal, but be close to it while being able to shoot cheap .40 S&W. Well, cheap compared to what .41 Mag ammo costs while also having the ability to shoot a near equal to .41 Mag power in 10mm Magnum.

I will concede that the S&W Model 69 in .44 Mag is hard to beat in terms of power to the size/weight of the revolver, but again, ammo cost becomes a factor if you don't reload.
I have a Smith model 69 and I'm about to start working up hot 44 special loads for it. I know I'm late to the party since Elmer Keith did this years ago but I still expect to have a bit of fun since he didn't have a 69 to work with. I'll be using Gold Dot projectiles. I want to work up a load for coyotes that will be decisive when woods / dog walking. My brother shot a coyote in his back yard while stealing a chicken. I swear it was bigger than a German Shepard. Longer legs too. Anyway I expect the load process to be fun.

Last edited:
Wait until someone mentions the cologne.

Back on topic ...

I am for any revolver. As long as they have 8 shots. Anything under than 8 shots should be unacceptable today, except for big calibers like .500, 45/70, .460, .454 ...
You hating on my JM625 Bro? Cause it sounds like you are.

I mean, if I wanted more power than a 10mm auto, I’d just go with a shouldered rifle cartridge in a carbine or SBR. There’s a point where extra power in a handgun is silly.

But BEARS! [rofl]

To be fair, have you seen some of the bears out there?
Hank-the-Tank-burglar-bear-captured-4897359.jpg

If I wanted a revolver in that bore size, I'd get a 41 magnum. I reload so many calibers, one more wouldn't matter and I could have whatever power level I wanted.

I would rather shoot 9x25 Dillon.
115gr bullet traveling at 1800fps through a 6" barrel. 10mm necked down to 9mm.

I mean, if I wanted more power than a 10mm auto, I’d just go with a shouldered rifle cartridge in a carbine or SBR. There’s a point where extra power in a handgun is silly.
I agree to some extent, there's a reason I don't own a .44 Mag and the only reason I own the .45 Colt Redhawk (that can be loaded to .44 mag power levels) is because it's also .45 ACP and one of the few DA .45 Colt revolvers that isn't also .410 chambered. That and it's just a great fukking revolver.

My focus on topics like this is never so much about specific need, but what's likely to sell to the general public. The market has spoken on .41 revolvers, they don't give shit about them, if they did the .41 wouldn't be in last place in terms of popularity for revolvers. The 10mm? There's a reason it has resurged in popularity for autos, thus a crossover into revolvers isn't unthinkable.

The problem is revolvers are declining in popularity and the two things that keep them around is the reliability and the increased power. Give the general public the choice between a 10mm Auto revolver or the more powerful 10mm Mag that can still shoot 10mm Auto and the choice will be easy.

But until 10mm Mag revolvers are made that choice can't be made and all that Ruger and S&W have to do to offer the 10mm Mag in a revolver is to ream the chambers deeper.

Back
Top Bottom