• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worth the time and money for a new handguard?

I want to change out my handguard but because of Massachusetts the brake is welded on, so I can't get the gas block off which means I can't get the barrel nut off. Does anyone have any recommendations of places that don't charge an arm and leg to remove a pinned muzzle brake, swap out to a new handguard and then weld a new muzzle brake on?

I looked at Parker Mountain Machine and they charge $300 to do it, at that price I'm just leaving it alone.

I want to change out my handguard but because of Massachusetts the brake is welded on, so I can't get the gas block off which means I can't get the barrel nut off. Does anyone have any recommendations of places that don't charge an arm and leg to remove a pinned muzzle brake, swap out to a new handguard and then weld a new muzzle brake on?

I looked at Parker Mountain Machine and they charge $300 to do it, at that price I'm just leaving it alone.
So what is your price point?
Is there a upper out there that fits your needs?
Take what you would pay for the work + what you could get for your upper and see what that can buy you.

or just buy a dremel with the metal cutting discs. Grind off the weld and change out your parts.
Find local shop to zap a weld on the brake.

There are some handguards that are made for this application, use original barrel nut and will fit over a muzzle device. Daniel Defence Omega is the one that comes to mind, but im sure there are others out there

So what is your price point?
Is there a upper out there that fits your needs?
Take what you would pay for the work + what you could get for your upper and see what that can buy you.

or just buy a dremel with the metal cutting discs. Grind off the weld and change out your parts.
Im leaning that way, wish I knew how to weld!

Go see Vinny at Shawsheen Firearms in Billerica. No idea what he'd charge but he did some nice work for me when I lived in MA and he has a shop attached to his shop so machining should be easy enough.

I work close to that place, I'm going to stop by and check it out. Thanks

$300 for the hand guard and the work? Maybe not so bad if parts included but does seem high if not.

Pullman in Worcester does a great job and always for reasonable $.

$300 for the hand guard and the work? Maybe not so bad if parts included but does seem high if not.

Pullman in Worcester does a great job and always for reasonable $.

I would have to buy the handguard, PMM has a price for machining services to remove old brake and weld a new one on. I have a lot of parker muntain machine stuff and they are great, but for $285 I could buy a new barrel and brake.

I would have to buy the handguard, PMM has a price for machining services to remove old brake and weld a new one on. I have a lot of parker muntain machine stuff and they are great, but for $285 I could buy a new barrel and brake.

seems like you answered your own question...

There are some handguards that are made for this application, use original barrel nut and will fit over a muzzle device. Daniel Defence Omega is the one that comes to mind, but im sure there are others out there

This is a great solution. They come in both 7” for carbine gas systems and 9” for midlength, and are now available in picatinny, Keymod, or MLOK. The picatinny version is battle proven, and I imagine the keymod/MLOK is sturdy too.

OP, the Daniel Defense Omega rails are free float and use the mil spec barrel nut and delta ring. And the rail is two piece so there is no need to remove the barrel or even the FSB.

This is a great solution. They come in both 7” for carbine gas systems and 9” for midlength, and are now available in picatinny, Keymod, or MLOK. The picatinny version is battle proven, and I imagine the keymod/MLOK is sturdy too.

OP, the Daniel Defense Omega rails are free float and use the mil spec barrel nut and delta ring. And the rail is two piece so there is no need to remove the barrel or even the FSB.

thanks, I’ll check them out.

I would just go for a new barrel, various places now sell them with pre pinned muzzle breaks slim enough so anything needed will pass over. Then you got a spare barrel when it's all said and done too.

Edit: or even a new complete upper. You can spend the same changing things around versus just buying what you want sometimes.

Dremmel off the weld and change to your hearts content. When you’re done just “permanently” re attach the muzzle device.

It doesn’t say how, just needs to be permanent.

[QUOTE="mac1911,

Now there’s a disaster waiting to happen...[rofl]
[/QUOTE]
Depends on the "ability" of the user really.

OK
[/Q
shop around you could get a new upper !

OK
[/QUOTE]
Really , If someone cant manage to figure this out with all the youtube and forum info to grind enough of a weld off to get a pinned brake off .....im getting more worried each day.

Back
Top Bottom