Worth getting the AG permit now?

it's just a joke
It is Rhode Island, you can never tell.

2 AGs ago, his wife came in and trashed (and I mean trashed) his office and starting hitting him because he was cheating on her with an obnoxious woman who lobbied for anti-gun crap.

They forced everyone to sign non-disclosure agreements and the AG slept on a couch in Massachusetts for a while.

the chances of him overruling himself are FAR greater than a district court overruling a police department's denial of a MA LTC
The chances of the Supreme Court are pretty darn high though, right?

However.... UNTIL we start seeing people actually start getting approved. Everything is speculation.
... but GOOD speculation, right? At least we're looking in the right direction when we're looking to the future.

The chances of the Supreme Court are pretty darn high though, right?

... but GOOD speculation, right? At least we're looking in the right direction when we're looking to the future.
The chances of the Supremes accepting a case is around 1%.

A former gun instructor from RI who has since moved to the Midwest openly carried for 3 straight days and documented it on TTAG. Most didn’t notice, even on Thayer street in Providence.

Those who did just assumed he was a cop. He went to a cigar lounge in Providence and a pool hall.

A few administrations ago, BCI sent a memo to police chiefs to remind their officers that AG permit holders could openly carry.

Two reasons why I want the AG permit is:

1. Some states for purposes of reciprocity only will recognize permits from the RI AG.

2. Open carry is allowed with AG permit. While going shopping, out to eat etc. Is not a big issue To not open carry. What is, is if I am hiking, camping, or out on a boat or fishing, or on a beach somewhere.

Now here in Texas, I open carry everywhere unless it isn’t legally allowed. Private businesses here have the option to allow concealed carry, but deny open carry.

One other thing to note….

As of this morning…

Young v Hawaii on open carry permitting was GVR (Grant Vacate remand) in light of NYSPRA v Bruen.

As long as the 9th circuit does what it’s suppose too. It in effect rules that open carry is now required of all states. No state May ban or prevent open carry with a permit.

Now the question will be, is if a state can separate the two meaning, one LTC for conceal and other for Open. Or if one permit automatically is required to cover both.

Suffice it to say… Open carry is soon coming to those states that currently don’t allow open carry.

Two reasons why I want the AG permit is:

1. Some states for purposes of reciprocity only will recognize permits from the RI AG.

2. Open carry is allowed with AG permit. While going shopping, out to eat etc. Is not a big issue To not open carry. What is, is if I am hiking, camping, or out on a boat or fishing, or on a beach somewhere.

Now here in Texas, I open carry everywhere unless it isn’t legally allowed. Private businesses here have the option to allow concealed carry, but deny open carry.

Texas is the only state that recognizes an AG license over a town license.

As far as beaches, be sure it’s not a state park. An AG permit doesn’t cover state parks.

Texas is the only state that recognizes an AG license over a town license.

As far as beaches, be sure it’s not a state park. An AG permit doesn’t cover state parks.

Pretty soon that may not matter anymore. We shall see. I foresee though that state parks, parks, etc will be challenged soon. Maybe not in RI but some state. At some point that will go nationwide.

We are all so used to loosing cases for the last 10 years, it’s hard to imagine us wining any.

But if you want to get technical. We have won 5 cases in less then a month!

They will of course use that argument, and it might stand up in from a liberal judge. I doubt however it would make it past Justice Thomas.

Keep in mind what the new protocol. Two tier is no long allowed. Now strict with use of TTH.

And maybe they can get away with a few denials. However if they get swamped with applications and they start getting 5 or 10 thousand denials. Any of the former May Issue states may find themselves in even bigger trouble.

For instance it is estimated that about 5,000 apps have allready been submitted for Maryland, and about the same number or more for California.

One person who works at the police barracks in NJ told me they have already received 300 applications at their barracks alone. In the last week.

I dont think the states are going to deny many.

Where the states "Think" they can get away with, is sensitive places.

Only time will tell...

In 90 days, lets see if the states deny or not.

I WILL appeal in federal district court if the state AG denies me though for anything subjective and not objective.
Id be filing in Federal Court. I would be using Paul Clement. I am sure you know him.

Do you have an update for us regarding if the Attorney General issued to you under 11-47-18a?

It’s been past the 90 day window so unless they have been going extra slow, I’m assuming a decision has been made regarding your application.

The RI AG maintains that it may continue ,may issue/need base because town permits provide a shall issue option.

Town permits do not allow open carry.

Therefore, there is an attack surface to litigate the issue, with the only defense likely to save the AG the trouble of issuing permits would be for RI law to be changed to allow open carry.

The RI AG maintains that it may continue ,may issue/need base because town permits provide a shall issue option.

Town permits do not allow open carry.

Therefore, there is an attack surface to litigate the issue, with the only defense likely to save the AG the trouble of issuing permits would be for RI law to be changed to allow open carry.
texas Grill Chief said he applied for an AG permit and he would fight a denial with Paul Clement.

I’m very curious to see if they gave him the permit and if not, when we can expect to see Paul Clement file a lawsuit.

texas Grill Chief said he applied for an AG permit and he would fight a denial with Paul Clement.

I’m very curious to see if they gave him the permit and if not, when we can expect to see Paul Clement file a lawsuit.
Likely to start with attorney to AG negotiation; permit issues; no precedent set.

I am interested as well. I just don’t want to have to list a denial on my applications when renewing my permits.

Bob

I’ve had multiple denials over my lifetime. No one cares. They weren’t due to suitability.
Same. The only denials I've had were pre-Bruen "may-issue" bs and I honestly reported them on apps for which disclosure was required. So far it hasn't had any adverse impact.

Although I'm 99% positive states can only see CCW/CPL/LTC denials for their own state as this isn't a national thing. So if you were denied a CCW in Texas and applied for a CCW in Ri and didn't disclose that I doubt they'd find out anyways.

Still don't recommend lying because if the issuing authority does find out later down the road it is grounds for revocation.

Back
Top Bottom