1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Worman v. Baker (MA AWB) Oral Arguments 1-9-2019

Discussion in 'Comm2a' started by newportri, Jan 9, 2019.

1. newportri

newportri

Today the First Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral arguments in Worman v. Baker to challenge the MA AWB. Audio will probably be posted tomorrow, January 10th, at First Circuit Oral Arguments

For more information on the case, please visit Worman v. Baker - Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (comm2a.org).
    There are some rather strange "evidence" that AWB are effective from Stop Handgun Violence that you can read about in the link above.

"Extensive research also establishes the terrible cost – emotional, social, and economic – that is borne by places where mass shootings occur. The assault weapons ban has effectively shielded Massachusetts from these horrific costs for the last two decades. The assault weapons ban is constitutional and the district court properly upheld it."

Hopefully the court will say the ban is unconstitutional, but we will probably have to wait a while before we have a ruling and regardless of the outcome it will most likely be petitioned to SCOTUS I would think.
    If anyone were there maybe they can chime in so we don't have to wait until tomorrow...

Boris and Enzo like this.

2. Inside Out

Inside Out NES Member

I was not there but I know enough about the First Circuit to know that we aren’t going to like the outcome.

Len-2A Training and Palladin like this.
  3. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

regardless of outcome, let's have the cards on the table and let POS put this bullshit in writing.

Climbnsink likes this.
  4. newportri

newportri

5. newportri

newportri

After having listened to the arguments from both sides, I am not so optimistic on the outcome since the justices were a lot more critical to the plaintiff's lawyer. It didn't seem like that the court bought the argument that it was a ban on a class of weapons since not all semi automatic guns were banned. The defendant's lawyer argued that these weapons (ie. ar-15) were offensive weapons with no defensive uses...

6. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

Is the offensive/defensive justification for gun rights a new argument? Historically I think the intent of the 2A was offensive. Defense is just value added.

H-minus likes this.
  7. Coyote33

Coyote33

Didn't Miller decision say something about a short shotgun or something not used by military?

8. Waher

Waher NES Member

The MSP training manual states that patrol rifles are great for defense. Maybe enter it as an exhibit?

9. doctorbossman

doctorbossman NES Member

The judges' logic that restriction on AR style rifles is not a ban on them, just leads to the expansion of restrictions until it is a defacto ban.

The defendant's/AAG also argued that self defense isn't self defense until AR shots are fired or that more than 10 handgun shots are fired.

My AR with 30rd mag is definitely defending my house and she can't tell me otherwise.

10. Inside Out

Inside Out NES Member

Retired SCOTUS Justice Souter is on the 3-judge panel for this case.

Souter, you may recall, was one of the 4 dissenting votes in Heller.

So you should have a pretty good sense of how he's going to decide this one.

11. steve8140

steve8140 NES Member

I just listened to the entire argument, while the judges questioned both parties, I think our side made some very valid points. I hope these judges rule in our favor but the past leads me to think this will stand as is.

12. babygorilla

babygorilla NES Member

It is.

Mesatchornug and Waher like this.
  13. Coyote33

Coyote33

14. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Page 25!