• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Working on my CCW application in Florida

I'm hoping that someone can help me as I have seen conflicting information online. I currently have my permit in CT, my home state. I want to apply in Florida as I travel here often. I see that I can apply for an out of state permit by mail and I have read the instructions and have filled out all of the info. My question is Florida has a $42 fee for fingerprinting. I went to my local police station and got fingerprinted on an FBI card. Does this mean that I still have the pay the $42 fee to Florida? Also the license fee I see online is listed as either $55 or $60 for out of state residents. Does anyone know which it is? I want to make sure that I get everything submitted correctly so that everything goes smoothly. Thanks!

The $42 fee is not for the fingerprinting, but for processing the fingerprint card once submitted to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Not sure about the current license fee.

Call the licensing unit at 850-245-5691 (the "direct all inquiries to" number on the back of my FL CCW)

For anyone else wondering, $55 is in fact the license fee and the $97 total ($42 for fingerprints and $55 for license) can be submitted as one money order. Thanks again for the help Rob!

I just went through this 2 months ago. As Rob said the $42 is for PROCESSING the fingerprint card. It MUST be done at a Police Department and they will need to stamp it on the reverse side as the Florida instructions indicate. Most are not already stamped there. This is NOT the side where the prints are.

As I recall the total is $97 and you can definitely use one money order or check, whichever they require. The application will tell you how much and how to submit it, you need to request the application from them. Each one has a unique identifier that you can use to track progress online.

It took them about 6 weeks to START processing mine, then another 6 or so for me to get my license in the mail. Yeah, right around 3 months total. I submitted mine first week in February, got the license the end of April.

For anyone else wondering, $55 is in fact the license fee and the $97 total ($42 for fingerprints and $55 for license) can be submitted as one money order. Thanks again for the help Rob!

If you are a veteran include your DD-214 and select the expedited processing. It is free and I received mine 2-1/2 weeks from the day I mailed it.

Bob

Unless FL has changed their policy, the prints had to be done on THEIR print-card, NOT the FBI standard card. Make sure that you check that out or they will bounce your application and demand you re-do the prints. This was still true a few years ago as mine is up for renewal later this year and I don't think that I'll bother renewing again as I no longer need it and never actually took advantage of it anyway.

If you are a veteran include your DD-214 and select the expedited processing. It is free and I received mine 2-1/2 weeks from the day I mailed it.

Bob

Where is the expedited processing option? I indicated on the application that I am a veteran and I have included a copy of my DD-214 but I do not see anything listed as an expedited option.

Unless FL has changed their policy, the prints had to be done on THEIR print-card, NOT the FBI standard card. Make sure that you check that out or they will bounce your application and demand you re-do the prints. This was still true a few years ago as mine is up for renewal later this year and I don't think that I'll bother renewing again as I no longer need it and never actually took advantage of it anyway.

I called 850-245-5691 (listed above) and the representative confirmed that they will accept fingerprints on an FBI card.

Where is the expedited processing option? I indicated on the application that I am a veteran and I have included a copy of my DD-214 but I do not see anything listed as an expedited option.

I called 850-245-5691 (listed above) and the representative confirmed that they will accept fingerprints on an FBI card.

It is right below your email address.

I used the fingerprint card that the Florida Department of Agriculture mailed me.

I also paid with a personal check.

Bob

Same here. Their card, your PD and have them stamp or fill out the back.

To the best of my recollection, the fingerprint card that they sent me to use (for my initial issue and renwal) was a standard FBI FD-258 Applicant fingerprint card BUT it was preprinted with ORI information for the issuing authority in Florida and 790.06 in the reason field.

Im also in CT and just renewed my FL a couple months ago. Just wanted to mention that you dont need separate checks for the fees. They actually let you ADD! Worked for me anyway.. ymmv

Back
Top Bottom