Working in MASS

My wife was recently laid off, she's the one with the Master's and the bigger breadwinner, and had been in the interviewing process at another potential employer in MASS. Low and behold 3 days after being let go, she is hired at a better position with more greenbacks. My question is this, we live in CT. and she will now work in MASS., what will be the implications? Our healthcare, we are going to pay for the out of network plan in order to keep our current healthcare scenario. My big wonder is tax implications and anything else I may be missing.

The healthcare should be pretty good for a decent company.
You'll get taxed primarily in CT and only a little little bit from MASS.
No worries, there are tons of people in my office that live in CT and work here.

Congrats for her job.

Last edited:
Also, I've heard from two folks that MA healthcare from an employer is sometimes a bit cheaper and better than CT... don't know for sure so YMMV

Last edited:
At the end of the year, she will have to file a Form 1-NR/PY, Massachusetts Nonresident/Part-year Resident Income Tax Return.

With respect to Romneycare, if your wife is getting healthcare through her employer, then she should be all set with the state mandate.

The Income Tax difference is only .3% (Higher in Mass 5.3%), unless she makes over 500k a year, in which case its 6.5% in CT. Gas is cheaper there, Sales tax is a little higher (.25%)..Not sure about Health Care..I work in CT but my Health Care is 100% covered by my Employer...

At the end of the year, she will have to file a Form 1-NR/PY, Massachusetts Nonresident/Part-year Resident Income Tax Return.

With respect to Romneycare, if your wife is getting healthcare through her employer, then she should be all set with the state mandate.

The state mandate only applies to residents, as a NH resident filing a MA NR tax return I don't have to furnish them any health care 1099

Romney and Deval can both K.M.A.

I thought of that NR tax return and since we are staying with our docs and just paying a bit more into the HC plan to do this, I'm hoping we can take that as a deduction. She's adding a bit more on the drive but the gas prices will be lower in MASS, the 4-5 dollar/gallon thing is going to suck. My wife wants to move to MASS, but I told her it would be without me. The company may/will be moving the branch she's working out of to Holyoke and if that happens, Extreme southern VT. here we come.

I thought of that NR tax return and since we are staying with our docs and just paying a bit more into the HC plan to do this, I'm hoping we can take that as a deduction. She's adding a bit more on the drive but the gas prices will be lower in MASS, the 4-5 dollar/gallon thing is going to suck. My wife wants to move to MASS, but I told her it would be without me. The company may/will be moving the branch she's working out of to Holyoke and if that happens, Extreme southern VT. here we come.

If the company moves the branch to Holyoke, wouldn't it make more sense just to move within CT? That's a bit of a hike down from VT to Holyoke.

VT has better gun laws! We already live in Northern/eastern CT and we could move to Suffield or Somers, Enfield is out of the question. Brattleboro is only 40 minutes to Holyoke, timed it the other day coming back from Montreal. But yes, the northern part of CT is a big possibility.

40 minutes doesn't seem big until you have to do it twice a day! My previous job was in CT (I'm in western MA), and that was one of the things that led me to leaving that job. Guess it depends how much you like driving...

40 minutes doesn't seem big until you have to do it twice a day! My previous job was in CT (I'm in western MA), and that was one of the things that led me to leaving that job.
My commute runs between 40 minutes each way on a good day. 1 hour + on a bad day. I've been doing it for years.

And it just sucks.

40 minutes isn't a bad commute, talk to some of the folk from NY, Chicago, LA and you'll hear some real horror stories. My commute in Chicago was about 1.5 hours each way, on public transit.

Now I only drive down to Mass a few days a month, but I have to account for each day so I can pay NR income tax to MA. And I always make sure to pack my lunch and fill the gas tank before I leave NH.

Congrats to the Missus on the new job.

The biggest concern is that spending 8 hours a day in Massachusetts may slowly begin to erode her rational thought process and turn her into a pinko, communist, bleeding heart liberal. Change all her radio presets to conservative stations or she may slip into the dark side

Congrats to the Missus on the new job.

The biggest concern is that spending 8 hours a day in Massachusetts may slowly begin to erode her rational thought process and turn her into a pinko, communist, bleeding heart liberal. Change all her radio presets to conservative stations or she may slip into the dark side

[laugh2] so true! Of course you still have to be afraid of the influence from her MA coworkers...

40 minutes isn't a bad commute, talk to some of the folk from NY, Chicago, LA and you'll hear some real horror stories. My commute in Chicago was about 1.5 hours each way, on public transit.

Now I only drive down to Mass a few days a month, but I have to account for each day so I can pay NR income tax to MA. And I always make sure to pack my lunch and fill the gas tank before I leave NH.

Yea, the ride from CT where we live now will be 50 minutes to the parking lot, and the first part is stop and go, so if I can get her to go up to VT. then its a straight shot 40 minutes on 91, maybe 45, and there are rarely any traffic issues on that stretch of 91 from the VT border south. Now, when she gets wrapped up in Springfield traffic coming home I'm sure that will convince her to move. I would friggin love to get up to VT or even into NH on the VT/NH/MASS line. Me, I'll just keep my business going and be able to service my clients from up there and expand into that area.

Back
Top Bottom