• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Working For A Living In The Days Of CoronaV

I won't lie... I've been working while watching my co-workers lose their jobs, furloughed, or outright laid off.... People I know are good people. People I cared about. It's been giving me anxiety... I've been having difficulty sleeping. I'm not afraid to admit it...

Sorry to hear that.

We never stopped.
For a few weeks in March right after it went bonkers , we slowed down .
As soon a good weather hit we went balls out.
Part of it was now that so many people are home that they are noticing every little thing.

Some days are more stressful than others .
We have to do our job and balance it with taking care of ourselves too.
Add to the mix people who just don't give a shit about anyone else .
We had a nursing home / rehab center call with an issue and they walked our guy right through the covid floor and never said a word till the guy was almost done with the job.
The dude there had no idea how close he came to the kid busting his jaw.
Wonder why it spreads through these places like wildfire ? Hint: They are run by idiots.

Three days after that I got a call from a group home about a problem they had.
Went in , did my thing and as I was putting my gear back in the truck I was chatting with a gal that works there.
The usual "Hows everybody holding up through this ? " ect.
She then says "Oh not good , it's going through the house and one guy died two weeks ago."
I'm telling you that if it had been a guy , the only thing that would have beat him to the ER would have been the headlights on the ambulance .
I did however cuss her ass our with every choice word I've learned in a lifetime.

Now we have to ask screener questions because people suck and I still proceed as if they lied.

I'm happy to be working , but i'm glad I don't drink anymore.

I let my NRAEMT expire this year. It wasn't ever my primary profession. Wasn't even what I made money off of, just something I enjoyed. But the job is not going to be even remotely enjoyable anytime soon. Sucks.

Never stopped working I'm essential. Covid is a joke to most that have had to work thru this.

The Friday conference calls are the best. Half the people on the call are essentials that have been working thru this whole thing. The other half are non essentials claiming they are scared to come back, yet really just want 2 more weeks of their 4 month vacation, because if you check what these idiots are doing on facebook, its got nothing to do with working, and they don't seem to be very scared of going out and doing things. Yet the higher ups placate their worried pussies, as we who are working all along sit and feel like we are getting kicked in the junk at the same time.

So Fridays are very demotivating and very little gets done after the call.

Glad to be working though.....the only thing I'm worried about is the governent totally f***ing things up and me and my wife losing our jobs because of it. Same as I have worried since day one of this bullshit. But if that does happen, I'll take my shit and finally just move to another state that isn't retarded. If anything it will get me off my ass to do that.

Meetings (Zoom or live) aren't work. Meetings are the antithesis of work. They're what those people incapable of working do.

I’m glad you pointed this out. I guess I just do nothing all day as I have easy 8-9 meetings a day. Hummm. Seems like a lot of work but I guess not. I’ll let my boss know I’m redundant and see how it goes😳

Find it funny how diluted the term 'essential' is.

I work in manufacturing/engineering for big beer. We are all considered essential. Everyone needs their alcohol I guess.

Haven't been to my office since March. My team learned that we really never had to be there to begin with. WFH is an adjustment. Some have it far easier than others. My co-workers with wives and kiddos are begging to come back!

Past several years I was traveling 25%. I'm missing that life a bit. Free meals, hotel points, fun cities.

Initially I struggled 'disconnecting' from work. Decided I have to be deliberate about it. The commute home used to be my 30 minutes of solace and I miss that. Now, at the end of my day (530) I turn OFF my work cellphone and shutdown the work laptop. And then I go for a stroll or do some other activity to take my mind off work. Otherwise I blur the line between home and work and my balance gets off kilter.

Meetings (Zoom or live) aren't work. Meetings are the antithesis of work. They're what those people incapable of working do.

Really? I've made more since lockdown than I did all last year. Also built enough business to keep 8 engineers employed for 3+ years. Havent left the house and did this all through zoom and ms teams. Sure beats the heck out of the 40 weeks/year of travel I've done for the last 20 years or so.

Where I work has made a point telling people to take frequent breaks away from their desk while working remote (same as when in the physical office). So no changes there. I'm fairly lucky in that I have a cool manager and director above him. If I need to shoot out to run an errand, since so many business are not open on weekends these days (where they were before) I have to get things while they have open doors. Sometimes that's more of 'curbside pickup' since the places are not letting people in. BUT still open and I can buy what I need.

For those odd days where I work later into the evening, it's a LOT easier on me now. Mostly because I'm no longer 45+ minutes from when I shut down my computer, to when I'm able to start making dinner. Now, it's 2 minutes (at most).

Luckily, I don't have too many meetings that I need to attend each week. Some are only if I need to get a change approved. Others are bi-weekly meetings with a vendor. Then there's the normal group/team meetings that went on before as well. One additional meeting is every other Friday. "Team Happy Hour" as it's called. Basically, all of us that report to the same manager (about six in the US for this) get on a MS Teams call and shoot the shit and drink. 4pm on those Fridays.

I do make it a point to NOT schedule any meetings that go beyond 5pm. I'll only pick up calls when I'm on call after that (or on those weekends). I MIGHT pick up if there's P1 call and I'm not in the middle of some project (weekends mostly) or exercising. Our on call rotation hours are 9am-9pm for those seven days. So none of that 24 hour BS that used to be the norm for an on call rotation.

It should be interesting what the new year will bring for the work remote, or in physical locations. Supposedly they're going to decide in another couple of weeks IF they're going to open the Lowell offices again on September 8th. With how things are going at this point, I don't expect that to happen. I'll be surprised if they open them before the new year. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we go into Spring of 2021 before they even THINK about having people go back in. I'm hoping that they realize how little difference it's made with WHERE we work from, we're still getting things done and such. If anything, we're quicker to respond to urgent needs now than before the whole WuTangFlu started. No more "Shit, I'm driving home (or into the office). I can't do anything for another XX minutes. Sorry."

I won't lie... I've been working while watching my co-workers lose their jobs, furloughed, or outright laid off.... People I know are good people. People I cared about. It's been giving me anxiety... I've been having difficulty sleeping. I'm not afraid to admit it...

Mental health issues are no different then the next guy's back issues. People who disagree need to get the f_ck over themselves... It's not macho to deny yourself the care you need... It's stupid...

I was part of a large layoff a few years ago and one of the guys in my group that was not being let go was taking it harder than anyone being let go. He felt like he didn't deserve to be the one staying (we did mostly the same job). I had to reassure him that I would find a job quickly and he had been there a lot longer than me and I should be the one let go if someone had to from our group. As it turned out, I had a new job before my last 2 weeks of work were up and for a lot more money than I was making there. Things have a way of working out.

I'm self employed HVAC I stayed working, but for a few months did only emergency calls.
But right now, Damn balls to the walls busy with new installs, additions, new construction. And I'm not alone, supply houses are going crazy filling orders, the economy is coming back fast.

Ironically those that spend their day on Zoom are the ones getting paid more. Go figure.
iu

My guys haven't stopped working, critical infrastructure and all. And that means everyone in my office pretty much kept working. I am their Safety Manager so that means I kept working. My commute is less (working from home) but my hours are longer now. I tend to put in more time becasue of no commute. Additionally, my guys work all hours, so if something happens I am on call anyway, whether in the office or at home.

I thought I would get less done working from home, but my "goof off time" stayed the same, but my working day got longer. And with the baby in daycare again becasue the wife is also working from home (she did a lot before the Scamdemic), I have less time doing other things besides work.

I been workiNg right through this, we make pharmaceuticals so we are “Essential”. I’m happy to be in my work routine. No “Hazard” pay like the company down the street who is paying their employees an extra $100 a day to show up for work. I’d rather stay in my routine than be at home doing nothing, it’s better all around for your physical and mental heath in my opinion.

I work in the homebuilding sector. In my experience, nobody cares about the corona. NO-BO-DY! From day 1 till now I haven't missed a day due to it. It's not even a topic of conversation. It's a non-issue.
My wife works at a quick-care type facility. She hasn't missed a day either. But the virus has made her work day a living hell. Masks all day. People coming in and bitching at her because of the protocols they have to adhere to. Protocols change every day, too. She's had it.

<mild rant>

Am i crazy to think the folks who've been living off government handouts over the last 3-4 months have had the better deal ? A once-in-a-lifetime (we hope) "excuse" to take the easier of the two paths, stay home in their pj's, get paid, and say to anyone who asks "what ya going to do...it's the Corona...not my fault" ?

</rant>

I hear ya man.

Although the free handout didn't work so well for my ex-wife, which I got a chuckle out of.
She wanted to milk the system so she used the drop-a-dime line put in place by the FemiNazi a.g..
You don't have to go back to work, doesn't mean you can't get canned because of that.

Been goin the whole time. I like the lack of people around. Extended wait on parts, partly due to shutdowns, partly due to Chinese embargo, but whatever.
No visits from the traveling sales types trying to convince me their cutoff wheels and airlines are better than everything out there, which is an added bonus. No drivers bugging me. I'm living in an introverts paradise.

Wifes been working from home the since April and loves it. Holds some exec position at a "retail bank" as she calls it doing f.t.c. compliance. In June, they wouldn't be back in the office until Jan 1.
In July, they'd only need 25% in the office at any given time, and would probably only for meetings and whatever would require a physical presence.
She's lovin it. 96% efficiency, works in sweat pants, no losing 3 hours a day in traffic, and still makes 96 grand a year.

No drivers bugging me. I'm living in an introverts paradise.
One of the engineers who works for a customer of mine - and who is well aware I'm an Aspie - came right out and said, "Man, you must really be digging this." [laugh]

The freebies thing was never going to happen for me, as it would require I lay myself off effectively shuttering the business. Dumb, especially considering I picked up an extra five-figure gig. (That said, it was busy in March setting up work-from-home etc. for everyone, then SLOOOOOOW April and May, then busy as f*** again starting June.)

This is the longest I've been off an airplane in 20 years. I was a 60 night Hilton Diamond, Admirals Club, Hertz President Circle traveler, albeit all domestic. When I wasn't traveling I was working from home with my wife going into the office every day.

My wife and I have been married over 30 years and get along pretty well. It has taken some adjustments with both of us working from home, going nowhere separately, and being around each other 24x7. We joke about it a bit but I've been going out of my way to be a little nicer, cook and clean more, and most importantly keep my damn mouth shut instead of trying to make a sarcastic comment.

I've told two coworkers who have been through this with their girlfriends that they should get married. If you can get through his madness with most of your sanity, your not going to find a better person.

Been working the whole time. Had sales guys complain when we called them back in cause they were making way more money being unemployed...
Company I work for is still chasing 6 workers that were legit laid off at the beginning of the shutdowns. Company has called them back to work and they claim they are "scared" of covid and refusing to come back.....but we all know better don't we......$600 a week on top of mass unemployment is a hell of a pay raise. The whole $600 a week was f***ing dumb. Should have been capped at no more than the employees current weekly pay.

I can't complain at all. Kept my job through all of this and I make more than I would've from unemployment. I have the room at home to set up an office to try and separate work from home. The dog gets me out of the house so I can get some air. The time I used to spend commuting I now spend working out and reading before work even starts in the morning.

These COVID times are different from what we're used to, no doubt about that. But you have to make an effort to adjust and make the best of it. I'm not going to be jealous of someone sitting around collecting UI while I work when I know that next week the federal gravy train stops and they'll be left without a job. So I think I can deal with staying at home all day, dealing with Zoom meetings, etc - life could be much worse than this, so really I'm just counting my blessings.

I am not a mental health expert but I find that a routine helps a lot get up get dressed physical and mental activity shut off the news and read or turn on some music.
I was furloughed for a while and I had to hustle at my what is normally a side business (electrical work) to make up the difference. Just when I was called back landed a new better job that had been in the works.

Good point about routine. Since WFH started in March, I've definitely found that discipline helps me a lot.

Company I work for is still chasing 6 workers that were legit laid off at the beginning of the shutdowns. Company has called them back to work and they claim they are "scared" of covid and refusing to come back.....but we all know better don't we......$600 a week on top of mass unemployment is a hell of a pay raise. The whole $600 a week was f***ing dumb. Should have been capped at no more than the employees current weekly pay.

While I agree, how do you police that?? Effectively the Feds said, "are you getting State UE? Then here is $600." As I've said before, my daughter in Missouri got her hours cut from 40 to 32. Got to collect for 4 weeks on Missouri UE (something like $20-40/wk - because. . . it's 8 hours) AND a full $600 from Uncle. All benefits of her employer's scam to NOT show layoffs to Wall Street. It's an awful company run awfully. It's a cluster-bleep from top to bottom. But at least on this one she pocketed $2,400 from their incompetence.

I've been working through it all, no overtime though. That hurt. My girlfriend had to close her practice through it all, for about 13 weeks. We made it through and shes back to work. Hats off to her because she spent the time at home getting her yoga teaching certification, so she made the best of it and now has another source of income. She was baking alot while at home... Now I need to shed the Covid-19lbs I gained in the last 4 months!

It's hard to complain. I'll be honest and say I'm a bit jealous at those that I know that were able to get the UE+600$ and stay home and get tons of stuff done around the house. Though I would have lost my mind and developed bad habits. I agree with @Sparkey in that maintaining even some resemblance of a normal routine has helped ALOT.

Tough for sure..and I don’t agree with the extra $600 for everyone. I keep hearing from local businesses “our people won’t come back because they make more on unemployment”..sickening and exactly why all government programs are abused and lead to laziness (ie. The entire SNAP program) on top of it all I know small business owners that were denied unemployment because they kept their doors open but had no customers...what a crock of $hit.

anyhew, only real silver lining is the lack of commute. Who knows when his will end, but I’ve started to look for out of MA rentals...figure even if we go back into the office it will not be for 5 days a week. Perhaps this is the impetuous that finally gets me out of MA

While I agree, how do you police that?? Effectively the Feds said, "are you getting State UE? Then here is $600." As I've said before, my daughter in Missouri got her hours cut from 40 to 32. Got to collect for 4 weeks on Missouri UE (something like $20-40/wk - because. . . it's 8 hours) AND a full $600 from Uncle. All benefits of her employer's scam to NOT show layoffs to Wall Street. It's an awful company run awfully. It's a cluster-bleep from top to bottom. But at least on this one she pocketed $2,400 from their incompetence.
I'm saying the bill should have been written so that laid off workers got whatever their state UI paid......plus fed $ up to their original weekly pay to cover the gap. States like mass had unemployed workers getting a windfall.......and it is just rediculous.

I've quite enjoyed working from home consistently since March, but I've done it before. If you know how to handle it, how to separate work from life, how to get some fresh air when you need it and switch off work when the day ends rather than rushing back to it, it's quite fantastic.

The only thing I have to complain about is that I lost my usual work from home spot on the couch because my girlfriend is also working from home now, too. Upside is that I was forced to finally do something with the downstairs room we've been neglecting since we moved in last year, and now I've got a pretty nice little spot.

The down side is now I have to do another f***ing floor and paint. I hate flooring; it's too rough on my knees and back. Painting I hate even more.

I'm saying the bill should have been written so that laid off workers got whatever their state UI paid......plus fed $ up to their original weekly pay to cover the gap. States like mass had unemployed workers getting a windfall.......and it is just rediculous.

I agree. But Uncle didn't track any of it. To do so was going to take a pile of infrastructure they weren't equipped to set up. It was simpler (and possibly cheaper) to send $600 to everyone every week until back to work or 7/31.

Life in the US will change radically a week from next Monday for sure.

<mild rant>

I've been one of the "lucky" ones who have continued to get up and go to work every day since Covid-19 hit...so why don't I feel "lucky' ? All the normal BS, stress, and nonsense of the job along with a metric ton of CoronaV change, confusion, uncertainty, dysfunction, and doubt.

Am i crazy to think the folks who've been living off government handouts over the last 3-4 months have had the better deal ? A once-in-a-lifetime (we hope) "excuse" to take the easier of the two paths, stay home in their pj's, get paid, and say to anyone who asks "what ya going to do...it's the Corona...not my fault" ?

Took my first time off this week since January and as expected, work has devolved into a complete shitshow....I am finding it harder and harder to care.

</rant>
I don't think the people "getting a hand out" have been better off. They all probably want to work....they're not freeloaders by choice. They have no job bc the government destroyed their employers in the name of a virus with a 99.7% survival rate. Sooner or later the gov't will stop stimulating them and they're all f***ed. Yes, you're lucky to be working, and much better off than they are.

Covid has made my job a living hell. I used to work roughly 50 hours a week on average but since i work in the markets which have gone to shit, I work 12-14 hours a day now...at home, in my pjs, with the distractions of kids bouncing off the walls. It's been, aside from not having to commute in LA traffic, pretty shitty...but I count myself among the very lucky to still have my job, my benefits etc.

i sent a photo of my 7 year old grand neices lemonade stand that's been idle all year to country time and she's expecting her $100 stimulus check any time now. god bless america.

Back
Top Bottom