• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Work in the Business? Any Advice?

So for almost all of my professional life I've either been a cook (currently), or worked landscaping. I'm 29 and I want to make a change and work in the firearms industry. I'm not sure what aspect, I just want to get my foot in the door basically any way I can. Only exception would be ringing people out at a cash register, I'd like to at least work, WITH firearms or assembly or something.

I'm in NH. I've already sent applications and resumes to all the usual suspects in my state. I'm a realistic guy so I don't think I'm going to start entry level for great money and that's okay. So I was just wondering if anyone on here with more experience than me had any advice or tips?

Get a small business loan and do custom work or get an FFL and join the thousands of other gun people that wanted to do their hobby for a living.

Good luck, it's always a plus in life if you can make a living doing what you are passionate about.

Something along those lines isn't necessarily my style with no other experience besides being passionate about it and having the drive to learn. I'm more the type to go ground up, get real experience, understand the business a bit, put real time in working hands on and learning everything I can. At which point I would take the time and hopefully knowledge and apply it to a venture such as that.

Few questions:

(1) What's your education level?
(2) What do you generally see yourself doing within the gun industry?
(3) What are your skills, hobbies, knacks, etc. outside of guns? Writing, social media (yes, this is a thing, some people have a knack for getting others' attention), working with your hands?
(4) Where do you want to be in twenty years?

How about some online gunsmithing education or “apprentice” with a nearby pro whose work you admire?

I like this idea. Wonder who around me would be available to do that. And although I don't need to make a fortune, I can't do anything for free. So that will always be a factor to a degree.

I was hoping I'd be fortunate enough to get in with a manufacturer around my area. Something that can be entry level but has places to move within the company to learn different aspects. But again, I'm not terribly picky. Just all new to me in this sense.

There isn't a lot to learn working at a manufacturer.

It's just like any other manufacturer, except they produce something you are interested in. It's menial labor that doesn't pay much because all you do is put parts together which doesn't take any skill and can be taught to a new arrival to the US in 20 minutes. I deliver to manufacturers of various products all the time.

Working at a gun store..I'm sure you have seen who works at gun stores, they are either retired or a part time job and are most likely giving their paycheck up every month for a gun at wholesale. There are very small margins on new guns..

When I first got into guns all I wanted to do was make a living doing something with guns..being a paid assassin was kinda hard to get into so I looked into other things. Manufacturers of ANYTHING don't pay shit unless you are designing them with CAD or something.

There isn't a lot to learn working at a manufacturer.

It's just like any other manufacturer, except they produce something you are interested in. It's menial labor that doesn't pay much because all you do is put parts together which doesn't take any skill and can be taught to a new arrival to the US in 20 minutes. I deliver to manufacturers of various products all the time.

Working at a gun store..I'm sure you have seen who works art gun stores, they are either retired or a part time jonb and most likely giving their paycheck up every month for a gun.

When I first got into guns all I wanted to do was make a living doing something with guns..being a paid assassin was kinda hard to get into so I looked into other things. Manufacturers of ANYTHING don't pay shit unless you are designing them with CAD or something.

I've also worked in non-gun related manufacturing and I agree with this. I think the days of working your way up from sweeping the shop floor to shop floor manager are largely gone. Companies simply aren't interested in retaining workers for generations. Now, some people obviously stick around for years, but if they're sticking around, they're not creating vacancies.

A lot of turnover in manufacturing simply comes from the jobs and management thereof being shit.

So for almost all of my professional life I've either been a cook (currently), or worked landscaping. I'm 29 and I want to make a change and work in the firearms industry. I'm not sure what aspect, I just want to get my foot in the door basically any way I can. Only exception would be ringing people out at a cash register, I'd like to at least work, WITH firearms or assembly or something.

I'm in NH. I've already sent applications and resumes to all the usual suspects in my state. I'm a realistic guy so I don't think I'm going to start entry level for great money and that's okay. So I was just wondering if anyone on here with more experience than me had any advice or tips?
My company sold 3D printers and engineering software so all of them were customers.

Go to a community college and get an Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

Firearms manufacturing is a lot of precision casting and machining of very tough materials. They have very sophisticated manufacturing methods. There is a shortage throughout the region (and the rest of the US) of people with the skills to run that equipment.

I’d be completely shocked if your first job offer wasn’t for double your current income.

You could study for the Customs Broker exam and then work for a firearms manufacturer or importer. You wouldn't physically be working with guns but you'd be navigating the laws and regulations around importing/exporting firearms and firearms parts. That could be pretty cool and the experience would carry over to defense contractors who always need people with knowledge of export licensing and the ITAR.

Few questions:

(1) What's your education level?
(2) What do you generally see yourself doing within the gun industry?
(3) What are your skills, hobbies, knacks, etc. outside of guns? Writing, social media (yes, this is a thing, some people have a knack for getting others' attention), working with your hands?
(4) Where do you want to be in twenty years?

1. High School

2. That's tough I really havent narrowed it down to a specific part of the business. I want to do something more than retail, so no cash register at shooters but beyond that I'm just not sure. Anything from assembling parts to working a gig at the firing line perhaps?

3. I would say my more valuable skills would just be that I am pretty old school of thought with work ethic. I'm good with writing and fairly well versed in the English language. I also tend to learn things very quickly my memory is somehow very sharp. I have not spent my life working with my hands. That was just never part of my life growing up and so on. I would not consider myself mechanically inclined.

4. Man. In 20 years I would like to work for myself. And although I would want to do things such as assembly and such, I always pictured opening up an FFL eventually to sell firearms and perhaps provide another key service.

Hmmm. Weird answering those questions but that's what I got.

You need to reach out to Q. They're a small NH company most known for their rifles Honey Badger and The Fix. The latter is a bolt-action rifle that is assembled by the engineers who designed it. They were struggling to keep up with demand, the page at one time displaying 360ish-day countdown timer for backorder. They offered the alternative of coming to their facility and building your own alongside the engineers, right up to generating the serial number. One online customer review said he came for a customer build and ended the day playing Goldeneye at the founder's house.

They're solid, smart, small, and would be more likely to offer some personal advice even if not having a position for you.

You need to reach out to Q. They're a small NH company most known for their rifles Honey Badger and The Fix. The latter is a bolt-action rifle that is assembled by the engineers who designed it. They were struggling to keep up with demand, the page at one time displaying 360ish-day countdown timer for backorder. They offered the alternative of coming to their facility and building your own alongside the engineers, right up to the serial number. One online customer review said he came for a customer build and ended the day playing Goldeneye at the founder's house.

They're solid, smart, small, and would be more likely to offer some personal advice even if not having a position for you.

I forgot all about Q. Yeah I've heard great things about them.

1. High School

If you're working with a diploma or a GED, get some college or vocational training. NHTI, etc. Welding, machining, woodworking, something of that sort. A couple years of community college is a great way to answer the question, or at least formulate an idea of an answer, of "what do I want to do?" The plus of being a college student is that you're in a great situation to pick up part-time jobs, like, as a part-timer at a gun store or as an instructor/RSO or moonlighting at another job. Plus, the environment of community college is basically that everyone wants to self-improve.

2. That's tough I really havent narrowed it down to a specific part of the business. I want to do something more than retail, so no cash register at shooters but beyond that I'm just not sure. Anything from assembling parts to working a gig at the firing line perhaps?

Spend some time thinking about this because its your life. You don't want to be miserable ringing out M*ssholes at Shooter's or KTP who bitch about having to show their IDs.

3. I would say my more valuable skills would just be that I am pretty old school of thought with work ethic. I'm good with writing and fairly well versed in the English language. I also tend to learn things very quickly my memory is somehow very sharp. I have not spent my life working with my hands. That was just never part of my life growing up and so on. I would not consider myself mechanically inclined.

Anything involving writing is either going to take a shitload of natural skill or a minimum of a Bachelor's, if not something higher. I've literally spent the last three years in law school learning how to improve my writing and my first job after law school is going to be a crash course in... more writing.

4. Man. In 20 years I would like to work for myself. And although I would want to do things such as assembly and such, I always pictured opening up an FFL eventually to sell firearms and perhaps provide another key service.

Hmmm. Weird answering those questions but that's what I got.

If you want to work for yourself, you need cash. Meaning, you'll need to be pulling in enough money to secure a loan or open up using your own money. You also want to have some talent that separates you from everyone else. In other words, develop a skill.

I realize these are all generalizations, but I'm of the philosophy that people need to find their own paths. Some people are happy being 40 and in a frozen trench. Me? Nope. You have to find what you want to do.

You need to reach out to Q. They're a small NH company most known for their rifles Honey Badger and The Fix. The latter is a bolt-action rifle that is assembled by the engineers who designed it. They were struggling to keep up with demand, the page at one time displaying 360ish-day countdown timer for backorder. They offered the alternative of coming to their facility and building your own alongside the engineers, right up to the serial number. One online customer review said he came for a customer build and ended the day playing Goldeneye at the founder's house.

Yeah, while SIG is the big boy in NH, NH is home to a lot of small places like Q and small time manufacturers and machinists. Think small, think local. Never hurts to send an email or write a letter.

Thanks. I really appreciate these responses. I reached out to Q, I think that was a good idea.

Schooling. Ugh. I hate the idea of doing schooling at my age. I hated school. Barely made it. All that said I am not blind to the fact that yes, in a sense the, 'from the ground up' I suppose is not as fruitful as it once was. Which for me, kinda sucks. But I don't think I'm above sacrifice and hard (shitty) work.

I'd keep the gig for now and hit up as many manufacturers that offer an armorer course as possible and get as many certs as I could, afterwards I'd find a job as an entry level armorer/finisher. Then, while there, press them for continuing education programs and knock out a gunsmith course.

Yeah, this generally is how I think. But, that thinking does come from my years in very different industries I suppose.

Thanks. I really appreciate these responses. I reached out to Q, I think that was a good idea.

Schooling. Ugh. I hate the idea of doing schooling at my age. I hated school. Barely made it. All that said I am not blind to the fact that yes, in a sense the, 'from the ground up' I suppose is not as fruitful as it once was. Which for me, kinda sucks. But I don't think I'm above sacrifice and hard (shitty) work.

High school and community college/normal undergrad are two vastly different ballgames. You're an adult. You have more agency over your life and courses. In community college or a tech school, you'll be with people ages 17-80. You are the definer of your own success.

Again, though, education doesn't have to mean a college degree. Though, that helps in certain paths.

High school and community college/normal undergrad are two vastly different ballgames. You're an adult. You have more agency over your life and courses. In community college or a tech school, you'll be with people ages 17-80. You are the definer of your own success.

Again, though, education doesn't have to mean a college degree. Though, that helps in certain paths.

Yeah, absolutely. I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't have the ability to do it either. I could easily arrange my life to get some schooling done while still working, fortunately.

What skills do you have to bring to any company? Just because you want to do something doesn’t mean you will fit.
No disrespect.

I don't have any skills right now directly related to firearms other than my ability to shoot pretty well, understanding fundamentals of shooting, 2A all that shit. I'm a total AK geek too. But no applicable skills of any value, in regards to working on or with guns. Which is why my thought was always I need to learn first, soak up some knowledge and put in some real time just working developing skills.

And remember, you want to fill a position based on what you can do but they want to fill based on what you have done. The right education or grunt work can create that opening, but don’t sign up for something unless it points toward a well-defined goal. You’ll kick yourself for wasting time or tuition because you didn’t think things through. Speaking from experience.

You could always start a youtube channel.

And remember, you want to fill a position based on what you can do but they want to fill based on what you have done. The right education or grunt work can create that opening, but don’t sign up for something unless it points toward a well-defined goal. You’ll kick yourself for wasting time or tuition because you didn’t think things through. Speaking from experience.

Right. I've always sort of known those were my 2 options for a starting point.

I don't have any skills right now directly related to firearms other than my ability to shoot pretty well, understanding fundamentals of shooting, 2A all that shit. I'm a total AK geek too. But no applicable skills of any value, in regards to working on or with guns. Which is why my thought was always I need to learn first, soak up some knowledge and put in some real time just working developing skills.
Sounds like the spot to enter as a low level employee, keep your head down, do your job, don’t bang out sick and take stupid days off, get noticed on work ethic and enthusiasm from the bosses and have patience.

Back
Top Bottom