• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Words.....there are none

while i agree with pardoning Manning's sentence, Obama is doing this simply to distract the world from the hundreds of high profile criminals he is about to pardon.

smart move if you consider the govt won't have to pay for it's sex change. then again, somebody's going to have to pay for it's sex change operation, and i'll put money on it being you and I, not it.

Just the kind of low life move I'd expect from the worst U.S. president in history.....he didn't mind his Secretary of State compromising classified emails...why would this be a concern?

He was tried for crimes that allowed up to the death penalty. He/she will now be free. Weren't these people just screaming about Russian leaks and the death of democracy?

while i agree with pardoning Manning's sentence, Obama is doing this simply to distract the world from the hundreds of high profile criminals he is about to pardon.

Commuted, not pardoned. S/he is still a felon. And not being released until May.

Probably cruise into a board level position at HuffPo or some such. Gravy train for a while, anyway.

I'm not up to speed on what Manning leaked. How does it compare to what Snowden leaked?

Honestly, the actual info wasn't all that damning or dangerous. A strong argument could be made that 35 years was an inordinate given the typical sentences for leaking information at the time. Don't get me wrong, Manning was entrusted with information sensitive to the security of our troops and people, and violated that trust. It's the motivation that gets to me. Snowden ostensibly did what he did to bring sunlight to what he saw as corruption and malfeasance. Manning was pissed because the military wasn't properly acknowledging his sexual orientation and he wanted revenge.

Last edited:
Honestly, the actual info wasn't all that damning or dangerous. A strong argument could be made that 35 years was an inordinate given the typical sentences for leaking information at the time. Don't get me wrong, Manning was entrusted with information sensitive to the security of our troops and people, and violated that trust. It's the motivation that gets to me. Snowden ostensibly did what he did to bring sunlight to what he saw as corruption and malfeasance. Manning was pissed because the military wasn't properly acknowledging his sexual orientation and he wanted revenge.

Exactly!!!!!! Where is the leeway for Snowden? How the hell can he turn a blind eye to Hillary's transgressions/crimes, let Chelsea manning walk after 6 years, but Snowden is still considered persona non grata?????

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Commuted, not pardoned. S/he is still a felon. And not being released until May.

Probably cruise into a board level position at HuffPo or some such. Gravy train for a while, anyway.

Thank you. I think Snowden's a hero for what he did. Manning is a different story based on the motivation alone.

I spent over thirty years in the intelligence community. Most of the stuff that Manning leaked was low level traffic. Did it compromise US interests? Yes, however 35 years was IMO unduly harsh.

Manning was a mixed up misfit. His motivation was due in part to a misplaced sense of idealism and gender (not sexual orientation) identity issues (two different things entirely). He's served enough time, has a dishonorable discharge, his name will pop up in the news now and again and somebody will pay for his gender reassignment I'm sure.

Hilary got nothing, Petreus got a pee pee slap, the sailor who took pics of a restricted area on a submarine got shafted. Different spanks for different ranks.

Armchair Patriots and people who are offended by trannies will go on and on ad nauseam but a sensitive girl like Chelsea already lives in a special hell few of us will ever understand. She's suffered enough, the damage is done. Time to move on.

Now Snowden is a different story.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think Snowden's a hero for what he did. Manning is a different story based on the motivation alone.
Snowden is a hero who risked himself to expose corruption and has publicly stated his position on the morality of the state's action and his actions. He will never be pardoned because the state cannot admit it's guilt

I'm totally fine with Manning getting his/her sentence commuted. It isn't a pardon so he remains a felon with a dishonorable discharge. He has served seven years, which is no joke of a sentence. 35 years was too harsh considering the government even admitted his leaks lead to no deaths. The punishment did not fit the crime. But an example was set. I'm not really okay with setting examples of certain people for political reasons beyond just the facts of what they did.

I'm not up to speed on what Manning leaked. How does it compare to what Snowden leaked?

Apples to oranges. UCMJ vs non-UCMJ.

I was an intel officer too, and IMO, a world where Snowden and Hilary are free isn't a world where I think Manning needs 35 years. Even though that's apples to oranges too, I'm okay with time served. It wasn't a pardon, I think; Manning's still a lifelong felon.

As for Snowden, I'm fine with what he did. But he won't qualify as a "hero" until he comes back and stands his trial, Ellsberg style. Chips fall where they may.

I'm totally fine with Manning getting his/her sentence commuted. It isn't a pardon so he remains a felon with a dishonorable discharge. He has served seven years, which is no joke of a sentence. 35 years was too harsh considering the government even admitted his leaks lead to no deaths. The punishment did not fit the crime. But an example was set. I'm not really okay with setting examples of certain people for political reasons beyond just the facts of what they did.
I couldn't agree more....I mean all of her time has been in solitary confinement right....that's boo cake walk and one hell of a punishment. But where is the fairness or justice on playing the game different ways for different people?????

Snowden is a hero who risked himself to expose corruption and has publicly stated his position on the morality of the state's action and his actions. He will never be pardoned because the state cannot admit it's guilt

Heros stay and fight. Cowards run to any country that will take them and spill U.S. secrets. He's no hero to me and should be sitting in jail....

I couldn't agree more....I mean all of her time has been in solitary confinement right....that's boo cake walk and one hell of a punishment. But where is the fairness or justice on playing the game different ways for different people?????

Where? Nowhere. Because there is nothing fair or just about it.

Heros stay and fight. Cowards run to any country that will take them and spill U.S. secrets. He's no hero to me and should be sitting in jail....

He might not be a hero, but I'm having difficulty understanding how doing what he did at such great risk while uprooting his entire life and being stuck in exile makes him a coward. Matter of perspective I suppose.

I think this is the full list. 209 commutations and 64 pardons.

I'm not upset with a lot of those pardon(ed)
Why should tax payers take care of some in for LIFE for simply possessing or selling stuff ? ( buyers can decide for them-self )
The only people that ever forced me to put drugs in my body is, the government.

MA. AG has made hundreds/thousands of you possible felons in July 2016, with the stroke of a pen.

Someone who stays and fights a battle which is completely hopeless is not a hero. He's stupid. Right or wrong, Snowden would have stood no chance here in the states. He would have no voice at all. They'd have locked him up and thrown away the room.

Someone who stays and fights a battle which is completely hopeless is not a hero. He's stupid. Right or wrong, Snowden would have stood no chance here in the states. He would have no voice at all. They'd have locked him up and thrown away the room.

Wah.

Then he shouldn't have leaked.

Besides, the obvious counter is, again, Ellsberg. He stood no chance either, in a near-identical situation... until he got acquitted.

An honorable man with honorable motives stands his trial. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Last edited:
Heros stay and fight. Cowards run to any country that will take them and spill U.S. secrets.

Nonsense. How exactly do you fight when you're dead/disappeared, or in front of some sort of secret court?

Snowden will be a hero to me and millions of others for unveiling the monster that is our government. The monster that's actively targeting each of us.

Last edited:
It will never be able to go anywhere and show it's face. What's left of it's life will be lonely and desperate. Then it will kill itself.
It's a sad but accurate prediction. She may champion some cause for a short while but once that winds down it's all over.

Back
Top Bottom