Worcester "WPRC" Indoor Range Upgrade Project 2021

22Ld30l.jpg
Wow, looks amazing!

That looks so amazing, and idea on when it will open? Great work to everyone involved

When planned and scheduled out (almost two year's ago) the completion was next Thursday, Thanksgiving 2021. Well go figure, the world changed. I don't think I'm going to hit that date, although still trying like crazy, but I'll be really close.

I'll continue to keep everyone updated as much as possible.

Jay

This is looking Fantastic, and thanks for the ongoing narrative Jay.
I have a feeling it's going to be really busy once the doors open [mg]

Quick update:
Ceramic floor from lobby to firing line going in. Should be done and grouted within 24 hours. Looks awesome. Great work Tim and Fran. [smile]

Paint: Indoor range from Lobby entrance to Firing line all painted. Lobby, Exterior door, bathrooms, closets, and trim repaired and painted. Thanks James for a great job and your flexibility in scheduling. [thumbsup]

I didn't quite hit the Thanksgiving 2021 project complete time line that I projected during the planning phase over two years ago. I can say we are very close and working in some "unique" conditions to get members back inside ASAP.

I'm working with our Heating Ventilation contractor to get the system scheduled for final wiring,balancing, inspection and certified. This is literally the "KEY" to this whole project.

Looks like I lost my epoxy flooring until spring as I need a certain temperature to properly cure. 46 degrees just won't chemically cut it. 😓

Someone asked about data cables. I ran a decent amount of extra CAT 6 cables with multiple extra spare pull cords. Damn, you can never have enough in the walls and ceilings. Notice we've used every friggin cm of space. Gotta love it.

And they also took away my forklift! D'oh. In a previous life, back in the late '70's, running a forklift was my life. It's a "like riding a bicycle" thing. But I digress. 🤔

Jay

qgy2VDI.jpg

oCduYtL.jpg

OijjVyV.jpg

QzJbHnu.jpg

Time to repair/patch the parking lot before the snow flies. Had a couple of Jersey Barriers delivered to protect the Carey's Ventilation MAU. But before I can position them properly, I had to repair the parking lot that was ruined by a MAC Tool Truck the sunk a decent section by the MAU location.

Had J.R. Grady & Sons stop by and patch up the damage before winter really sets in and before the asphalt plants shut down.

The ceramic floor is scheduled to be sealed tonight and needs 48 hours of curing.

Please stay off the asphalt patch and the stay out of the indoor range.

Jay

tDObHyf.jpg

bw9oum6.jpg

zr2lrSo.jpg

aLii0PB.jpg

Up Next:

KBavpn7.jpg

You can tell I like big trucks. [thumbsup]

No, I'm afraid not. Still more work to complete to make it safe for members to occupy it.

The clubs motto/mission statement is very short and to the point. "A Safe Place To Shoot". This project adheres to those words 100%.

With that being said, we are close, very close. 🤔

Please watch the WPRC web site for an opening date. I will also post here on NES.

Jay

No, I'm afraid not. Still more work to complete to make it safe for members to occupy it.

The clubs motto/mission statement is very short and to the point. "A Safe Place To Shoot". This project adheres to those words 100%.

With that being said, we are close, very close. 🤔

Please watch the WPRC web site for an opening date. I will also post here on NES.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I wouldn’t expect anything less.
Just anxious. It looks great 👍
Joe

Time to repair/patch the parking lot before the snow flies. Had a couple of Jersey Barriers delivered to protect the Carey's Ventilation MAU. But before I can position them properly, I had to repair the parking lot that was ruined by a MAC Tool Truck the sunk a decent section by the MAU location.

Had J.R. Grady & Sons stop by and patch up the damage before winter really sets in and before the asphalt plants shut down.

The ceramic floor is scheduled to be sealed tonight and needs 48 hours of curing.

Please stay off the asphalt patch and the stay out of the indoor range.

Jay

tDObHyf.jpg

bw9oum6.jpg

zr2lrSo.jpg

aLii0PB.jpg

Up Next:

KBavpn7.jpg

You can tell I like big trucks. [thumbsup]
I can’t wait to see the floor. Still getting the logo placed on it?

I can’t wait to see the floor. Still getting the logo placed on it?

Sad to say, after much discussion and trying different methods, the best I could do is get the floor temperature to 49 degrees. I need a minimum of 60 degrees for four days to properly chemically cure the epoxy and logo. I compare it to painting a car with basecoat/clearcoat. Curing and wet sanding is key. As the 6 foot diameter logo was "kinda" pricey, it was decided that we will wait until late spring/early summer to do the main floor.

While I really wanted it as the "frosting on the cake" for aesthetic reasons before opening, I'm O.K. with waiting to get it done properly. It won't effect the opening.

Jay

Sad to say, after much discussion and trying different methods, the best I could do is get the floor temperature to 49 degrees. I need a minimum of 60 degrees for four days to properly chemically cure the epoxy and logo. I compare it to painting a car with basecoat/clearcoat. Curing and wet sanding is key. As the 6 foot diameter logo was "kinda" pricey, it was decided that we will wait until late spring/early summer to do the main floor.

While I really wanted it as the "frosting on the cake" for aesthetic reasons before opening, I'm O.K. with waiting to get it done properly. It won't effect the opening.

Jay
With all the high end touches I find it shocking that you don't have radiant heat under the floor.

Status update for Friday:
We are inching closer to completion. Not quite over the finish line, but getting there.

More ventilation balancing, system learning, inspections, smoke test (my favorite [dance] ) and certifications.

Jay

Jay Sanford did an excellent job on the bottom trim. The floor was not ideal, walls were not ideal/square/plumb. Jay S. made it look easy. It wasn't. Thanks!!

UGcokkT.jpg

0fDiuBq.jpg

The 3 inch ballistic glass between stalls is crystal clear, my crappy phone just makes it look hazy. D'oh

xRYlP7Y.jpg

Again, the glass is very clear.

rnGUHlt.jpg

O.K. I tried, I really tried for the second time to sneak in the electric fireplace in place of one of the shelving units. It WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT, but epic failure... [flame]

sIqpPJL.jpg

Downrange!

R9INYAM.jpg

Clean, safe, sanitary, downrange view.

GD4ilBU.jpg

Up-range view. Better view of the blast shields. They are the beige looking stand separators.

nV0XU7C.jpg

President of WPRC, Al Bonofiglio , supervising (photo bombing) the paving. Thanks Al for going forward with this very important and timely upgrade.

xpwQ8up.jpg

First semi official fire up of the ventilation system.

OWKGACB.jpg

Better view of first semi official "Safe to Shoot" indicator.

qJu3cI2.jpg

Some have asked/questioned the selection of such extreme shooting stand separators. I answer that when you are within the shooting stand, the bottom solid separators have AR500 as it's core, the ceiling is a combination of sound absorbing material, 3/4 plywood, 2X4's and 1/2 inch AR500 steel, and finally the clear 3 inch ballistic glass. All for maximum protection of the shooter and those around them. A secondary benefit of the ballistic glass, along with serious protection, allows instructors to stand and view all students from different angles. Same thing when multiple members are shooting. Everyone see's each other and are well protected.

Oh, and it has the capacity to have different colored LED lighting just adds the finishing touch.

Jay

Last edited:
Scott from Carey's ran some serious burn in testing of the ventilation / heating system today. So far, it is operating as designed. Didn't have to adjust much as it was balancing pretty much spot on. [dance] Plus, the pressure readings were extremely stable, indicating a very nice sealed system. Major credit to Dee Services and Carey's Small Arms Ventilation for a well designed, implemented and executed solution. They asked for an airtight (well, as much as humanly possible) "shoe box" to work with. We provided exactly that as the major foundation of this project and it is proving to be key in the performance of the system.

We're about 98% there. Still have to perform smoke tests, inspection, and certification process to complete. I've started to "Train the Trainers", so to speak, on the basic use of the systems. It is not overly complicated, but it is "definitely not your fathers old way shooting system". Once you use it a couple of times, you'll be an expert and never look back again.

Jay

The real challenge with such a great system is keeping it going long term. Unless you have someone who really knows the system, the suppliers, how to get parts/fix stuff, etc. things slowly fall into disrepair. If someone discharges a round into that tile floor, with the tile be promptly replaced with spares kept from the original install, or will it remain as a what not to do example? Ditto for ballistic glass, cracked screen but functional tablets, etc.

You need both the financial commitment to maintain the system in excellent condition and replace it when the tech becomes obsolete and unsupportable, and multiple in-house experts on the system to either perform or coordinate maintenance/repair/etc. I hope that the club has a spare "e73elkyss" who can take over if he becomes unavailable.

I believe the Hopkinton club has the best shitters in the state, but it looks like WPRC will take the best indoor range category.

And what is this "certification process" of which you speak?

Last edited:
The real challenge with such a great system is keeping it going long term. Unless you have someone who really knows the system, the suppliers, how to get parts/fix stuff, etc. things slowly fall into disrepair. If someone discharges a round into that tile floor, with the tile be promptly replaced with spares kept from the original install, or will it remain as a what not to do example? Ditto for ballistic glass, cracked screen but functional tablets, etc.

You need both the financial commitment to maintain the system in excellent condition and replace it when the tech becomes obsolete and unsupportable, and multiple in-house experts on the system to either perform or coordinate maintenance/repair/etc. I hope that the club has a spare "e73elkyss" who can take over if he becomes unavailable.
True constancy of purpose stems from a cultural commitment to a well-documented process -
not a cadre of all-too-mortal heroes.

With all the high end touches I find it shocking that you don't have radiant heat under the floor.

[smile] Oh, I wanted to implement that type of floor/heat solution. Very much so. But beside being a "budget buster", down range radiant heat would not be practical in the 100% purge type system we installed. Although it would have been great for installing the floor and regular maintenance, members/shooters aren't allowed downrange.

Saturday, the smoke test was completed. No issues were detected.

Still inching closer and closer to 100% safe and completion. One more contractor due middle of this week to tie up a few loose ends. [cheers]

Jay

Last edited:
The real challenge with such a great system is keeping it going long term....

I believe the Hopkinton club has the best shitters in the state, but it looks like WPRC will take the best indoor range category.

And what is this "certification process" of which you speak?

Well, funny you ask about "certifications".

Jay

And we have two modern day commercial quality bathrooms. I try and limit our bragging rights to our indoor range, but... (just F'ing with you) [rockon]

EPA:

TITLE 40--PROTECTION OF ENVIRONMENT CHAPTER I--ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY PART 50--NATIONAL PRIMARY AND SECONDARY AMBIENT AIR QUALITY STANDARDS--Table of Contents Sec. 50.12 National primary and secondary ambient air quality standards for lead. National primary and secondary ambient air quality standards for lead and its compounds, measured as elemental lead by a reference method based on appendix G to this part, or by an equivalent method, are: 1.5 micrograms per cubic meter, maximum arithmetic mean averaged over a calendar quarter. (Secs. 109, 301(a) Clean Air Act as amended (42 U.S.C. 7409, 7601(a))) On November 12th, 2008, the EPA issued a final rule that revised the NAAQS for lead and associated ambient air lead monitoring requirements strengthening the requirement to 0.15 micrograms per cubic meter as total suspended particles measured as a three-month rolling average. (73 FR 66964, codified at 40 CFR part 58)

NIOSH and OSHA:

Established by NIOSH, the performance intent for firing range ventilation systems shall meet all the requirements outlined as recommendations and design considerations in HEW publication no. (NIOSH) 76-130, dated December, 1975, entitled "Lead Exposure Design Considerations for Indoor Firing Ranges". This design standard prefers an air flow velocity of 75 feet per minute average on the empty range. This design has consistently provided for the compliance within the established federal standards for airborne inorganic lead concentration limits. When properly executed, lead concentrations are consistently maintained below the action level of 30 micrograms per cubic meter (30ug/m3) in an area where the limit shall not exceed 50 micrograms of lead per cubic meter (50ug/m3) of air over a time weighted average of eight hours as measured at the respiration zone of the shooters when firing from the firing booths per OSHA 29 CFR. 1910.1025 and 1926.62.

And we have two modern day commercial quality bathrooms. I try and limit our bragging rights to our indoor range, but... (just F'ing with you) [rockon]
Perhaps our clubs should challenge each other to a shit-off. Or, when I visit after you are done, I may just concede once I see what opposition we are up against in the best shitter category.

The info you posted cited standards, not certifications. Who issues the certification? Is it a government certificate like a Airworthiness certificate, elevator inspection certificate; fire extinguisher tag; etc?; a recognized third party (like UL); or self-certification by the vendor? Does any agency actually require the certificate? Doe the club get something nice and pretty to hang on the wall saying you passed like elevators do?

Last edited:
Well, funny you ask about "certifications".

Jay

EPA:

TITLE 40--PROTECTION OF ENVIRONMENT CHAPTER I--ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY PART 50--NATIONAL PRIMARY AND SECONDARY AMBIENT AIR QUALITY STANDARDS--Table of Contents Sec. 50.12 National primary and secondary ambient air quality standards for lead. National primary and secondary ambient air quality standards for lead and its compounds, measured as elemental lead by a reference method based on appendix G to this part, or by an equivalent method, are: 1.5 micrograms per cubic meter, maximum arithmetic mean averaged over a calendar quarter. (Secs. 109, 301(a) Clean Air Act as amended (42 U.S.C. 7409, 7601(a))) On November 12th, 2008, the EPA issued a final rule that revised the NAAQS for lead and associated ambient air lead monitoring requirements strengthening the requirement to 0.15 micrograms per cubic meter as total suspended particles measured as a three-month rolling average. (73 FR 66964, codified at 40 CFR part 58)

NIOSH and OSHA:

Established by NIOSH, the performance intent for firing range ventilation systems shall meet all the requirements outlined as recommendations and design considerations in HEW publication no. (NIOSH) 76-130, dated December, 1975, entitled "Lead Exposure Design Considerations for Indoor Firing Ranges". This design standard prefers an air flow velocity of 75 feet per minute average on the empty range. This design has consistently provided for the compliance within the established federal standards for airborne inorganic lead concentration limits. When properly executed, lead concentrations are consistently maintained below the action level of 30 micrograms per cubic meter (30ug/m3) in an area where the limit shall not exceed 50 micrograms of lead per cubic meter (50ug/m3) of air over a time weighted average of eight hours as measured at the respiration zone of the shooters when firing from the firing booths per OSHA 29 CFR. 1910.1025 and 1926.62.

Jay, is this being done because of all the new housing developments in the area, or to make it a healthy place for us to shoot?
Either way I can’t wait to use it. Thanks for all your hard work 👍

Back
Top Bottom