• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester Shotspotter

WORCESTER — The loud boom of gunfire rang out through a computer speaker inside the Real Time Crime Center at the Police Department. A group of investigators in the room shook their heads.

"Those were never called in," Police Captain Paul B. Saucier said of the gunshots fired March 23 on Hollis Street.

That is one of several reasons police wanted to install a gunshot detection system called ShotSpotter, which is being used with much success in Boston and Springfield . ...

FULL ARTICLE:
ShotSpotter is now all ears for Worcester

they need to make having an illegal gun mandatory life in prison. then we could all relax and the criminals would be where they deserve.

ok you know you all get very picky. a stolen gun is illegal to have.

people in posession of stolen guns should get life.

like ****ing pulling teeth.

how about a little common sense here.

and here we go....

yep.
but there is a big difference between common sense and ****ing idiotic gun control measures.

i think everyone should be able to have a gun. but i hate criminals. i think we all agree.

thanks troll BTW

I just don't get the point of this. They say it stops crime. If the gun is shot, then hasn't something already happened? They are too late if the gunshots have already happened. It just speeds up the process for the chalk outlines and little plastic cones.

JERRY JERRY

Newman from Seinfeld?

Jerry Garcia?

Last edited:
I just don't get the point of this. They say it stops crime. If the gun is shot, then hasn't something already happened? They are too late if the gunshots have already happened. It just speeds up the process for the chalk outlines and little plastic cones.

Newman from Seinfeld?

it is for the children. that is all you need to know.[smile]

we are on the same team BTW

It really irks me that this type of surveillance is being conducted by the government. Do you think that at some point they will stop? Do you think that sometime in the future they will decide that they have enough control, enough information about what each of us is doing at any given moment? I don't think they will. We usually focus on the politicians that change at the top, thinking that something will happen... but most of the people in most of these bureaucracies will still be there under the next administration, doing whatever they were doing before, growing the machine.

It really irks me that this type of surveillance is being conducted by the government. Do you think that at some point they will stop? Do you think that sometime in the future they will decide that they have enough control, enough information about what each of us is doing at any given moment? I don't think they will. We usually focus on the politicians that change at the top, thinking that something will happen... but most of the people in most of these bureaucracies will still be there under the next administration, doing whatever they were doing before, growing the machine.

just the beginning

IMO, shot spotter is just "damage control". Once the shot has been fired, it's not gonna matter much when blue man group shows up an hour later. In these big crap hole cities, martial law is the only way to control the thugs. Sounds a bit harsh but I'll bet most of the PD's in the big cities are way undermanned, overworked, and fed up.

IMO, shot spotter is just "damage control". Once the shot has been fired, it's not gonna matter much when blue man group shows up an hour later. In these big crap hole cities, martial law is the only way to control the thugs. Sounds a bit harsh but I'll bet most of the PD's in the big cities are way undermanned, overworked, and fed up.

Most of the time, the thugs are shooting other thugs, hence in my book it is not that big of a problem. The fact that you seem to think that martial law is the "only way" is probably indicative of why these types of solutions (Shotspotter, armored cars, too much government) are acceptable to most people.

No, the firearm itself is not illegal. The act of taking the firearm is illegal, the possession of a firearm that is not yours is illegal, using the firearm is potentially illegal.

Possession of a gun with an intentionally defaced or obliterated serial number is also illegal.

Most of the time, the thugs are shooting other thugs, hence in my book it is not that big of a problem. The fact that you seem to think that martial law is the "only way" is probably indicative of why these types of solutions (Shotspotter, armored cars, too much government) are acceptable to most people.

Except when they miss. Or shoot up the front of the wrong house. Or the wrong car. Or into the back of the wrong person. Or into a crowd trying to hit a fleeing banger.

Random gunfire on the streets is NOT a desirable situation no matter who is doing the shooting - including police etc.

I'm betting someone with a little blue hole in their torso would be pretty happy that something was notifying some kind responder since shots aren't always called in. Shotspotters ain't drones and they ain't non-traffic enforcement related cameras at every intersection. Foil hats have their place, but don't wear 'em too tight.

I think everyone is missing the point here. This is how ALL new governmental controls are rolled out - under the guise of making things "safer". This gains the necessary public support to get it out there, and once it is in place it can spread like a cancer. Sure, right now those microphones are tuned to pick up a certain frequency range to "hear" gunfire, but just how long do you think that it will be before they can be used to zoom in and hear normal conversations while a subject is walking down the street under camera surveillance? Think it can't/won't happen? I have a bridge for sale...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm betting someone with a little blue hole in their torso would be pretty happy that something was notifying some kind responder since shots aren't always called in. Shotspotters ain't drones and they ain't non-traffic enforcement related cameras at every intersection. Foil hats have their place, but don't wear 'em too tight.

Well there's foil hats, then there's blinders too...

Back
Top Bottom