Worcester Red Sox.. Anyone been to the park?

GlockJock

NES Member
So...My daughter and boyfriend (both LTC, but I'm guessing the 'zone' is likely 'gun free'..) won tickets to the WooSox in some raffle.. She's asking about the park, the area, parking, safety... I've never been, but maybe someone here can enlighten me/enlighten us as to the, um, the 'safety' around (and in) the park, etc..
PM me if you like, regarding entry/search etc..

Thanks in advance.

On the top right of the screen is a little magnifying glass, you can use this to search for other similar threads which have the answers you seek

Kelly Square in Worcester is not the safest place in town as it is near downtown, not to mention the intersection is a cluster**** (and is actually used as an example of poor civil engineering in engineering textbooks). As far as minor league baseball, I could care less [laugh]

Kelly Square in Worcester is not the safest place in town as it is near downtown, not to mention the intersection is a cluster**** (and is actually used as an example of poor civil engineering in engineering textbooks). As far as minor league baseball, I could care less [laugh]
Well, at least you could care less.

From the sound of it, you haven't been there for a while. Kelly Square was reworked over a year and a half ago as part of the ballpark construction.

The current configuration:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirjchF10iQ

But, yes, the old one was a pip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFh_GEhoNvY

So...My daughter and boyfriend (both LTC, but I'm guessing the 'zone' is likely 'gun free'..) won tickets to the WooSox in some raffle.. She's asking about the park, the area, parking, safety... I've never been, but maybe someone here can enlighten me/enlighten us as to the, um, the 'safety' around (and in) the park, etc..
PM me if you like, regarding entry/search etc..

Thanks in advance.

Is it your daughter's boyfriend, or yours? Just wondering...

didn't we just have a dennis rant on this recently?

Now you're just asking for a third one. Do you secretly work for The Squid???? ;)

From the sound of it, you haven't been there for a while. Kelly Square was reworked over a year and a half ago as part of the ballpark construction.

The current configuration:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirjchF10iQ

But, yes, the old one was a pip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFh_GEhoNvY

F'ing mASS. Too many of these odd "roundabouty" type things. Reminds me of Taunton and B-water. Ugh. Or worse, Norton. Let's put a park in the middle of an intersection to ensure a complete disaster traffic design. Heck, let's do it twice and REFUSE to put in a traffic light at the second disaster intersection. But you can't get rid of the park because it's too historic N/E. ???? It's a nasty-ass park with some trees and withering grass. Cut it down and align the roads. The damned park is used something like 9 hours a year. A YEAR. Because it's land-locked behind 2 busy roadways.

Or worse, Norton. Let's put a park in the middle of an intersection to ensure a complete disaster traffic design. Heck, let's do it twice and REFUSE to put in a traffic light at the second disaster intersection. But you can't get rid of the park because it's too historic N/E. ???? It's a nasty-ass park with some trees and withering grass. Cut it down and align the roads. The damned park is used something like 9 hours a year. A YEAR. Because it's land-locked behind 2 busy roadways.
Then, let's stick a small tit into one of the lanes on the back side east/west road, create some never used parking spaces, and make the backside one-way so that everyone trying to go west needs to sit at the light on the north/south street that's trying to control an offset X-intersection with it's own lunatic sequencing.

Last edited:
Worst is - Norton is the CHEAPEST town in the world. They went from having a single traffic light a year ago to having FIVE. FIVE! Four of them within a 1/4 mile of each other. All because of some big whore. . er warehouse they put in. Even got them to spring for an extra light at some lame intersection.

How about hte WORST intersection in town?? Nah. We can't find someone to pay for it.

I used to drive down S Worcester to 123 all the time. Finally don't have to. So very happy. That intersection sucks ass.

Worst is - Norton is the CHEAPEST town in the world. They went from having a single traffic light a year ago to having FIVE. FIVE! Four of them within a 1/4 mile of each other. All because of some big whore. . er warehouse they put in. Even got them to spring for an extra light at some lame intersection.
Every other right-hand on-ramp in the state with a crossing protected turn has a "Yield" sign. Except the one from 123E to 495S. They even put an effing light on that.

I used to drive down S Worcester to 123 all the time. Finally don't have to. So very happy. That intersection sucks ass.
I noticed that the perpetually empty garage on that corner is now open. I think that's the first time since the 80s.

The park itself is nice, your biggest safety concern is stepping on a used needle on your walk over to the ballpark. First hand experience.

The good news is it's MiLB so there are usually PLENTY of seats at most games. Stretch those gams over the seat in front of you.

Iv'e caught pieces of games on NESN at times. SHOCKED at the # of empty seats in a new park that got that much hype. Maybe Worcester will go OOB faster than I thought.

Back in the day (10 years ago) Fri/Sat/Sun at McCoy was a sellout. This was before The Squid bought it. Then attendance kept dropping and dropping and dropping. I did like 50c hot dog Mondays back in 2017 or 18. LOL. I was still one of 150 people at the park on a Monday. ROFL!!!!

Allow me to utilize another thread to say F Larry The Squid Lucchino and his dumb ass move. I can't wait to see Worcester get bankrupted and everyone to shrug their shoulders and wonder how this all happened.

Ya know what, it made them fix Kelly Square so its all good [smile]

Edit: Its already been addressed

The park isn't in a bad neighborhood, unless you are someone that never lived in a city, than ya, it's bad lol

The park is excellent. Service, food offerings, seating, remote areas to have a snack at a table, etc. There are restaurants and a brewery nearby. If you're in central mass, it's a great take and an absolute bargain. The Hispanic influence is...extreme, clouding and compromising the brand as they switch from 'Woo Sox' to 'Las Wepas.' Very poor marketing.

Will it propel Worcester to even greater heights? Who knows.

Will it propel Worcester to even greater heights? Who knows.

HAHAHAHA

Out of the puddle into the driveway.

I left worcester in the 90s and come back once in a while when my wife forces me to visit her in-laws (no, I meant exactly what I wrote). Every time it just looks more and more depressing.

Las Wepas. Oh how fun.

Honestly, it's a tough call. If they aren't getting normal adult white males to attend, you gotta go with whomever is actually WATCHING the Beseball.

What will that mean long-term??? Not sure. But there are a lot of Benny Blanco's that won't want to attend a baseball game if 40-80% of the crowd is speaking Spanish. They tried something similar in Pawtucket and it never went anywhere. Might just be the wokedness of The Squid.

I will say this: The original plan was to make Fenway III. At least The Squid moved away from that and made a very old-school looking minor league park. That alone helps in my book. It's modernized, but still retains pretty much the same overall layout of the classic McCoy.

Of course, then one has to wonder why they just didn't stay at McCoy and spend half as much on renovations instead. ;). (There was also something unique about being way above the action. I was 3rd row off the rail and it was a cool vantage point being over the dugout instead of behind it.)

So...My daughter and boyfriend (both LTC, ...) won tickets to the WooSox in some raffle.. She's asking about ... safety...
Damn, that's Shot-Spotter Territory.
Make sure they don't have any cute ringtones on their cell phones.

... Kelly Square was reworked over a year and a half ago as part of the ballpark construction.
... But, yes, the old one was a pip:
The first time I went through there was during Friday evening rush hour.
We were headed to NJ, with #1 Nephew and his SO jammed in the back seat.
I was taking surface streets to avoid I-290 being stopped dead for miles.

I came in along Harding, and Waze and the chartplotter were telling me
to get across it somehow.

I squeezed pretty far in, but then ground to a halt.
I was almost ready to yell "Starboard!!!" out the moon roof,
when I saw that someone in a parallel stream was gonna
be able to progress, and I used that parallel traffic to block for me.
We were diverging, so my progress was no skin off of his teeth.

Afterwards the passengers were speechless;
they thought they were going to spend the entire weekend there.

I went to college in Worcester and then dated my wife for several years while she lived there. It was always interesting when we had to go out that way. It helped to be driving college-student-level cars at the time.

Damn, that's Shot-Spotter Territory.
Make sure they don't have any cute ringtones on their cell phones.

I have no idea what the hell you are saying, but don't cross the streams. In Ghostbusters or in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom