Worcester Pistol Rifle Outside Rifle Range Upgrade Project

At 09:00 the dignitaries speeches were completed. The band stopped playing. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. The ceremonious ribbon was cut and the 100 yard rifle range was officially opened to a thunderous cheer as hundreds of members showed their support. Balloons were released on a beautiful sunny day.

T4KsRy0.jpg

O.K. that did not really happen. [rolleyes] Truth be told, I was alone, but at exactly 09:00, I did say a quick prayer and did actually cut the ribbon to open the range. A few members did show up and used the rifle range. They didn't mind me watching and getting their opinions on the backstop.

GOAL was having a class on the Pistol Range, another member was using the Action Pit, and some members of the Pistol Team was practicing on the indoor range. All in all, a good morning.

Next up is working on the "Punch List" and getting the 25yrd, 50 yrd, and 75 yrd back online.

Jay

Last edited:
The action pit is always in high demand. Personally, I like it the best, especially with visitors. Any thoughts of adding a second pit as we redo the outdoor ranges? I have heard that we have a long defunct archery range that could maybe be converted.

This! The Action Pit is my favorite also, and agree that it is the best when bringing guests. We have property limitations. But there has been discussion on some other berm reconfiguration. I don't think that will happen until next year at the earliest.

The old archery range is quite overgrown. There is a positive conversation going on about putting a single lane Archery in back of the club house. The brush has been cut back and cleared. We have a built in berm. I didn't measure it exactly, but it is about 30 yards. I'd like to get back into archery also, so I hope that part gets worked on. I just don't have enough knowledge at this point to say one way or another.

I'll just throw this out there for all. When the montly meetings start up again, please come by and start the conversation for range reconfiguration, archery, etc. I can say 100% that the Executive Board listens to all suggestions. Make a good case, and see what happens.

Jay

Status update:
It's getting kind of silly that even before we're 100% complete with the upgrade, members can't follow simple friggin English to be respectful of the new rules for a new type of bullet trap.

We're requiring members to not use the 100 yard rifle range for close quarters pistol target practice. And to use the 100 yard rifle range for "accuracy shooting only" and to shoot rifles from the new shooting stands.

I truly don't understand how hard that is to understand. I've put signs in more locations than necessary.

We've had members put 2 liter soda bottle on the new wooden wall and stand 5 yards away to try and hit them! Another member actually put targets properly on stand but when standing less than 7 yards away shot so high it went over the berm into the woods. WTF. When confronted and asked why that direction, they said people on the other ranges were making a lot of noise and standing in front of the new berm was "quiet". Holy Crap, you mean it's loud at a shooting range?

O.K. Rant over, for now. Pictures of yet another temporary sign. Better more professional signs will be coming, but needed something to hopefully slow down the damage.

The more time I spend on silly a$$ signs, the less time we can work on the punch list to complete this project.

Damn, I feel like such a tool writing this update.

Jay

On the walkway towards the 100 yard rifle range. I know you, yes you peckerhead, will see and can read this English sign. You have to walk by it to get to the new berm.
Xr3wRK6.jpg

This same silly sign is standing 6 inches in front of the wood wall. For the few members who can't grasp the concept of shooting a gun. Please, look me in friggin eye and tell me again how you don't see the sign.

Dj1ScA6.jpg

What the sign actually says:

EKOY5UP.jpg

O.K. maybe I'm still cooking a bit.

Status update:
It's getting kind of silly that even before we're 100% complete with the upgrade, members can't follow simple friggin English to be respectful of the new rules for a new type of bullet trap.

We're requiring members to not use the 100 yard rifle range for close quarters pistol target practice. And to use the 100 yard rifle range for "accuracy shooting only" and to shoot rifles from the new shooting stands.

I truly don't understand how hard that is to understand. I've put signs in more locations than necessary.

We've had members put 2 liter soda bottle on the new wooden wall and stand 5 yards away to try and hit them! Another member actually put targets properly on stand but when standing less than 7 yards away shot so high it went over the berm into the woods. WTF. When confronted and asked why that direction, they said people on the other ranges were making a lot of noise and standing in front of the new berm was "quiet". Holy Crap, you mean it's loud at a shooting range?

O.K. Rant over, for now. Pictures of yet another temporary sign. Better more professional signs will be coming, but needed something to hopefully slow down the damage.

The more time I spend on silly a$$ signs, the less time we can work on the punch list to complete this project.

Damn, I feel like such a tool writing this update.

Jay

On the walkway towards the 100 yard rifle range. I know you, yes you peckerhead, will see and can read this English sign. You have to walk by it to get to the new berm.
Xr3wRK6.jpg

This same silly sign is standing 6 inches in front of the wood wall. For the few members who can't grasp the concept of shooting a gun. Please, look me in friggin eye and tell me again how you don't see the sign.

Dj1ScA6.jpg

What the sign actually says:

EKOY5UP.jpg

O.K. maybe I'm still cooking a bit.
Someone will probably turn that sign around and use the yellow as a hi viz target stapled to the wall.

Honestly, I've had nothing but good experiences with the fellow members I've met and talked with at the club, but there are a few who obviously insist on ruining things. Between things like this, not picking up brass, etc. I expect shit like this at a public range, not a private club like ours. Apparently the committee needs to do some better vetting; they're obviously allowing liberals in 😂!

Honestly, I've had nothing but good experiences with the fellow members I've met and talked with at the club, but there are a few who obviously insist on ruining things. Between things like this, not picking up brass, etc. I expect shit like this at a public range, not a private club like ours. Apparently the committee needs to do some better vetting; they're obviously allowing liberals in 😂!

Please don't take my rant at anything more than some frustration with an extremely low percentage of members who can't understand and or follow basic instructions to keep the new back stop intact.

I do agree 100% that the majority of members are very good people. They understand that it is their club, they understand the Executive Board expects them to be safe and to follow the rules that they agreed to when they joined the club. We are a members only club and vetting would be awesome, but for the life of me, how would they vet out "stupid".

I'm not being a DB, but I'm sure the subject will come up when monthly meetings start up in September. But to be quite frank, even though my name is Jay, that is only preaching to the choir. It is not reaching the people who treat the club and club rules as "hell, they can't possibly apply to me".

Jay

Any ETA on finishing the 25/50/75 berms on the rifle range? I am hoping those do not come with similar rules.

With all the restrictions now the entire rifle range is pretty much useless for 90% of folks. Short of the rare chance of snagging the action pit, now there is nowhere to shoot a rifle unless you are into bench shooting at 110 yards. Kind of a bummer..

Any ETA on finishing the 25/50/75 berms on the rifle range? I am hoping those do not come with similar rules.

With all the restrictions now the entire rifle range is pretty much useless for 90% of folks. Short of the rare chance of snagging the action pit, now there is nowhere to shoot a rifle unless you are into bench shooting at 110 yards. Kind of a bummer..

Short answer is that the 25, 50, and 75 yard should be fairly soon. I have some time penciled in early next week. I don't think it should take me to long.

We are not looking at any extra restrictions for those except that it should be for actual targets placed on target stands only, which is the way it was prior.

Opps, my bad, see next post for correction

Hope that helps.

Jay

Last edited:

I stand corrected, slightly. I double checked the existing rifle rules.

OUTDOOR RANGE RULES page 10 states:

Shooting at paper, clay, or steel targets is preferred. Glass, porcelain, ceramic or exploding targets are prohibited. Rocks as targets constitute a serious danger from fragmentation and ricochet and shall not be used. Clay pigeons, cans, plastic bottles, and bowling pins as targets are permitted. All targets must be removed from the range when finished.

While only actual targets are now permitted on the 100 yard berm, once the 25, 50, and 75 yard are back online, you can place "Clay pigeons, cans, plastic bottles, and bowling pins as targets".

Hope this helps.

Jay

I stand corrected, slightly. I double checked the existing rifle rules.

OUTDOOR RANGE RULES page 10 states:

Shooting at paper, clay, or steel targets is preferred. Glass, porcelain, ceramic or exploding targets are prohibited. Rocks as targets constitute a serious danger from fragmentation and ricochet and shall not be used. Clay pigeons, cans, plastic bottles, and bowling pins as targets are permitted. All targets must be removed from the range when finished.

While only actual targets are now permitted on the 100 yard berm, once the 25, 50, and 75 yard are back online, you can place "Clay pigeons, cans, plastic bottles, and bowling pins as targets".

Hope this helps.

Jay
Any idea when some steel might be installed on the 100 yard? Or is there something coming where we can hang our own steel?

Any idea when some steel might be installed on the 100 yard? Or is there something coming where we can hang our own steel?

I'll have to double check on the steel ETA for the 100 yard range. Or what other ideas might be forthcoming.

I know it isn't the same distance wise, but the Action Pit is a perfect spot for bring your own steel/targets/pins etc. I also know sometimes that range gets used quite a bit.

Jay

I'll have to double check on the steel ETA for the 100 yard range. Or what other ideas might be forthcoming.

I know it isn't the same distance wise, but the Action Pit is a perfect spot for bring your own steel/targets/pins etc. I also know sometimes that range gets used quite a bit.

Jay
Hey Jay,

Thanks for your efforts with all this. The range upgrade looks great. Are there any plans to freshen up the distance markers? (looks like they used to be there anyways?). Maybe it's just because I'm a newer shooter, but I'd find it valuable to, both on the pistol and rifle ranges, have some markings to gauge whether my impression of 25 yards is indeed 25 yards. Something as simple as some marked 4X4 posts on the ranges' margins would be super helpful.

Hey Jay,

Thanks for your efforts with all this. The range upgrade looks great. Are there any plans to freshen up the distance markers? (looks like they used to be there anyways?). Maybe it's just because I'm a newer shooter, but I'd find it valuable to, both on the pistol and rifle ranges, have some markings to gauge whether my impression of 25 yards is indeed 25 yards. Something as simple as some marked 4X4 posts on the ranges' margins would be super helpful.

I've brought up the exact idea you're talking about many times for both indoor and exterior ranges. The club has been hesitant on yard markers because of the belief that they would be destroyed. I have no problem with bringing it up again.

I can't tell you how many times I've measured all the ranges from different angles, widths, etc. You would think by now, I'd just right it down. D'oh! [hmmm]

Jay

I've brought up the exact idea you're talking about many times for both indoor and exterior ranges. The club has been hesitant on yard markers because of the belief that they would be destroyed. I have no problem with bringing it up again.

I can't tell you how many times I've measured all the ranges from different angles, widths, etc. You would think by now, I'd just right it down. D'oh! [hmmm]

Jay
Glad to know I'm not on a one man mission. If you think they're more likely to consider it if requested by other members I'd be happy to reach out - let me know. There must be a good solution that won't require heavy upkeep and maintenance.

Last edited:
Status Update:
I'll be working with another member on Monday morning to get the 25,50, & 75 yard berms back online. The stands to be redone will be wooden base stands with wooden uprights w/netting. Pretty much like it looked before the lead remediation.

The new 100 yard target stands are being anodized and while the manufacture has not given us an exact ship date, it is getting closer in the pipeline.

Range should be down for two to three hours.

Jay

Please don't take my rant at anything more than some frustration with an extremely low percentage of members who can't understand and or follow basic instructions to keep the new back stop intact.

I do agree 100% that the majority of members are very good people. They understand that it is their club, they understand the Executive Board expects them to be safe and to follow the rules that they agreed to when they joined the club. We are a members only club and vetting would be awesome, but for the life of me, how would they vet out "stupid".

I'm not being a DB, but I'm sure the subject will come up when monthly meetings start up in September. But to be quite frank, even though my name is Jay, that is only preaching to the choir. It is not reaching the people who treat the club and club rules as "hell, they can't possibly apply to me".

Jay
No, I get it. Not thinking you were being a DB at all, just agreeing with your rant. Most rants about people or groups in reality are about a small percentage. I was the president of my condo association for several years. 48 units, about 80 residents total. Six of them were enough for me to say I'm done.

Status Update:
With the assistance from @84ta406 , we completed building new pressure treated bottom shooting stand holders, leveled the ground, and installed five target upright stands(two on the 25 and 50 yard, and one on the 75 yard berms).

I kinda over engineered the bottoms, but they did come out quite nice and are quite heavy duty. They are better than the pictures shows.

In today's summary, all rifle ranges are online,open and fully functional.

Still items on the punch list to do, but getting closer and closer to 100% completion.

Thank you very much for the assistance @84ta406 !

Jay

25 yard

kF4UAPh.jpg

50 yard
u80ytlf.jpg

75 yard (kinda a crappy picture)

BeNZsPm.jpg

25 old style shooting stand. All "closed" signage and "construction yellow tape" have been removed.

QL3Lgtk.jpg

[party]

Status Update:
With the assistance from @84ta406 , we completed building new pressure treated bottom shooting stand holders, leveled the ground, and installed five target upright stands(two on the 25 and 50 yard, and one on the 75 yard berms).

I kinda over engineered the bottoms, but they did come out quite nice and are quite heavy duty. They are better than the pictures shows.

In today's summary, all rifle ranges are online,open and fully functional.

Still items on the punch list to do, but getting closer and closer to 100% completion.

Thank you very much for the assistance @84ta406 !

Jay

25 yard

kF4UAPh.jpg

50 yard
u80ytlf.jpg

75 yard (kinda a crappy picture)

BeNZsPm.jpg

25 old style shooting stand. All "closed" signage and "construction yellow tape" have been removed.

QL3Lgtk.jpg

Status Update:
With the assistance from @84ta406 , we are moving forward with adding a few steel targets to the 100 yard range. @84ta406 brought a miniature prototype which looks very nice and is quite promising.

The 100 yard punch list items are slowly being completed.

I'm going to start another separate thread for the range/berm updating. We've had quite a bit of overgrowth of the berms and surrounding areas. It's kinda shrinking the views to even start to potentially reconfigure.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom