• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club IDPA 9-8-18

Pre-Registration is open this is the best way to be sure that your IDPA number, class and division are correct. PCC is not offered at this match. Here is the link to register you still need to sign the waiver, pay the match fee $20 or $15 for WP&R members and put yourself in a squad in the club house the morning of the match before 9:45am

Home | PractiScore

Last edited:
I'm curious if a brand new shooter can shoot in IDPA matches at W P&R. I was told by one club that I'm required to take an Intro to IDPA class before I'm allowed to shoot in their matches, but they only offer said classes on Tuesdays from 9-5 and like most people I work M-F 9-5.

At first that sounds ridiculous ... but after a moment of thoughts and remembering what I have seen and heard new shooters doing at recent local matches, it seems reasonable. I'm referring to the requirement to take an into class, the limited available scheduling for the class is asking a lot. Several clubs in the the area host practice sessions that are open to non members, these are usually weekday evenings, and should be easier to attend, and IMO anyone looking to attend their first match, should go to a practice or two first.

I agree its not a bad idea, but I cant see myself taking time off work to do it. As soon as I get my name and IDPA number logged into their system though, I wont be considered a "new" shooter anymore though and I have a range that I can go shoot an IDPA match at. So i'll be doing that next weekend if the weather holds out. I already have the mindset of "no time" in my first few, just going to focus on safety and accuracy, basically walk through the stages and at future matches once I watch a little more and get the feeling of what its actually like on the firing line, i'll work on getting faster.

I'm curious if a brand new shooter can shoot in IDPA matches at W P&R. I was told by one club that I'm required to take an Intro to IDPA class before I'm allowed to shoot in their matches, but they only offer said classes on Tuesdays from 9-5 and like most people I work M-F 9-5.
I’ve heard of that being a requirement of some clubs on the south shore/cape if I recall correctly.

I know Woburn Sportsman’s assocaition, Worcester, Harvard, and Old Colony Sportsman’s Club, don’t require that you have taken an intro course.

Woburn has practice every other Sunday at 4 I believe. @vickers can confirm as I haven’t made it to a practice in quite some time.

And Harvard has practices on Wednesday nights I believe.

My first ever match/competition was at Woburn 3 years ago. I never attended a practice or intro course. Just jumped right in. As long as you are safe/proficient with drawing/holstering, and being aware of your muzzle and the 180 degree rule, you’ll be fine.

I say you come out to Worcester tomorrow and get your feet wet.

Busy tomorrow, but I've got a match that I'm gonna go try out Sunday down the cape. I'll be sure to set the baseline time so everyone else will look amazing haha.

My first ever match/competition was at Woburn 3 years ago. I never attended a practice or intro course. Just jumped right in. As long as you are safe/proficient with drawing/holstering, and being aware of your muzzle and the 180 degree rule, you’ll be fine.

I say you come out to Worcester tomorrow and get your feet wet.

The best way to get into it, is to do it. But as long as you do whats in bold, you'll be good to go. Let the RO know its your first match, and be open to suggestions/tips!

I’ve heard of that being a requirement of some clubs on the south shore/cape if I recall correctly.

I know Woburn Sportsman’s assocaition, Worcester, Harvard, and Old Colony Sportsman’s Club, don’t require that you have taken an intro course.

Woburn has practice every other Sunday at 4 I believe. @vickers can confirm as I haven’t made it to a practice in quite some time.

And Harvard has practices on Wednesday nights I believe.

It's not exactly every other Sunday. It's the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month.

And Andrew is correct, at Woburn Sportsmen's we do not have a rule, that I know of, about not allowing shooters who haven't taken an Intro to IDPA course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom