Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

This Sunday's Pin shoot is rescheduled due to weather. Here is John Cunninghams note:

The weather forecast for this Sunday does not look good, high winds, rain and maybe some snow. So the pin shoot for this Sunday the 24th is cancelled.

The match has been rescheduled for Sunday December 1st same time same place.

Please spread the word!

JC

Proper call John and thanks for the heads up.

Jay

Member Renewal notices are on their way. If you don't receive your renewal letter within a week, please contact the membership chairman.
Contact Information:
WPRC Web Site
Web Site contact page

Also, there are approximately 40 - 50 new member applications in the queue, sorted by the date recieved. If you know of any potential members who would like to join, please have them read our rules and fill out an application. It does not require any financial commitment. Application & Rules

Have a Merry Christmas,

Jay

A bit late to the game but I sent in my application the other day with a sponsor on it. Hopefully I make the cut.

The order of new members is based on the order /date received. Swatgig is correct on the waiting list and yearly turnover. I think you'll be fine. I think new member orientation is in March for vote in around April. Pretty close in time.

FYI, you are welcome as a guest to attend the monthly meetings, held the first Thursday of the month. It is held upstairs in the meeting/training room. Starts at 19:00. After the Pledge of Allegiance, the President asks if there are any guests? You just raise your hand, he'll ask your name and welcome you. Very low key and friendly.

Keep an eye on this forum section, as lots of information is here.

Plus, your from Leicester, so you got that going for you... [wink]

Jay

A bit late to the game but I sent in my application the other day with a sponsor on it. Hopefully I make the cut.

I'm sure you will. I joined last year. Great place, very low key. My work schedule allows me to go there during the week, and I pretty much have the place to myself. I think the most I ever encountered were three other people on the outdoor ranges.

Only problem is the Goddamn people who don't pick up their brass!!

Thanks guys, I'll try to make the next meeting and introduce myself. I generally have my son on Thursdays but I can work around it since I know ahead of time. Really looking forward to having a place to shoot without driving all the way to MFS.

This Sunday's (January 19th) Work Party has been cancelled due to the impending snow storm late Saturday overnight into the morning. Even if the snow stops early, plowing and clearing out snow would prevent us from getting much maintenance done.

As a side note, the indoor range will be closed early (about 07:00 - 09:00) tomorrow so I can dump the lead trays and vacuum the shooting stands. As the winter weather continues (d'uh.. :rolleyes: ), the indoor range gets used more often and needs more hours of maintenance completed.

Please pass along to anyone who might be planning on coming out during these times.

Jay

General Monthly Business meeting tonight 19:00 -20:30 or so. Indoor range closed for lead removal maintenance for a few hours prior to meeting.

All are welcome. Lee, our membership chairman will be there, so if you want to renew your yearly dues in person, he will be there in the back of the meeting room.

Jay

Lee, our membership chairman will be there, so if you want to renew your yearly dues in person, he will be there in the back of the meeting room.
Protip: Talk to Lee BEFORE the meeting. Don't make him unpack everything after the meeting to renew your membership. It makes him cranky. (Ask me how I know)

Main takeaway from Thursday's Monthly Business Meeting was for members renewing their yearly membership to have it post marked by at the latest February 29th, 2020 so your access won't be turned off. If you have not received your renewal in the mail, contact the club ASAP.

Also, Tuesday, February 11th from 13:00 - 15:30 the Indoor Range ONLY will be shutdown for maintenance. All other ranges will be open.

There are approximately 50 active / responded new applications in the queue / waiting list. The club will still be actively accepting applications for this spring's new member orientation.

Jay

If you did NOT get your membership renewal form post marked by February 29th (yes Membership Chairman took into consideration the leap year, I.E.: also known as an intercalary year or bissextile year and gave procrastinators some extra time, then get your butt to the Thursday March 5th Monthly Business Meeting and renew in person before the meeting begins at 19:00. FYI, range is closed from 17:00 -19:00 for maintenance.

Why was there a WPRC Leap Year you ask? Well, the extra days – called leap days – help synchronize our human-created calendars with Earth’s orbit around the sun and the actual passing of the seasons. Why do we need them? Blame Earth’s orbit around the sun, which takes approximately 365.25 days. It’s that .25 that creates the need for a leap year every four years.

O.K. a little humor injected, but if you want to renew, Thursday evening is the date/time to get it done.

Jay

To all prospective new members, when you go through your orientation if you happen to walk around outside please don't think that the ground is paved with spent brass, that's just the irresponsible asshats who refuse to pick up after themselves. I was there yesterday morning; did some shooting inside then went outside to the 100 yard range. The amount of recent spent brass on the ground was ridiculous! :mad:

I go during the weekdays and usually I’m the only one there or one or two others. Seems like I’m sweeping the entire pistol range shooting area, not just where I was. Yes, ridiculous and disgusting.......

Thanks to all Mom's and Dad's who raised their children to respect and follow the easy rules of picking up what you brought in. Seems simple, but for some reason, it's still an issue.

And thanks Enzo for picking up your brass and others brass. I was on the range today and the other members I observed were being "good stewards" of the club. Good job.

That being said, my observation was only for about 45 minutes. YMMV

Jay

@a73elkyss , if you saw a guy shooting a 45-70 and grabbing all his brass, that was me. That stuff is too expensive to leave behind. Being a reloader gives you a very different perspective regarding brass. Heck, given the chance, I would gladly collect the lead out of the berms :)

I wish folks would take their paper targets and other sundry items that get shot at though. Stuff sooner or later ends up on the ground and inevitably will end up in a neighbors yard. Picked up my share off the ground today. Pete

From last night's (3-5-2020) monthly business meeting regarding membership renewal and new member orientation.:

Many existing members attended and paid their yearly membership dues. Some had some "anxiety" issues. As a fellow procrastinator, I can appreciate that, but really, anytime after January or February of every year, feel free to pay your dues and take the stress out.

New member orientation meeting dates/time. New members must attend one before the next monthly business meeting of April 2nd to be voted in.
March 12th at 7:00PM
March 15th at 09:00AM
March 18th at 7:00PM

Plan on showing up at least one hour prior to start time. This will allow for parking (which will be very tight) and checking in. You should have received some type of communication from the Membership Chairman to confirm you application.

Remember, you have to have a valid LTC and be a member of GOAL.

No money is due to attend the orientation. If and when you are voted in as new members is when you will pay your membership dues.

You MUST attend one of the three orientation meetings. Scheduled for a Thursday evening, or a Sunday morning, and a Wednesday evening. Really no reason not to be able to get to one of them.

If you know of someone who would like to join, have them download the application, fill it out, and bring it (early) to one of the orientation meetings, as we still have some room for new members. As everyone else, they must bring their LTC and Goal membership card.

Unofficial, not sanctioned, not paid, WPRC Town Crier. In other words, YMMV, you're on your own. [wink]

Jay

@a73elkyss , if you saw a guy shooting a 45-70 and grabbing all his brass, that was me. That stuff is too expensive to leave behind. Being a reloader gives you a very different perspective regarding brass. Heck, given the chance, I would gladly collect the lead out of the berms :)

I wish folks would take their paper targets and other sundry items that get shot at though. Stuff sooner or later ends up on the ground and inevitably will end up in a neighbors yard. Picked up my share off the ground today. Pete

Thanks Pete.

Sad to say, we have to continually have this conversation. We are all looking for better solutions.

Leaving the range (which is a member driven club, not a commercial retail range) littered means the all volunteer monthly work party has to clean up after you. Volunteers keep the yearly membership dues down.

If cleanup time costs from unappreciative members continue month after month, exceeding the time and effort of the people who volunteer to clean up, other measures will have to be evaluated.

Besides brass, litter such as targets,broken glass, bottle caps, and shredded aluminum cans can be a hazard.

Food scraps such as chicken bones and rancid food can be dangerous to other shooters that arrive after you. Not only that, but food waste can attract rodents , yellow jackets and other insects that others may have allergies to.

If you enjoy your club (like I do), please show your appreciation by taking care of it and pick up your brass along with whatever trash you brought in. We have plenty of brass buckets, trash buckets, dud containers, brooms and dust pans. If anyone needs a tuturiol on how to use any of these items, please contact me and I'll be more than happy to teach you. :rolleyes:

If we each do our part, we can keep range safe and clean for the next member to use. Leaving the range better than you found it, just makes it better for all members.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but ranting and babbling on is one of my traits.

Jay

Last edited:
From the Worcester Pistol and Rifle web site:

Worcester Pistol Rifle Club – A Safe Place To Shoot

NOTICES **

URGENT NOTICE

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

FOLLOWING CARONAVIRUS PROTOCALS

• IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME
  • MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING, 6 FT APART
  • INDOOR RANGE – ONLY USE LEFT, RIGHT, AND MIDDLE LANES, 3 SHOOTERS MAX AT A TIME
  • USE RUBBER GLOVES IF YOU HAVE THEM
  • USE DISINFECTANT WIPES ON ALL AREAS YOU TOUCH, BEFORE AND AFTER YOU SHOOT
  • BATHROOMS SHOULD BE WIPED DOWN WITH DISINFECTANT WIPES BEFORE AND AFTER EACH USE
  • WASH HANDS FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS FREQUENTLY
  • MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING GLOVES AND WIPES

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE PROTOCALS. THE LAST OPTION WILL BE TO CLOSE THE CLUB

DUE TO THE GOVERNORS BAN ON MEETINGS OVER 10 PEOPLE, WE ARE CANCELLING THE APRIL 2ND MONTHLY MEETING.

Albert F. Bonofiglio, Jr., President

The Chinese Corona virus has caused the April Pin Shoot, IDPA Practice, and IDPA match to be cancelled. Keep an eye on the ranges website for other updates.
For both competitions, check out the IDPA Club Info and join their Yahoo Group as you will receive all the updates in a very timely manner.

Stay safe, stay sanitized, and stay aware.

Best to all and your families.

Jay

The Chinese Corona virus has caused the April Pin Shoot, IDPA Practice, and IDPA match to be cancelled. Keep an eye on the ranges website for other updates.
For both competitions, check out the IDPA Club Info and join their Yahoo Group as you will receive all the updates in a very timely manner.

Stay safe, stay sanitized, and stay aware.

Best to all and your families.

Jay
😭

It is with a heavy heart that I pass on the following message from the President of Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club:

In compliance with the State Mandate regarding the Coronavirus, the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club is closed until further notice.

[/end of statement]

Stay safe, stay sanitized, and stay aware. Keep your families and loved ones safe and take all precautions.

Jay

1586006257924.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom