• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

Indoor Range will be closed this weekend for cleaning and painting. The painters have to do a thorough cleaning, patching and skim coating of the walls. After that, it needs to completely dry before they can apply primer and paint.
There should be signs there.

More status pictures:

Jay

IMzzYLp.jpg

SWQYv9y.jpg

GO6Lu34.jpg

Went to the meeting last Thursday along with sons #2 and #3– we were welcomed very warmly by all and given a look around the range— great club. Can’t wait for a chance at membership, this seems exactly what we are all looking for.

Anyone know roughly how long you can expect to spend on the wait list until possibly being considered for membership? I'm in Worcester, and from what I've looked into, this seems like the type of club I'd want to join.
I'll be there this month for a class through GOAL, which will give me an opportunity to check some of it out. Thanks.

John

Anyone know roughly how long you can expect to spend on the wait list until possibly being considered for membership? I'm in Worcester, and from what I've looked into, this seems like the type of club I'd want to join.
I'll be there this month for a class through GOAL, which will give me an opportunity to check some of it out. Thanks.

John

The wait list is currently about mid 50's. We usually turn over 100 each year around the April time frame. Applications and wait list order is determined by when the club receives your application. My suggestion is to put it in now. You do have to be a member of GOAL, but other than that, there is not a cost associated with putting in your application. And if you're taking a GOAL course, you already belong to GOAL (which is a good thing)

Besides checking out the club during your GOAL class, there is one last Pin Shoot on the 18th that is open to the public. Plus each month there is an IDPA match. Check the web site calendar.

Jay

Went to the meeting last Thursday along with sons #2 and #3– we were welcomed very warmly by all and given a look around the range— great club. Can’t wait for a chance at membership, this seems exactly what we are all looking for.

So you noticed we are mostly harmless.[wink] It's a good club and I enjoy shooting there. Very safe, convenient, and nobody bothers you (as long as your safe). Strictly a "shooting club". No bar, no hall rentals, not even any vending machines. I would also consider it a "Family Range". I've brought my wife, daughter and granddaughter there. They like the inside range and appreciate nice modern facilities. I've never been ashamed or embarrassed to bring them.

Jay

The wait list is currently about mid 50's. We usually turn over 100 each year around the April time frame. Applications and wait list order is determined by when the club receives your application. My suggestion is to put it in now. You do have to be a member of GOAL, but other than that, there is not a cost associated with putting in your application. And if you're taking a GOAL course, you already belong to GOAL (which is a good thing)

Besides checking out the club during your GOAL class, there is one last Pin Shoot on the 18th that is open to the public. Plus each month there is an IDPA match. Check the web site calendar.

Jay

Thank you very much for the information. Apparently you've answered this before, haha. I apologize if its been answered ad nauseum and I failed to do a proper search.

John

Indoor Range will be closed this weekend for cleaning and painting. The painters have to do a thorough cleaning, patching and skim coating of the walls. After that, it needs to completely dry before they can apply primer and paint.
There should be signs there.

The website says that it's painted and open now. Is that correct? Or did you have other information?

Is the club currently accepting new members at this time? I’ve been shooting at Mass Firearms school for a bit, but am looking for a club that is closer to home & has both an indoor & outdoor range. I’ll be mailing in my application tomorrow, but due to the fact I don’t have a sponsor I’m assuming I’ll be pretty low on the priority list.

I'm in the same exact boat. I'd love to meet some members and see the facility. I haven't sent my application yet due to not having any sponsors but it seems from reading the thread its probably best to jet send it in asap and add the sponsors as they come, would you guys agree?

Thanks

I'm in the same exact boat. I'd love to meet some members and see the facility. I haven't sent my application yet due to not having any sponsors but it seems from reading the thread its probably best to jet send it in asap and add the sponsors as they come, would you guys agree?

Thanks

Yes, agreed. Get your application in. Feel free to come by Sunday November 18th for the last Pin shoot of the year. Pin Shoots runs from 12:00 noon to about 2:30 depending on how many show up. We do setup around 10:30 to 11:00, so you can casually look around then as no outdoor shooting until noon. It's open to the public. You can shoot the match or just look around. It's a fun match. Bring eyes and ears as the other outdoor ranges open at noon. Cost is $7.00 for non members, $5 for members.

You can also check out the monthly IDPA match on November 10th and IDPA always has an open IDPA practice on the Sunday before a match. Definitely a very good competition with friendly and very safe members running it. Check out the website for exact dates.

And like some others have done, come to the monthly business meeting the first Thursday of the month. We are mostly harmless.....[wink]

Jay

Yes, agreed. Get your application in. Feel free to come by Sunday November 18th for the last Pin shoot of the year. Pin Shoots runs from 12:00 noon to about 2:30 depending on how many show up. We do setup around 10:30 to 11:00, so you can casually look around then as no outdoor shooting until noon. It's open to the public. You can shoot the match or just look around. It's a fun match. Bring eyes and ears as the other outdoor ranges open at noon. Cost is $7.00 for non members, $5 for members.

You can also check out the monthly IDPA match on November 10th and IDPA always has an open IDPA practice on the Sunday before a match. Definitely a very good competition with friendly and very safe members running it. Check out the website for exact dates.

And like some others have done, come to the monthly business meeting the first Thursday of the month. We are mostly harmless.....[wink]

Jay

I will try to get my application in today. Not sure of my schedule yet but if i'm free i'll definitely come check out the pin shoot.

Thanks

OK...I need some clarification.

Are pistol caliber carbines OK for indoors here (9mm parabellum, specifically)? The way the rules read, they are...but I got told a few weeks back that I was not allowed to, and rather than start an argument I figured I'd check here to see if someone is 'in the know.'

Rules read as follows:

2. Use of the following is PROHIBITED:

• Armor piercing, tracer, and incendiary ammunition
• Center fire ammunition greater than 500 S&W Allows use of 44 Magnum, 454 Casull and S&W 500 Magnum All jacketed and hollow point ammunition is allowed
• Shotguns and shot shells of any type or caliber including handgun
• Center fire rifles (22 caliber of all types are allowed)
• Fully automatic guns
• 17 calib2. Use of the following is PROHIBITED:
• Center fire ammunition greater than 500 S&W Allows use of 44 Magnum, 454 Casull and S&W 500 Magnum All jacketed and hollow point ammunition is allowed
• Fully automatic guns
• 17 caliber

My gun is a 9mm with a 16" barrel. I'm shooting regular old home spun 115gr ball loads.

Are pistol caliber carbines OK for indoors here (9mm parabellum, specifically)? The way the rules read, they are...but I got told a few weeks back that I was not allowed to, and rather than start an argument I figured I'd check here to see if someone is 'in the know.'

Rules read as follows:

• Fully automatic guns
• 17 calib2. Use of the following is PROHIBITED:
• Fully automatic guns
• 17 caliber

My gun is a 9mm with a 16" barrel. I'm shooting regular old home spun 115gr ball loads.
Wouldn't that be considered a center file rifle?

Rules read as follows:

Wouldn't your rifle be a "Center Fire Rifle" larger than a 22?

Jay

I lost my renewal application that came in the mail.
Where can I obtain another copy to fill and mail in?

You can come by the general meeting held the first Thursday of the month. The Membership Chairman (Lee) is always there early and you can talk with him. Or if you'd like, just bring your information and a check and renew in person before the meeting starts.

Jay

Mine didn’t even have a renewal application, just instructions to send the check, photocopy of my LTC (or FID) and photocopy of my up to date GOAL membership card.

Yes, that is exactly what they are looking for now. You're a member so you really don't have to "apply" again. That's what I interpret it to mean.

Jay

Wouldn't your rifle be a "Center Fire Rifle" larger than a 22?

Jay

It's not a rifle cartridge though...it's a 9mm parabellum. It's basically long barrel pistol. I can see the confusion, but the muzzle velocity isn't anywhere even NEAR any rifle cartridge or as powerful as 2/3rds of the pistol calibers allowed.

It's not a rifle cartridge though...it's a 9mm parabellum. It's basically long barrel pistol. I can see the confusion, but the muzzle velocity isn't anywhere even NEAR any rifle cartridge or as powerful as 2/3rds of the pistol calibers allowed.

I asked a very similar question when the new range was put in. I have lever action .38/.357. I was told that even though they're pistol rounds, they didn't want them being shot indoors with a rifle.

just suck it up and go freeze outside ;)

I asked a very similar question when the new range was put in. I have lever action .38/.357. I was told that even though they're pistol rounds, they didn't want them being shot indoors with a rifle.

just suck it up and go freeze outside ;)

the weather isn't the issue, trust me. i'm on the rifle range a few times a week just before sun down after work (red tacoma you may have seen there)...it's the darkness and the fact that I was trying to let my buddy try out my new gun.

I guess i'm going to have to throw some science at these people and show them how ridiculous this bullshit policy is.

I'm not being a DB, really I'm not. I have a PCC that I'd like to shoot indoors also, but the rules say no, so yes, I go outside to shoot it.

Please come by the monthly meeting and bring it up and if you don't like the existing rule or explanation, propose a change and see if the club will vote on it. It's membership club and rules can be changed.

Jay

I guess i'm going to have to throw some science at these people and show them how ridiculous this bullshit policy is.

Not a member there, but it's very plausibly not entirely bullshit. PCCs shoot 200-250 fps faster with the same bullets. At the outlier, 45acp +p 165gr out of 16" barrel is like 1630fps. A 30-30 is 170gr with 2200 fps.

There are bullet traps that are rated for 308@3kfps: chances are, you don't have one as they are expensive. If it's a rubber trap, using pcc would make it ablate/break down faster - probably unacceptably fast. If it's steel, then it may ablate if you don't limit to non-jacketed bullets only. Also, lead dust is an issue: more pewpew, higher blood lead levels without better ventilation. Oh, and sound dampening is a thing. I know other people are ginger about shooting their space guns, and even my 45 is a little loud - why make everybody else double-up on ear pro?

So, do you want to add a dozen arcane rules that, chances are, you can't reasonably enforce, and people will blow off, and might not allow you to shoot what you want (i.e. limited to 9mm non-jacketed, subsonic only, no comps since it might...I don't know, set the ceiling soundproofing on fire or something, also you have to carry extra earplugs for everybody if they want, etc, etc)?

Otherwise, find out how much it would be to bring the backstop, ventilation and sound dampening up to snuff for PCC, and pony up the difference, or take up a collection amongst the other PCC guys, sell baked goods, hold a fundraiser PCC competition prone-only outdoor shoot in the rain to underscore the need for an indoor range, etc.

Not a member there, but it's very plausibly not entirely bullshit. PCCs shoot 200-250 fps faster with the same bullets. At the outlier, 45acp +p 165gr out of 16" barrel is like 1630fps. A 30-30 is 170gr with 2200 fps.

There are bullet traps that are rated for 308@3kfps: chances are, you don't have one as they are expensive. If it's a rubber trap, using pcc would make it ablate/break down faster - probably unacceptably fast. If it's steel, then it may ablate if you don't limit to non-jacketed bullets only. Also, lead dust is an issue: more pewpew, higher blood lead levels without better ventilation. Oh, and sound dampening is a thing. I know other people are ginger about shooting their space guns, and even my 45 is a little loud - why make everybody else double-up on ear pro?

So, do you want to add a dozen arcane rules that, chances are, you can't reasonably enforce, and people will blow off, and might not allow you to shoot what you want (i.e. limited to 9mm non-jacketed, subsonic only, no comps since it might...I don't know, set the ceiling soundproofing on fire or something, also you have to carry extra earplugs for everybody if they want, etc, etc)?

Otherwise, find out how much it would be to bring the backstop, ventilation and sound dampening up to snuff for PCC, and pony up the difference, or take up a collection amongst the other PCC guys, sell baked goods, hold a fundraiser PCC competition prone-only outdoor shoot in the rain to underscore the need for an indoor range, etc.
I think Dakar is saying that calibers such as 500 magnum which will shoot a 300 gr bullet over 2,000 fps are allowed so why can't a PCC be allowed that shoots a 115 gr bullet at ~1400 fps?o_O

I'd take a WAG and say they don't want new members and/or guests to see someone shooting a 9mm AR and think they can shoot .223/5.56??

Back
Top Bottom