Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

100 Yard Rifle range status update:

I'll be working with another member on Monday morning to get the 25,50, & 75 yard berms back online. The stands to be redone will be wooden base stands with wooden uprights w/netting. Pretty much like it looked before the lead remediation.

We are using tempory wooden shooting stands/wooden upright w/netting until the new target stands arrive. According to the manufacture, the new 100 yard target stands are being anodized and while the manufacture has not given us an exact ship date, it is getting closer in the pipeline.

Range should be down for two to three hours.

Jay

Are the IDPA matches on hold?

No, they are not on hold. Are you on the IDPA mailing list via Yahoo Groups? If so, I believe they sent out a notification about the practice on August 2nd. I also believe there is a capacity limit due to the Chinese Covid19 virus release on the world. Thanks China! NOT!

Jay

Status Update:
With the assistance from @84ta406 , we completed building new pressure treated bottom shooting stand holders, leveled the ground, and installed five target upright stands(two on the 25 and 50 yard, and one on the 75 yard berms).

I kinda over engineered the bottoms, but they did come out quite nice and are quite heavy duty.

In today's summary, all rifle ranges are online,open and fully functional.

Still items on the punch list to do, but getting closer and closer to 100% completion.

Thank you very much for the assistance @84ta406 !

Jay

Work Party tomorrow, Sunday 13th of September, will be running long as one of our contractors believes they won't be done before noon. They will work as rapidly as safety permits. Ranges will be shutdown as work continues.

Side note, and not needed for tomorrow, I'm looking for a member that has a drone with decent camera to give us a better idea of our property borders and berms.

Jay

Last edited:
Not for the faint of heart, so here goes.

As the warm weather fades, more pistol shooters will be moving to the indoor range. During this China Virus, we have had to limit the five lanes down to three. Even with only three out of five lanes open, maintenance time and effort increases quite a bit. During the warm weather we can get by with a once a month cleaning, but during most of the year, every two weeks is minimum.

The club is looking for one or more volunteers to remove and clean the indoor range. This does include mostly lead particles. I'm not going to sugar coat what needs to be done. This is hazardous material and as such, needs to handled in a specific methodical way to keep everyone safe. I can explain it better in person or in a one on one
conversation.

The time you spend will go toward your work assement (maximum 8 hours per year) which will lower your renewal membership fee.

The club will provide disposable PPE. Some items are still tough to come by, such as respirators, but I'm presently working on that. The masks that you wear out and about during this China crap will absolutely NOT be effective for this. Everyone will have to have a dedicated respirator with proper filters.

PM me and I can give you my personal contact information to go forward.

I'm also looking for a member that has a drone with decent camera to give us a better idea of our property borders and berms.

Jay

Week of 9-21-2020. Out side Rifle and Action Pit (and possibly outside Pistol Range) will be closed Monday - Wednesday for Berm reconstruction project. Contractor/Vendor heavy equipment will be onsite starting 05:30 Monday.

Indoor pistol range will remain open using the Chinese Pandemic rules. Please use every other lane and keep distance apart and keep the exhaust fans going.

Questions, concerns, conundrums? Contact me via PM.

Jay

Week of 9-21-2020. Out side Rifle and Action Pit (and possibly outside Pistol Range) will be closed Monday - Wednesday for Berm reconstruction project. Contractor/Vendor heavy equipment will be onsite starting 05:30 Monday.

Indoor pistol range will remain open using the Chinese Pandemic rules. Please use every other lane and keep distance apart and keep the exhaust fans going.

Questions, concerns, conundrums? Contact me via PM.

Jay

Outside Ranges Status:
All Outside ranges are open under "normal Chinese Pandemic" restrictions. You all know the drill.

Berm reconfiguration Phase 1 around the 75 yard shooting stand came out better than expected and went much faster than expected. Pictures soon.

Trees cut down, scrap metal removed, ground wasps terminated, stumps removed, most large rocks removed, extend drainage away from impact area, build up 75 yard berm to about 5 or 6 times volume, grade area and other misc. items.

Jay

Pictures:

CqHarmX.jpg

ZTBT0VD.jpg

Last edited:
Some have said "why invest all this time and effort". Short answer is that we only have so much land. And our land is "encroaching US!" When I looked deep into the overgrowth, I found a lot of land that we were under-using. What a surprise. So the clear cutting and reconfiguration started. This is only the start. More work on other parts of our property are in the cross hairs. [laugh]

Some before pictures for a better perspective:

Notice the old 75 yard berm in the lower left corner. Just a little overgrowth. [laugh]

j1i3EIM.jpg

Behind the 75 yard berm on the right of the picture.

herW3B4.jpg

Notice the overgrowth on the right side in back of the cement truck and to the right. Yikes!

LaVVTNd.jpg

Jay

Last edited:
October Monthly Business meeting originally scheduled for Thursday the 1st, has been CANCELLED!

The indoor range will still be shut down in the late afternoon for normal maintenance, probally around 3:30 or so for a couple of hours. Weather is still decent, so pistol shooting should be just fine outside.

Jay

Last edited:
Maintenance Range Closure for the week of November 3rd through 6th.

Outdoor Rifle Range (25, 50, 75, and 100 yard) Thursday 11/5 noon to 4:30PM.

FYI Outdoor Pistol and Outdoor Action Pit will remain open during normal hours.

Indoor Range: Thursday 11/5 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM.

There may be some rotating range closure for Friday 11/6 starting at 11:00 AM

FYI Gov. Charles is planning on implementing new lock downs "rules" this Friday. Please keep you masks on and keep your distance from others. I agree with the following "
How deadly is this disease if you have to take a test to see if you have it??????
'

Thanks,

Jay

November Work Party cancelled!

Sorry for the late notice, but circumstances change, so we adapt. [hmmm]

While the November Member volunteer Work Party is cancelled, there will be some work on the outdoor rifle range. Outdoor Rifle Range (25, 50, 75, and 100 yard) will be closed Sunday November 15th from 07:00 to mid afternoon. This is due to work on the new rubber berm.

FYI Outdoor Pistol and Outdoor Action Pit will remain open during normal hours starting at noon Sunday as normal.

Please pass on to other members who may not read or subscribe to this thread.

Jay

Update from yesterday's work on the Outdoor Rifle Range (25, 50, 75, and 100 yard) that was closed Sunday November 15th from 07:00 to almost 15:00. Two members fabricated and installed modifications to @84ta406 awesome incredibly heavy duty "Steel Stand" that we mounted inside the rubber berm. They also installed an 8" gong that was donated by another member.

Thank you to all members for stepping up and assisting. We have future ideas for more steel, but like everything else in life, you have to start somewhere.

Over the course of the winter, we will continue to hit things on the Outdoor Rifle Range punch list and try as hard as possible to impact member shooting access as little as possible.

Side note. Please ONLY SHOOT FROM THE SHOOTING STANDS on the Outdoor Rifle Ranges (25, 50, 75, and 100 yard). Please don't put targets, pumpkins (WTF), clays, etc. on the ground in front of the shooting stands and shoot at the ground. Not safe or acceptable. All rounds must hit the target berms from the shooting stands.

Pictures coming soon.

Thanks,

Jay

How was the target holder? It's my first design and just kind of took a swing at it.

Great design and rock friggon solid. Thank you. It was quite the endeavor digging out almost 3 feet of rubber to get the bottom mounting steel to the cement foundation. After we got it down, we installed 10 bolts directly into the foundation. It's not going anywhere. We hung via chains a donated 8 inch gong on it and it is getting positive reviews.

Over the course of the winter, we'd like to get more steel installed. Although in reality, it might be spring time frame before the next round of steel is installed.

Jay

How was the target holder? It's my first design and just kind of took a swing at it.

Excellent job @84ta406 on the stand. Damn heavy duty. It took three men and a small boy to move that around the loose rubber berm. [party]

Every time we thought we could move, we'd sink deeper into the rubber. And we needed the base 100% in contact with the foundation to ensure stability before drilling the anchoring attachment bolts.

Modifications to the stand ( @84ta406 was kind to design and manufacture) are mostly on the tube uprights. The actual base is buried under the rubber. The pictures don't really do the actual stand justice. And it is difficult to appreciate the 27 degree angle (notice picture two and the gravity of the gong) and the depth of the loose rubber. Together as a package, it is working well. From what we can tell when digging the rubber to install the base, rounds only go about 18 inches into the rubber and actually stay pretty much intact.

Quite the learning curve and there were many "teachable moments" that we will incorporate when we work on the other berms. C'mon Spring 2021

Also, there were multiple contractors as well as many members who volunteered their time/materials and vast construction experience to ensure that this project was done in a safe, proper and professional manner. Thank you all for a great team effort.

Jay

Some pictures.

J8158C3.jpg

kGiBfRq.jpg

dNvPW4g.jpg

20MuFCZ.jpg

hgFnW8E.jpg

Below is the Work Party schedule for 2021. Thank you @houdini

We are working on some drainage issues on different sections of the rifle range and the Action Pit which has a blue tarp over one small section for the upcoming winter storm. This should not effect any usage and the test area will be cleared out before the next IDPA match. More results after the storm.

Please remember to shoot from the enclosed shooting stand on the rifle range and from the open shooting stand on the 25 yard rifle range. The 25 yard rifle range is NOT AN ACTION PIT. If you want to get up close and personal with your targets, then the ACTION PIT is where you want to be.

Renewal notices have been mailed. If you have not received yours, contact the Membership Chairman via the web site.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Jay

WORK PARTY DATES 2021

1-17

2-21

3-21

4-18

5-16

6-13

7-18

8-15

9-12

10-17

11-14

12-12

The start time for the Work Party is 08:00. If you want to pick up additional time outside of these hours. Please contact the XO Bill Hardell, contact information on WPRC Officers

Hope everyone a great Christmas and New Years.

Range Status: All ranges are online and functional. Typical New England wintertime cold / melting / refreezing and some mud conditions. Caution when resetting your targets. There is a large blue tarp in the Action Pit that I'm experimenting with to control empty case collection.

I'm moving up the Thursday scheduled 17:00 indoor range cleaning to Wednesday morning at 09:30. Indoor range should be down for about one and half hour or so.

Remember, all membership renewals have been mailed out. If you have not received yours, please contact the membership chairman, Lee Whitney, on the WPRC Officers page.

Here is the most recent message from the President of the club to all members that was copied from the WPRC Website.

URGENT NOTICES

There are NO MONTHLY MEETING until further notice.

I would like to introduce you to LaKasha Robbins who will be taking over as Treasurer for the Club. Tricia Dumas had to step down because she was not having enough time to keep up with the work load. Tricia did an awesome job as Treasurer and she will still help the Club as time allows her. We all owe her our thanks and gratitude for her hard work.

Because our Annual Business meeting cannot be held in January 2021. All officers of the Club will remain in their current positions until such time when we are allowed to meet again.

THE OUTDOOR RIFLE RANGE IS OPEN. ALL IMPACT AREA’S AVAILABLE FOR USE. USE ONLY THE TARGET STANDS THAT ARE ON THE 100 YARD IMPACT AREA.
DO NOT SHOOT AT THE WOODEN WALL BELOW THE TARGET STANDS. NO CROSS LANE SHOOTING. READ INSTRUCTION IN THE RIFLE RANGE SHOOTING STAND FIRST BEFORE SHOOTING OR PLACING TARGETS.

DUE TO COVID-19 THERE
WILL BE RESTRICTION THAT WILL NEED TO BE FOLLOWED: PLEASE READ ALL POSTED SIGNAGE

INDOOR RANGE WILL BE RESTRICTED TO LANES 1, 3, AND 5
. FACE MASK’S MUST BE WORN IF YOU ARE INDOORS

THE NEW RIFLE RANGE SHOOTING STAND MUST HAVE ALL THE DOORS OPEN AND ONLY 1 SHOOTER PER TABLE.
WHEN ARE DONE SHOOTING, CLOSE ALL THE DOORS IF NO ONE ELSE IS SHOOTING.

THE ACTION PISTOL RANGE WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 2 SHOOTERS.

THE PISTOL RANGE HAS DUCT TAPE ON THE BENCH TO DESIGNATE A SHOOTING POSITION.

IF THE RANGES ARE FULL, REMAIN IN YOUR CAR UNTIL THERE IS AN OPENING TO SHOOT.

ALL MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO HAVE A MASK, GLOVE’S AND DISINFECTANT WIPES/HAND SANITIZER.

MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING

THERE WILL BE COVID-19 PROTOCOLS LISTED OUTSIDE AND INSIDE.

IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME

STAY SAFE AND STAY VIGILANT

Albert F. Bonofiglio, Jr., President

Questions, Concerns, or Conundrums? Let me know.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom