• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester National Guardsman Ruben Ramos admits being straw gun buyer, stealing handgun from Guard

Reptile

NES Member
A Worcester postal worker and member of the National Guard has admitted to lying to gun dealers, acting as a straw gun buyer and stealing a pistol from a Guard facility, federal authorities said.

Ruben Ramos, 24, pleaded guilty on Monday to two counts of making false statements during the purchase of a firearm, five counts of making false statements in records required to be maintained by a federal firearm dealer, and one count of possession of a stolen firearm, the Office of U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said in a statement.

Worcester National Guardsman Ruben Ramos admits being straw gun buyer, stealing handgun from Guard facility

"As police continued their investigation of Ramos, they also noted his brother is a known gang member.

Ramos said his brother and other gang members never asked him to buy weapons for them and never asked to borrow one of his guns... "

Hmm, the CO and armorer of the NG Company must have gotten fried. How does a pistol go unaccounted for? We had to do 100% accountability on all sensitive items before we were allowed to be dismissed if the arms room was even opened.

Hmm, the CO and armorer of the NG Company must have gotten fried. How does a pistol go unaccounted for? We had to do 100% accountability on all sensitive items before we were allowed to be dismissed if the arms room was even opened.
The commander most likely lost his command and his career over that.

I know a company commander that lost his command for his supply section losing 5 rounds of 9mm ammo. It was an mp unit that responded to the Springfield tornado years ago. His unit was issued side arms and ammo for anti looting patrols. When his unit supply section turned in their ammo it was inventoried by headstamp....each round inspected and the ammo warehouse checks the headstamp to be sure it was the same ammo issued. There were 5 federal brand civilian market 9mm rounds in the batch they turned in. the investigation revealed that the supply
Sgt came up short......went home and grabbed 5 rounds from his personal stuff at his house and turned it in. Commander admitted he knew about the supply Sgt getting 5 rounds from his house

Supply Sgt and commander were relieved.

Anytime ammo is issued to a unit for use in a disaster response the ammo must be accounted for round for round by headstamp. Any missing ammo requires an incident report as to why it was fired or the unit has to do a shake down inspection of all soldiers assigned to the unit to recover the ammo. They tried to be shady......and lost their careers over it

Last edited:
Google how many rounds Maryland can’t find after calling the Guard up during the Freddy Gray trial.

1500 rounds they issued that they did not get back. Don’t know where they went.
That's f***ed up.

Ammo issued for range training is a looser reg. Just turn in what you didn't use.

Ammo issued to soldiers for use in an emergency response needs to be accounted for 100% by headstamp.

I worked in the uspfo office for a few years.

"As police continued their investigation of Ramos, they also noted his brother is a known gang member.

Ramos said his brother and other gang members never asked him to buy weapons for them and never asked to borrow one of his guns... "

Of course he said that, he wants to live through his prison sentence.

That's f***ed up.

Ammo issued for range training is a looser reg. Just turn in what you didn't use.

Ammo issued to soldiers for use in an emergency response needs to be accounted for 100% by headstamp.

I worked in the uspfo office for a few years.
I used to run Hotel Range(M60, M249, M240B) at Devens for the 104th INF. and when you cracked a case of ammo you couldn't turn it back in, fire it up boys. When we deployed to NOLA for Katrina, thanks to Mittens Romney, we were handed 4 30rd mags of ammo and when we were relieved we just handed it back in. Don't even know who issued the ammo to us. Supply SGT. took care of it.

I used to run Hotel Range(M60, M249, M240B) at Devens for the 104th INF. and when you cracked a case of ammo you couldn't turn it back in, fire it up boys. When we deployed to NOLA for Katrina, thanks to Mittens Romney, we were handed 4 30rd mags of ammo and when we were relieved we just handed it back in. Don't even know who issued the ammo to us. Supply SGT. took care of it.
I was in 104th from 1989 to about 1996.

The issue with the ammo from the Springfield tornado response and that unit wasnt necessarily that they lost 5 rounds......it's that they wanted to avoid the shakedown inspection to try to find the 5 rounds and tried to cover it up with adding civ market ammo.

When I was at the PI rifle range during boot, a piece of spent 5.56 brass went unaccounted for. Range got locked down. No entry or exit until it was recovered.

The issue with the ammo from the Springfield tornado response and that unit wasnt necessarily that they lost 5 rounds......it's that they wanted to avoid the shakedown inspection to try to find the 5 rounds and tried to cover it up with adding civ market ammo.

How bad would the shakedown have been that it seemed like a better idea to just replace the lost ammo quietly?

How do headstamps differ from civilian and military rounds? Do police get different headstamps? Federal agents in the various bureaus, etc.?

How bad would the shakedown have been that it seemed like a better idea to just replace the lost ammo quietly?
Nobody can be released to go home. Every soldier in the unit has to bring all their gear to a formation and dump everything......senior leaders (platoon sergeant and platoon leaders) have to go through everyone's crap while the commander and 1sg supervise. Also all wall lockers desks and storage areas can be searched as well.

Could take a couple hours. It holds everyone up from going home. If the item missing is not found after the shakedown
its startsa flipl (financial liability investigation of property loss) which can negatively effect the senior leaders careers.

They chose to avoid the shakedown and sneak in civilian ammo which displayed a lack of integrity

Nobody can be released to go home. Every soldier in the unit has to bring all their gear to a formation and dump everything......senior leaders (platoon sergeant and platoon leaders) have to go through everyone's crap. Could take a couple hours. It holds everyone up from going home. If the item missing is not found then it starts a flipl (financial liability investigation of property loss) which can negatively effect the senior leaders careers.

They chose to avoid the shakedown and sneak in civilian ammo which displayed a lack of integrity

Yeah, I can see how a supply sgt would look at that and then go "f*** this, I've got 5 rounds of 9mm I can replace it with." Especially if they don't know that someone's going to actually do a head stamp comparison of every round. Talk about shitty jobs, too. That's like sorting the range brass for scrap.

Yeah, I can see how a supply sgt would look at that and then go "f*** this, I've got 5 rounds of 9mm I can replace it with." Especially if they don't know that someone's going to actually do a head stamp comparison of every round. Talk about shitty jobs, too. That's like sorting the range brass for scrap.
They didn't know that the asp (ammo supply point) was going to check headstamp. The civilian rounds were discovered after turn in which started the investigation as to how the civ ammo got in there.

I think I arrived in 1996, Bravo Co. in Greenfield, 1SGT Marsh. When we were rotating out of Bosnia in 2002 the Platoon SGT. for the 29ID checked every round for headstamp, it took forever. I was a PFC. and we were the last squad to go thru the Squad live fire range at the end of the day. Range NCO's were just throwing loaded 30rd mags at us and told us not to come back with any ammo. We were stuffing them in cargo pockets, mag pouches,etc. When we got thru we did the whole "no brass, no ammo SGT." to clear the range and when we got back to out bivouac area I found a loaded 30rd mag in my cargo pocket. Scared shitless I went to my SQD.LDR who flipped out and told me to bury it. HA!HA!, it's probably still there.

Last edited:
How do headstamps differ from civilian and military rounds? Do police get different headstamps? Federal agents in the various bureaus, etc.?

Different makers use different stamps. Whatever the majority of rounds were was different from the ammo it replaced. IIRC, isn’t the year stamped in too?

When I was clearing Afghanistan, I forgot I had an extra round (picked it up from an Army unit that had extra lopsided and used it to top my M9 off at 16. I didn’t even try to explain that, I just palmed it and disposed of it expeditiously.

Back
Top Bottom