• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester LTC

I live in Worcester and I'm applying this week for my LTC. I've read many threads stating how difficult Chief Gemme is. I already took my safety course, I have two photos and I have two letters of recommendation from cops. I am applying for a Class A unrestricted. My question is, what should I put for a reason? Should I write that I'm a paramedic working off shift hours, transporting medical equipment (i.e. syringes) in high crime areas. Or should I just put ALP and explain why in my interview if I'm asked? Thanks.

Last edited:
Should I write that I'm a paramedic in Boston working off shift hours, transporting medical equipment (i.e. syringes) in high crime areas.
I believe paramedics in Boston are prohibited from being armed on the job as a condition of employment. Just consider what your response will be when Gemme asks for a letter from your employer stating you are authorized to be armed on the job.

You should put "for all lawfull purposes" and nothing else. Regardless he will still put range and hunting only restrictions on your LTC at least until you renew in six years

I believe paramedics in Boston are prohibited from being armed on the job as a condition of employment. Just consider what your response will be when Gemme asks for a letter from your employer stating you are authorized to be armed on the job.

Of course we can't carry on the job. I would only carry to and from work

You should put "for all lawfull purposes" and nothing else. Regardless he will still put range and hunting only restrictions on your LTC at least until you renew in six years

he odes issue "Restrictions: Personal Protection" once in a while.

The fact that Gemme wants to make laws about knives makes me think you are better moving out of Worcester and THEn applying for your LTC (unless that is out of the question)

Of course we can't carry on the job. I would only carry to and from work

One question, you plan to carry and from work, what are you going to do with the firearm in the mean time? Just curious.

My sister also applied in Worcester and is still waiting. I believe her reason was All Lawful Purposes, she also had 2 letters of recommendations from police officers who are also soldiers and she is also a veteran.

Im not sure any of that will help her or make a difference.

Good Luck to you!!

No offense intended but once again this is an example of going to a forum and soliciting opinion from a bunch of laypersons who don't necessarily live in Worcester. The value of free advice is frequently (not always) worth the price you pay: nothing.

A better approach might be to contact one of the attorneys who specialize in firearms law on these boards, spend the money and seek their advice on how to best present your case for an unrestricted license in Worcester. It is what these gentlemen do for a living. Leaving something as important as getting a license so you can carry a firearm that may be instrumental in saving your life one day certainly more than justifies spending the money.

I suggest you PM or otherwise contact either Jesse Cohen, Scrivner, or Cross-X. I'm sure that each can give you competent advice for a reasonable price.

Mark L.

No offense intended but once again this is an example of going to a forum and soliciting opinion from a bunch of laypersons who don't necessarily live in Worcester. The value of free advice is frequently (not always) worth the price you pay: nothing.

Ahh, popycock! Gemme is going to give him a ALP or he isn't. I doubt there is much an applicant can do about that since personal circumstances largely determine the outcome. I bet a lawyer could craft the most elegant letter since Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation and it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

Sounds to me like Gemme basically just wants to give ALP permits to people who have genuine threats against them or business owners or employees with a "justifiable need" a la Boston.

I live in Worcester and have had my LTC for along time i knew gemme before he was the chief he is an a--hole you will need a good reason to get a LTC for personal protection

my wife and i both have LTC personal protection because i took some gang bangers to court after court
hearing my house was shot at (main south)

because the wpd has no balls

(t&g 1/1996) shooting in NEWS PAPER

i was told by the WPD that most all new LTC are for T/H so i would call one of the lawyers on here

Last edited:
I live in Worcester and have had my TLC for along time i knew gemme before he was the chief he is an a--hole you will need a good reason to get a TLC for personal protection
my wife and i both have TLC personal protection because i took some gang bangers to
court because the wpd has no balls (t&g 1/1996) i was told by the WPD that most all
new TLC are for T/H so i would call one of the lawyers on here

Huh? Can someone translate this for me?[thinking]

I live in Worcester and have had my TLC for along time i knew gemme before he was the chief he is an a--hole you will need a good reason to get a TLC for personal protection

my wife and i both have TLC personal protection because i took some gang bangers to court after court
hearing my house was shot at (main south)

i was told by the WPD that most all new TLC are for T/H so i would call one of the lawyers on here

I'll bite - what is this "TLC" you are on about? Sounds like a hand lotion. [rolleyes]

Just tell him the truth about yourself.

You want to do some target shooting and eventually would like to compete.

You plan to take up hunting in the future.

Tell him what your occupation is, the hours you work, and you want it for personal protection.

Upon arriving at your workplace:
You will lock it in the trunk of your vehicle, unloaded, in a locked box. The ammo will be stored in a locked box inside the vehicle, which will be placed in the (Glove Box)

And if this is your first application, you will walk out of there with a LTC A Restricted to Target Shooting and Hunting, or a Unrestricted LTC A.

One of course is better than the other, but either way you can own and shoot firearms, and protect yourself in your household.

A lot of us started out with restrictions or had restrictions placed on us, we didn't like it, but that's the way its done in this wonderful state we live in[frown]

Of course Good Luck.

Ahh, popycock! Gemme is going to give him a ALP or he isn't. I doubt there is much an applicant can do about that since personal circumstances largely determine the outcome. I bet a lawyer could craft the most elegant letter since Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation and it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

Sounds as if you are opinionated. When I have a problem where a professional can give advice I seek out that advice...obviously, however, you are an expert and I bow to your superior wisdom.

I guess I have been listening to the likes of Jesse Cohen, Scrivner, Cross X (all attorneys) and Len S, and Dr. Grant (knowledgable laypersons about firearms law in Mass) too long and defer to your superior judgement and qualifications.

You may wish to cultivate a more civil tone now that you are the new gun law/gun licensing guru on these boards.

Mark L.

As we all know, MA is not a shall issue state, some towns will issue certain licenses and others will not.

We all have read the MGL's and have a general idea as to their meaning.

Many will post if you live in a RED town, it is unlikely you will receive A LTC A unrestricted. My experience says this is untrue, as I know many that have, Quincy, Chelsea and Salem. Check some of the threads posted on this forum.

Even with legal counsel I believe the applicant will have problems in towns like Brookline, Cambridge and Boston.

Nobody is arguing how fair the system is, but I must say "When it comes to MA Gun Laws" there are no experts.

Nobody is arguing how fair the system is, but I must say "When it comes to MA Gun Laws" there are no experts.

I think that is a reasonably fair assessment of the situation, but I also believe that there is informed opinion based on experience and knowledge and I do think that there are a few who can provide greater insight than many others.

Respectfully,

Mark L.

I think that is a reasonably fair assessment of the situation, but I also believe that there is informed opinion based on experience and knowledge and I do think that there are a few who can provide greater insight than many others.

Respectfully,

Mark L.

Mark, I totally agree.

Sounds as if you are opinionated. When I have a problem where a professional can give advice I seek out that advice...obviously, however, you are an expert and I bow to your superior wisdom.

I guess I have been listening to the likes of Jesse Cohen, Scrivner, Cross X (all attorneys) and Len S, and Dr. Grant (knowledgable laypersons about firearms law in Mass) too long and defer to your superior judgement and qualifications.

You may wish to cultivate a more civil tone now that you are the new gun law/gun licensing guru on these boards.

Mark L.

If by opinionated, you mean that I have an opinion on this topic, then yes.

Mark, the point is that these people are certainly experts in the law. But they cannot change Gemme's mind or his policies. From my perspective, you have no legal right to a class A license, let alone an ALP permit under existing MA law. So involving a lawyer seems rather futile at the application stage, unless you fall into one of the typical CCW categories (business owner, armored car driver, etc). Certainly they can tell you what to say or what not to say, but that more or less boils down to some strategy and some common sense. Other people on the board do a pretty good job of summarizing how to write the application letter and provide references. I don't think its rocket science.

But I could be wrong, what can a firearms lawyer do in Mass that can get the typical person a ALP permit in the Boston or Worchester area? Must be some kind of magic.

On the other hand, if you have a genuine criminal or civil case for which you are being prosecuted, or were denied a permit outright, then I clearly see the need for a firearms lawyer.

Last edited:
Murf,

If this is your first application, chances are Gemme is going to put a restriction on your LTC, regardless of what you put down for your reason (e.g. ALP). That's just the way Worcester is. Only exceptions are for business owners, and even that's not guaranteed. I've seen "personal protection" restrictions on the LTC of 2 retail business owners.

Gemme's still building his empire in Worcester. He's not going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom