WOOT Deal Today on Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band HT - Stupid Cheap!

There is a reason why they are selling so cheep. No one wants them. If they had any value they would not be selling at fire sale pricing. I purchased one for $22.00 free shipping it is still in the box.

Actually, with the dual watch, I use one to receive my town fire & police; still not digital or encrypted. I use my TRX-1 scanner for surrounding towns, but for when I just want local, works great for the price.

I mean, these are only $24 on amazon prime. So it is a deal, it's not like OMG let me get my wallet good.

5 is excessive, but I think everyone should have 2 of these similarly programed in a box in the garage/basement.

There is a reason why they are selling so cheep. No one wants them. If they had any value they would not be selling at fire sale pricing. I purchased one for $22.00 free shipping it is still in the box.

Thats not the case at all. Lots of people have uses for them, and if you happen to lose one off a tractor or a 4 wheeler out in the woods, you're out $20 bucks as opposed to losing a 3-400 dollar yaesu, kenwood, icom or motorola handie talkie.

I have almost a hundred wooded acres here and any visitors who go walking or hunting in the woods gets a radio to carry with them. If one is lost one( and I have) I won't even go looking for it, I unbox another in its place. The sting of losing a $300 portable lasts a long time.

They are the most bang for the buck you can get in a portable radio. Field programmable, dual band, 4 watt output, 128 channel programmable, pl tones, digital pl tones, light, fm broadcast, alert signalling, high ma hour batteries available, ear bud/mic, charger, cloning ability.

People said that same thing about Wolf ammo years ago.....yet they continue to sell every round that hits our shores.

Well, I bought them anyway. I really only need 2-3, but for $100 how wrong can I go? The only downside is that I have go get a HAM license to be legit. I didn't really want to get another hobby, but.....

Eh, I spent a ton of money on radios when I first got into it because I had a bunch of friends that were all like "chyea bruh, we'll totally get into it with you! Comms checks, communication schedules, everything!"

Well I'm still the only one that has my license, everyone else lost interest, and only turn my radios on if their is a local drill, bad weather/power outage, or I'm stuck in traffic.

I guess this is why they wanted to get rid of them:

§95.1791 Sales of GMRS/FRS combination radios prohibited.
(a) Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall be permitted to manufacture or import, sell or offer for sale any radio equipment capable of operating under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B (FRS) of this chapter.

If you can find one that transmits within spec on 144.39 MHz, a UV-5R can be good for mobile APRS or a digipeater when combined with a Pi.

i think something was up with FCC certs for these asian made radios - losing cert or something - i forget

The UV-82 was my first radio after getting licensed. A great inexpensive way to get on the air and hear what is going on around you.

Are they the top quality radios you'd get from Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood? Nope...but it works well and is a great value for the price. I'm surprised that Trump's FCC hasn't cracked down on these things yet.

1. They can transmit outside the ham bands.
2. They generate intermod and don't have the cleanest signal
3. Preppers use them :)

I guess this is why they wanted to get rid of them:
(a) Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall be permitted to manufacture or import, sell or offer for sale any radio equipment capable of operating under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B (FRS) of this chapter.

All the MORE reason to have a bunch of them on hand now.

The FCC created the problem by shoe horning channels in between already established channels. Its all about MONEY.

The FCC can stuff their regulation.

Out of the box?
Or after making modifications not part of the FCC-inspected manufacturer's documentation?

I was always under the impression that the BaofengPuxingWoxunShitcrap radios pretty much did everything out of the box....

-Mike

All the MORE reason to have a bunch of them on hand now.

The FCC created the problem by shoe horning channels in between already established channels. Its all about MONEY.

The FCC can stuff their regulation.

I think those things are junk but I agree with this sentiment. Because it applies to way more than just puxingwoxunbaofengshitcom, but a whole bunch of
other cool imports as well.

They can flap their arms all they want, the worst thing it will do is slightly increase the cost of the radio when people just import them themselves from
china... and CBP isn't going to cracking open every box with a radio in it to check it for "compliance".

FCC regs on this stuff, and on CB equipment and amps, are basically a joke, like Maura Healeys CMR940 garbage, although even more commonly ignored.

Reminds me of back when the f***ing CTIA demanded that the FCC demand for all US scanners to be intentionally f***ed up to have cellular frequencies
cut out/blocked in scanners. Everyone just started buying scanners from the UK (eg, like Javiation) or other countries.

ETA: I don't think that reg you cited is fully the reason, but rather that most of those things probably aren't even type accepted for anything, nevermind GMRS or FRS...

-Mike

Eh, I spent a ton of money on radios when I first got into it because I had a bunch of friends that were all like "chyea bruh, we'll totally get into it with you! Comms checks, communication schedules, everything!"

Well I'm still the only one that has my license, everyone else lost interest, and only turn my radios on if their is a local drill, bad weather/power outage, or I'm stuck in traffic.

Part of the problem is most people overload their life with jobs, stuff, broads, etc, and that ends up ruining playing with radio stuff.. [rofl] Hell I just got out of an almost 10 year radio hiatus because of a broad.

In the old days it was another diversion now people laze out and go on faceplant or youtube or something, or play some stupid cell phone game, etc.

-Mike

I was always under the impression that the BaofengPuxingWoxunShitcrap radios pretty much did everything out of the box....
Damn those ChiComs have balls.

They can flap their arms all they want, the worst thing it will do is slightly increase the cost of the radio when people just import them themselves from
china... and CBP isn't going to cracking open every box with a radio in it to check it for "compliance".
Reminds me of back when the f***ing CTIA demanded that the FCC demand for all US scanners to be intentionally f***ed up to have cellular frequencies
cut out/blocked in scanners. Everyone just started buying scanners from the UK (eg, like Javiation) or other countries.

My first rig was a pair of Japanese-zoned VX-1R's purchased by my Elmer for me from a Tokyo ham radio store on the Akihabara during a business trip. Turns out it only supported half the 2m band, and that's not something that could be fixed by solder jumpers. On the other hand, it wasn't cell blocked, which leads us to the first EMail from me that Howie ever read on the air:
Subject: Eavesdropping on cell phones​
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:48:03 -0500​
To: Howie Carr​
You got that right.​
I used to have a Japanese radio that could receive the old analog cell phone band. I bothered to listen for cell calls twice.​
Both times I heard calls between young women, having conversations so incredibly vapid that I actually turned off the radio and put it away.​
/AHM​

CkYqlHXUkAIFKQm.jpg

Part of the problem is most people overload their life with jobs, stuff, broads, etc, and that ends up ruining playing with radio stuff.. [rofl] Hell I just got out of an almost 10 year radio hiatus because of a broad.
FB!
72465c58d3797cc0b4e244243e9cedf7.jpg

Last edited:
I have a UV5R dual band (2m and 70cm). The one thing I don't like about it is the battery only lasted about a year, so now it sits unused in the corner of my office. They're cheap, they do work when they work and they are super easy to program with chirp, but the accessories that come with it (mic, heapdphones, etc) are literally just junk. Throw them away and buy something good. By the time you're all said and done you could have bought a more expensive HT and would be happier since it will work.

I have a UV5R dual band (2m and 70cm). The one thing I don't like about it is the battery only lasted about a year, so now it sits unused in the corner of my office.
Best battery performance I ever got from the LiON in my Yaesu VX-5R
was when it was my primary rig, dangling from the rear-view mirror,
(driving a mag-mount), and plumbed to a charger in the cigarette lighter.

It was getting topped-off whenever I started the car.

Last edited:

I still want to do it. That old Ham and tactitard thread hasn’t been lost on me. But it’s hard to justify the expense of I’m the only one in my group interested.

Back
Top Bottom