WOOT Deal Today on Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band HT - Stupid Cheap!

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence my qualification of “at the beginning at least”, because the actual best way to learn involves hands-on experience, which is a lot harder to do without a license in hand.

Bonus points for Harbor Freight DVM.

True enough, but for many the learning comes from doing and getting excited about the topic. And if they lose the interest the theory doesn't really matter anymore.
Ya know, I'd love to hear the "ultimately never Pushes To Talk" rate for each book, online drill site, and class.

Honestly though using the test regimen to learn stuff beyond basics (like band allocations, basic rules, etc) is a waste of time, I tell people to pass and then invest time in learning what suits their needs.
And yet for each of those License Manuals,
I learned 1-2 things I'd wondered about for decades,
and had never seen explained anywhere else before (or since).

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
And yet for each of those License Manuals,
I learned 1-2 things I'd wondered about for decades,
and had never seen explained anywhere else before (or since).
That’s why those manuals still make good reference books.... [laugh] I just think camping with the manual "to get in the door" is like the "unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism" way of getting a license. [laugh] I did it that way once, with one of those little gordon west books, which worked pretty well. (mainly because he tends to keep the verbiage short ) Then one of my close friends that got into ham radio, a couple years later, there was someone (texas A&M?) that had an online test generator. I got my friend set up with that and he just started grinding, a few weeks later he went to a session and got the ticket.

-Mike

Reactions: AHM

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know English or even American English isn’t their native language, but good grief!
The Baofeng UV-5R manual is the Magic Egg of technical documentation.
ETA: Not that I could do in a Chinese language what they do in English.

Top Bottom