Woonsocket RI Pistol Permit Yearly Qualification

If there are any Woonsocket RI permit holders could you please answer this question for me?

I received my permit in Dec 2015. As far as I understand in Woonsocket we have to qualify every year. Do we just bring them our targets along with a copy of the qualifying NRA instructors certification card? Or do we have to go get a special form from the police department?

Thank you in advance.

From 11-47-11:
.. issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue..
I know some towns require annual qualification according to the instructions that comes with the application, but what is the expiration on the actual permit?

The permit expires Dec 2019

Then per state law 11-47-12 each permit is valid for (4) years and according to 11-47-15 a qualification is required beforeyou receive the permit, not after.

Also per 11-47-58 (state pre-preemption law) essentially what is imposed "extra" by the towns is moot. While I know some people will comment that they do it anyways, we are winning back rights, one town at a time.

Worst case scenario, the permit would be revoked on tumped up "suitability" claims however recently the courts have come down quite cut and dry regarding statuary law and what is permitted and what isn't and since what they are describing isn't in state statues, it wouldn't hold much water.

On a side note, Marcello who is the town solicitor is also a state rep and he voted in favor of H7390 (CCW Bill). Perhaps call him in that capacity and have a talk about towns that have non statuary requirements and see where he stands on it (without revealing your actual question).

Cossack,
Was your current permit issued by Woonsocket? The reason I’m asking is that due to my own experience with WPD last December, my perception is that Chief Carey (now retired) was discouraging applications.

Last December, I stopped by WPD and inquired about obtaining a permit and the officer I spoke with politely explained to me that they were not accepting applications because Chief Carey was about to retire and they wanted to pend applications until a new chief was named. It was also suggested that if I didn’t want to wait, I could apply via the Attorney General office.

At the time, that excuse seemed reasonable to me and it was only later on, as I learned more about the process, that I realized that they were using a partial truth (the chief was retiring) to avoid their obligation to provide and process a permit application.

Ultimately, I did end up acquiring a permit from the AG, but during the process I heard of another Woonsocket resident who was also dissuaded in a similar fashion by WPD just a couple of years before my experience. According to this other individual, he was told that due to the city’s financial problems (Woonsocket was either in or close to being in receivership at the time – the partial truth) they weren’t accepting applications.

Whether or not this pattern of discouragement was Chief Carey’s idea or the mayor’s (Fontaine or Baldelli-Hunt), I do not know. What I do know is that Woonsocket has a new Chief, Commander Oates, who previously held the position of Deputy Chief for the city of Providence. Under the new chief, I’m curious to know if WPD will continue to obfuscate or perhaps change course and allow the permit process to work as written under 11-47-11.

As to some sort of annual qualification to keep the permit valid/active, that seems unusual. It occurs to me that if your permit expiration date is 2019 and there are no conditions printed on the permit, then you’re good to go until 2019.

Let us know what happens if you inquire with the city or PD.

Just received my permit from Woonsocket PD this week. It took a little over 2 months to get it. It took me about 3 tries before they would give me a application. I heard the same thing, budget commission, no chief and when I heard they had a new Chief I went in and got one. The LT. that did my permit said that I did have to send in the qualifying paper every year { I asked him }. I think the new Chief is OK with issuing permits, I was one of 3 that day. They were really nice about it.

Just received my permit from Woonsocket PD this week. It took a little over 2 months to get it. It took me about 3 tries before they would give me a application. I heard the same thing, budget commission, no chief and when I heard they had a new Chief I went in and got one. The LT. that did my permit said that I did have to send in the qualifying paper every year { I asked him }. I think the new Chief is OK with issuing permits, I was one of 3 that day. They were really nice about it.

Are you a RI resident or is this a non-resident permit?

Well done!

Harry

I live in Woonsocket.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I cannot get the Woonsocket PD to give me an application. Ive got the "we have no chief" comment, and my favorite is "we don't have any, but you can download the AG application, it's the same one we use" and they even told me that the state might pass an AG only law so they wanted to wait. I'm not even playing that game with them.
Maybe it's time the PD is sued again. Something needs to be done about the PD's ignoring laws they don't like.

dhuze, was this recently? Sounds like they are finally issuing so you should be able to get an application. I know I have gotten an application from them in the past.

Back
Top Bottom