• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woodcock Rd. Gun Range

Knob Creek

NES Member
Hear something on local talk radio that the Woodcock Gun range in Dartmouth but owned by New Bedford is being given over to a land preservation group that plans a walking trail down range. Anyone have any info on this?

Land preservation groups ruin everything. They buy or are given land people can’t afford for a tax break, and the deed is effectively burned. Never to be sold or used again, it cannot benefit the general population in any way besides a place to walk, MAYBE, that few ever use. I live within walking distance of over a dozen separate land preserve/land trust areas. I’ve never once seen one with a full parking lot. Can’t become housing, that’s becoming more and more scarce, can’t become a park, a store or restaurant, or anything worthwhile. They aren’t particularly scenic or even well managed. Someone roped off a section of the same exact woods in my backyard and said “this is special”.

With all the money making on memberships and the Police side makes a ton of revenue as well it ain't going anywhere.

Just spoke with someone today from NB PD that has working knowledge of woodcock range. I was told to spread the work that it is not closing and changes are coming. He explained the changes and I am not exactly sure if these have been made public yet so I won't go into detail but I can state that the 2 things that people hated about the club are changing. And the the club is not going to be closed down to the public at all.

2 things I know people disliked about it that are changing...

1. If no volunteer showed up to open the club then members has no access. Changing.
2. The no guest policy. Changing

I won't go into specifics but think about the majority of clubs you belong to and how they run...that is how this will run now.

I will gladly go back there and shoot again after a long absence because of how things operated before after hearing what is in the works today.

Just spoke with someone today from NB PD that has working knowledge of woodcock range. I was told to spread the work that it is not closing and changes are coming. He explained the changes and I am not exactly sure if these have been made public yet so I won't go into detail but I can state that the 2 things that people hated about the club are changing. And the the club is not going to be closed down to the public at all.

2 things I know people disliked about it that are changing...

1. If no volunteer showed up to open the club then members has no access. Changing.
2. The no guest policy. Changing

I won't go into specifics but think about the majority of clubs you belong to and how they run...that is how this will run now.

I will gladly go back there and shoot again after a long absence because of how things operated before after hearing what is in the works today.
Its a step in the right direction. One of the other things i hated about the range was the hours. I believe it was 4pm on the weekends.

A couple of things I feel comfortable mentioning also is that they are looking to pave the back parking lot and do range improvements to all ranges including new overhead covering on the long range. I think there will be a huge improvement in the "atmosphere" there as well for the members when using the range. This could be a nice thing for local shooting community.

Lots more at the link below:

What happens to the gun range?​

Of the 157 acres at the Woodcock Road site, approximately 70 acres is being used as a firing range for the police department. The conveyance will allow the gun range to still operate as such, according to the bill, but the site will be supervised by the Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust.

In the event the rifle range ceases to be used as a rifle range at any time, the land subject to the conservation restriction shall be open to the public for passive recreation, the bill states.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8HDDKe49Y4&t=7s

Last post was 2022 and, The range is still alive and well some things have changed like a late fee penalty. My girl wanted to get signed up to shoot being from another town her fee was $190 wile my renewal was $80. Still not bad for what it is, they also reinstated the guest policy that they did away with due to people taking advantage of. Did some training with my girl she did good got it all on the target with her EZ shield .380 getting a better group we need some work on that. Its been a wile for me but I still got it I still cant believe they discontinued my pistol..

Back
Top Bottom