• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wood Stocks And Humidity - What Is A Good Range?

I never really worried about it before, but a year or so ago, I put an electronic humidity/temperature gauge in my safe that is in the house. It has been kind of obscured by stuff, so I've only occasionally noticed the reading at that particular time I opened it up. I took a bunch of guns out to the range today and then noticed it also records a low and a high. The humidity range is 27-59% and the temperature is 64-82 deg. I'm sure the temp range is fine, but are the extreme low and high for the humidity anything to be concerned with? I appreciate your replies,

The humidity range is 27-59% and the temperature is 64-82 deg. I'm sure the temp range is fine, but are the extreme low and high for the humidity anything to be concerned with?
That humidity range isn't large at all. In fact, it's narrower than you would expect, likely moderating itself because the door is closed. My company designs clean rooms for pharmaceutical and electronic uses, and the requested controlled humidity ranges typically end up being between 30% (winter zone, requiring humidification) and 60% (summer zone, requiring humidification).

Last edited:
You can’t separate temperature and humidity and get the whole picture concerning the moisture content of the air. 82F/59%RH is different than 82F/27%RH.

You can’t separate temperature and humidity and get the whole picture concerning the moisture content of the air. 82F/59%RH is different than 82F/27%RH.

You are probably correct, but I am just trying to get an idea of an acceptable range within which wood rifle stocks can live happily without swelling, warping, drying out or cracking. To date, I have not had any problems, I'm just curious, so asking the question.

I can't help with the temp/humidity ranges, but I've used Goldenrods in all my gun safes for years and have had no problems with wood warping or rust.

"Warms Gun Safe Air To Eliminate Moisture & Corrosion
Designed to handle the worst kinds of humidity problems to give your gun safe, locker or cabinet the perfect environment for storing valuable firearms. GoldenRod dehumidifiers use a sealed, electric element to safely heat to a surface temperature of less than 150°F (almost too warm to hold); air inside the enclosure stays slightly warmer than the ambient, outside temperature. Expansion of the heated air drives out rust-causing moisture and circulates warm, dry air throughout the storage area. Mount GoldenRod horizontally at the bottom of the enclosure using the provided universal mounting brackets, plug it in, and forget about it. There’s nothing to empty, refill, or bake dry. Your firearms are continuously protected from rust and mildew. Select from 12", 18", 24" and 36" long models. The longest unit that fits horizontally is recommended. GoldenRod cannot overdry an area."

LOCKDOWN SAFE & SECURITY ACC. GOLDENROD DEHUMIDIFIER | Brownells

I can't help with the temp/humidity ranges, but I've used Goldenrods in all my gun safes for years and have had no problems with wood warping or rust.

"Warms Gun Safe Air To Eliminate Moisture & Corrosion
Designed to handle the worst kinds of humidity problems to give your gun safe, locker or cabinet the perfect environment for storing valuable firearms. GoldenRod dehumidifiers use a sealed, electric element to safely heat to a surface temperature of less than 150°F (almost too warm to hold); air inside the enclosure stays slightly warmer than the ambient, outside temperature. Expansion of the heated air drives out rust-causing moisture and circulates warm, dry air throughout the storage area. Mount GoldenRod horizontally at the bottom of the enclosure using the provided universal mounting brackets, plug it in, and forget about it. There’s nothing to empty, refill, or bake dry. Your firearms are continuously protected from rust and mildew. Select from 12", 18", 24" and 36" long models. The longest unit that fits horizontally is recommended. GoldenRod cannot overdry an area."

LOCKDOWN SAFE & SECURITY ACC. GOLDENROD DEHUMIDIFIER | Brownells

I've been using them since I got my first safe and even when the safe was in the basement, I never had any rust issues. What I'm more
concerned with now is too low humidity drying out the wood, that lowest 27% reading just seems really low to me.

I've been using them since I got my first safe and even when the safe was in the basement, I never had any rust issues. What I'm more
concerned with now is too low humidity drying out the wood, that lowest 27% reading just seems really low to me.
See JRLB's post about how humidity and temperature are related.

As an example, let's say you open your safe on a fine 68 degree day with 50% relative humidity and leave it open for a few hours so that the safe and everything inside it are at the same 68 degree temperature. Then, you close it up. Let's assume the safe is airtight. The next day, you leave on a 10 day vacation and turn off your AC. While you're away, the temperature rises to 82 degrees and stays there long enough so that the safe and all contents are at the same 82 degrees. That 50% RH air at 68 degrees is now about 30% RH at 82 degrees. In both cases, the dew point is about 49 degrees, which is comfortable in both cases.

Last edited:
See JRLB's post about how humidity and temperature are related.

As an example, let's say you open your safe on a fine 68 degree day with 50% relative humidity and leave it open for a few hours so that the safe and everything inside it are at the same 68 degree temperature. Then, you close it up. Let's assume the safe is airtight. The next day, you leave on a 10 day vacation and turn off your AC. While you're away, the temperature rises to 82 degrees and stays there long enough so that the safe and all contents are at the same 82 degrees. That 50% RH air at 68 degrees is now about 30% RH at 82 degrees. In both cases, the dew point is about 49 degrees, which is comfortable in both cases.

I think this is what you are referring to; Temperature, Dewpoint, and Relative Humidity Calculator. I understand what this calculation is saying, but I'm still wondering how "dry" does the air have to get before it might start drying out the wood enough to cause problems.

I don't think you can get a hard and fast answer. It's going to depend on the current moisture content of the wood, how it's finished, and the temperature and moisture profile of the safe. That being said, your safe is approximating what you would normally see in a habitable space. Were it mine and assuming that there isn't a heat source within the safe, I wouldn't be worried.

Back
Top Bottom