1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Wood Burning Fireplace Insert Recommendations/Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by additionalmc, Aug 16, 2019.

1. additionalmc

additionalmc NES Member

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a wood burning fireplace insert for existing brick fireplace, would like to be able to boil water on it for cooking in case of power outage.

Anybody have one? Looking for advice on brands, places to buy, and generally what it should cost including install (about 30 foot chimney)

Thanks!

2. pastera

pastera

Hearth.com - Like NES but for wood burning

pepperoni, KBCraig, TLB and 1 other person like this.
  3. FrankNA

FrankNA NES Member

^^This^^

I have a Jotul C550 that I installed back in 2008. Great insert but it's a flush mount so no chance of cooking on top of it. If you lose power that often that you're considering cooking on it, you might want to consider a generator. I can tell you from experience that a generator is one of the best investments you'll ever make if losing power is a frequent occurrence.

My install back then complete, including the insert, SS liner, delivery, cap, etc... was $4,500.00 IIRC... It's probably double that or more by now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    pepperoni and xjma99 like this.
  4. richc

richc NES Member

We have a Harman 52i pellet stove insert and love it. Harman is one of the best.

Bought it on route 9 in Natick but they don't carry Harman any longer. Apparently they carried another line Harman owns and they were only allowed to carry one of them.

Stove Service & Support | Harman Stoves

VetteGirlMA and Roadglide like this.
  5. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Ya, This.

So many options. Make sure the installer puts in a block off plate.

I absolutely love my Jotul Rockland 550 in brown enamel. There was no way I wanted the insert sticking out into the LR.

pastera likes this.
  6. bauer

bauer NES Member

Vermont Castings
    Jotul

7. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Sadly VC=China now.

pepperoni and xjma99 like this.
  8. bauer

bauer NES Member

I was definitely not aware of this and appreciate the info.

[thumbsup]

9. snax

snax NES Member

I like my lopi. Sucks out just enough for a ppt

10. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Something about being poured at the same plant as Consolidated Dutchwest that at one time was also a very good stove. Both are crap now I've heard many times.

There are a lot of good stoves out there but the buyer needs to pay attention and do his own research.

xjma99 likes this.
  11. glostamon

glostamon NES Member

I got the Jøtul C 450 Kennebec going on 5 years and very pleased. It protrudes a few inches past the flush mount so the depth is adjustable for shallow fire boxes & looks classic & heats efficently

12. boatman

boatman

What type of heat do you have now? I ask because I was thinking about adding an insert to the fireplace like you. When I priced it out, I was shocked at how much it cost to install, and then what it would cost to run vs. gas. But we have gas with forced hot water.

If we have a power outage, since I assume gas will still flow, I just hooked up a switch to the furnace breaker that I connect my generator to. The 4 zone circulators take 0.5A each, the furnace just needs to have the igniter and taco box. So my 2k watt generator, which uses 1 gal every 24 hours should keep me going for a week. If we don't have electricity for more than a week, SHTF and it's TEOTW. As for cooking, gas stove still works without electricity. If you have an electric stove, you need more than a tiny generator.

But if you want it for cosmetic, wood burning smell, etc. another story. I have a horrible fireplace, and was figuring if I put in an insert, I at least could get heat out while making it look nice. But the price scared me away.

13. additionalmc

additionalmc NES Member

We have oil now, cost's probably around $1200 during the heating season. I've gotten couple quotes for inserts around $5k - $6k including install, it seemed a bit high, but that's why I was looking for opinions, maybe that's right in line.

14. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My stove was 3500 and the liner 1500 installed IIRC in northern Maine.

If you are not using dry wood at less than 20% MC your wasting your time.

15. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Don't get it to save money, unless you have a source of free dry hardwood.

Stuff's gotten pricey, and good stuff is hard to find.

Last two seasons I used Biobricks or a near substitute, and aside from a learning curve about keeping the bastids dry, I was pleased, as they are more controllable than real tree chunks.

I use my free-standing stove for heat in an otherwise unheated family room, and blizzard smugness. I still went through 2-3 pallets; each pallet has a theoretical heat output of ~1 cord.

16. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

It is sort of a life style and fully outfitted is not cheap. That said it’s better putting up wood than hanging out at bars but don’t quote me on that. I do both.

boiler_eng, Sparkey and xjma99 like this.
  17. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Used to be tons of good stove companies, many formerly good brands have moved production to chi-com region of the planet. Hearth.com is where you want to do some research.

Any type of wood burning appliance will be worlds ahead of an open fireplace in terms of efficiency. I don’t discriminate, I burn all forms of wood, they all have their pluses and minuses. When worrying about power outages, diversifying your heating options is key. (Diversify your bonds, bitch).

Sparkey likes this.
  18. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Burn coal.... If you're looking to have hot even heat.
    1231172048.jpg

xjma99 likes this.
  19. roccoracer

roccoracer NES Member

I put a Pacific stove in my fireplace. It sticks out about 5 inches and heats my house perfectly. I spent about $3k but did all of the work myself. I also live way out in the woods and can get my wood for free.

20. Waher

Waher NES Member

They make our flamewars look like Cub Scout campfires.

And don't even get me started on vacuum cleaner or knitting forums. You might as well stick your hand in a garbage disposal or go for a PHD in astrophysics than try to type a response to some of that footnoted shit.

21. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I've heard that about Hearth. I go to firewoodhoardersclub.com it was started by some former members of hearth.com who got sick of the BS. No politics and keep it family friendly is all they ask.

22. additionalmc

additionalmc NES Member

It's not so much to save money, more for emergencies, we lost power a couple times over the winter and it would have been nice to have another source of heat. We did have the generator running, but it's pretty noisy to leave it running at night.
    saving money would be nice, but I'd really like to have another heat source available in case of power outage. I'm leaning towards the Napoleon brand insert, seems to have good reviews.

23. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Inserts I’m aware of use a fan to get the heat out into the room.
    Not happening with no juice.

Uzi2 likes this.
  24. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

That is my understanding as well

25. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

They heat either way; they're just more efficient with blowers.

I have a Lopi Freedom installed so the cooking surface is exposed. I keep a cast iron kettle on it to put moisture into the air, and it will definitely boil water.

I'm also a fan of Biobricks. Much more even and controllable heat, no spikes, and hardly any cleanup.

26. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

I like my insert. Looking forward to year 2 with it. Will tell you this is the time when everyone starts looking so everything will be in demand and have a wait. Got to look OFF season.

On a separate note, for $85 for a 15 amp transfer switch and $100 to install I was able to get my breaker for my heat set up to have a transfer switch. That plus a generator is WAY cheaper than wood burning.

Just saying don't do it for the "what if" heating, just get an insert if you want one.

xjma99 likes this.
  27. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

The time to look for wood is spring. Right now, you want kiln dried. ‘Seasoned’ is a relative term. Treat firewood like ammo, buy way more than you actually need and stack it deep (or tall).

28. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

My kids are old enough not to screw with it - so watching this thread. People I know with inserts that are worried about power - I tell them to get a UPS, Cyberpower makes simple ones that work well, not nearly as fancy or pricey as APC.

29. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

My details.

Enviro Cabello insert (flush almost) 2984

25-30ft chimney

Install, liner, liner for oil flue, cap, minor waterproofing and repointing. 4000

Cord of seasoned wood bought previous year $325

Wood Bricks last year $615 for 2 pallets of wood bricks.

This year purchases (wood not for this season)

2 cord log length $200

Pallets of Wood Bricks ($300/ pallet + $79 delivery)

Worked on Scrounging firewood, probably yielded a bit over a cord from a few lucky finds but for $100/cord I think I might prefer log load for the convenience. I have a small SUV so somewhat limited on what and how I can pick up wood.

Equipment:
    Maul $30
    Ax $45
    Sledge $30
    Splitting wedges $25
    Plastic Wedges $30
    Chainsaw $550
    Kindling Splitter $55

On the power front:

Transfer Switch currently $76 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-TF151W-Transfer-Generators/dp/B000HRWG8U

Install $100

Generator $1200

Honda 2000i (would have gotten 2200i for discount with forward planning, bought when I had no power so bought at msrp one of the two the dealer was picking up from another dealer that had extra stock)

You don't have to buy a generator but $176 is STUPID cheap to have the switch in. In a pinch you can likely borrow a generator or run a sufficient inverter off your car. One thing you cannot do is easily buy and install electrical equipment.

30. pastera

pastera

My insert's fan only takes 50-150 watts so it can run overnight on a small SLA battery and inverter.