• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Women learning to shoot

One of my friends (in MA) was anti-gun for decades, but kept expressing concerns about the fact that she lived on her own and is pretty isolated. Acknowledged she couldn't overpower a guy if threatened, after we talked through a number of emergency/threat type scenarios.

Since then, she's developed an interest in pistols. Now visits and does target shooting with me, and recently got her LTC.

One of my friends (in MA) was anti-gun for decades, but kept expressing concerns about the fact that she lived on her own and is pretty isolated. Acknowledged she couldn't overpower a guy if threatened, after we talked through a number of emergency/threat type scenarios.

Since then, she's developed an interest in pistols. Now visits and does target shooting with me, and recently got her LTC.
Educate her. Getting an LTC and being pro 2A are very different things. Getting the LTC is a major step in the right direction.

Many people, specially in MA, still fall for all that "common sense gun control" narrative bullsh*t. You can see it here with a bunch of gun owners.

Last edited:
Still spots available

The one big caveat when carrying a weapon is the willingness to use it. While it applies to all a lot of people think women are less inclined to use it. Getting shot with your own weapon would really suck.

Educate her. Getting an LTC and being pro 2A are very different things. Getting the LTC is a major step in the right direction.

Many people, specially in MA, still fall for all that "common sense gun control" narrative bullsh*t. You can see it here with a bunch of gun owners.
This cannot be underestimated or ignored. I know many LTC holders that are democrat lemmings.

The one big caveat when carrying a weapon is the willingness to use it. While it applies to all a lot of people think women are less inclined to use it. Getting shot with your own weapon would really suck.
If police shooting stats are any indication, women aren't afraid to use their weapons. At least the last time I looked at the stats.

Aren't female cops slightly more quicker than male cops to draw their sidearms and shoot?

Wallum Lake runs six Ladies Learn to Shoot classes per year. They typically are full - 15 students. The cross section of students and reasons to take the class is quite varied -grand mothers, young mom’s with small children, women living alone, Reaons - self protection, curiosity, significant other shoots, there are firearms in the home so want to know how to handle safely, etc. Don’t get momma bear worried.

One way I have found to help women get more comfortable learning to shoot is to show them videos of Lena Miculek. She's charming AF and comes off patient, sane, gentle and light hearted while being safe and 'low key'. I try to internalize her whole vibe when I help green shooters.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhkA67CUcc
As a guy, I can't meaningfully comment on the Sig Rose program and design's appeal to women but the training component is definitely a good thing, as are their efforts to (I think anyway.) respectfully market to women.

Here's a wacky idea, maybe just help get them comfortable and capable and ultimately enjoying shooting and don't get in their grill about the politics if you want them to stand in the poling booth and consider the impact on their rights to keep doing so for their own reasons.

Back
Top Bottom