Women Getting Trigger Happy (ABC News)

JonJ

NES Member
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Moms/story?id=1743105&page=1
Women Getting Trigger Happy
More Women Are Buying and Using Guns

March 19, 2006 — More women, from soccer moms to professionals like the ones at the Blue Ridge Arsenal gun range in Chantilly, Va., are packing heat for sport, self-empowerment and protection.

"I am a short, chubby housewife," said Jaque Blundell of Arlington, Va. "I'm not as scared of the bad guys, because the guns are my great equalizer."

The gun industry is catering to women with everything from more girly guns and apparel to all-female hunting trips and free ladies nights at the range. It's clear the feminine touch is adding up to big business.

"A quarter to a third of all our customers here are women shooters," said Keith Weaver, who works at the Blue Ridge Arsenal.

Five years ago, the National Rifle Association offered just 13 firearms training classes for women. Today, there are more than 200 nationwide.

"If you look at statistics, there are more crimes of passion committed by men than there are women," said Sandra Froman, president of the NRA. "But I say that everyone has their emotions, and one of the things you learn when you take firearms classes is you learn to control your emotions."

Self Defense Becomes A Passion

Froman is the second female NRA president in 130 years. She said that owning guns usually begins as a self-defense tactic for many women and turns into a love for the sport.

Participation in the NRA's Women on Target program for shooters and hunters has increased more than 1,000 percent since 2000. Now it has 6,000 participants.

"We have a lot of women now going on women-only hunts for elk, for deer, for feral pigs, different kinds of game animals," Froman said. "And women who have never hunted before are learning about the enjoyment of hunting, of being in the outdoors."

But not everyone is convinced encouraging women to carry a gun is a good idea. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, it's at least 20 times more likely that you'll use your weapon to shoot someone in your home rather than using it to protect yourself from an intruder.

"If you bring a gun into the home, it increases the risk of homicide by three," said Becca Knox of the Brady Campaign. "If you decide that's the method of self-defense you're going to choose, you better be prepared to deal with the consequences."

John Blaschke says all parents need to lock up their guns like Fort Knox. His daughter Darby Nelson is already a pro at shooting at just 11 years old.

"Every time you pull that trigger you feel that rush," she said.

She's just what the gun industry is hoping will represent the next generation of pistol-packing women.

C-pher said:
Yea, it was a good story, and instead of showing stats on how crimes have been averted, they pull the Brady card.
Yup but it shows Brady is losing ground all. They keep puking up the same old crap and no one is listening. Take a look at all the "no retreat" laws being debated and enacted all over the country.
"Remember New Orleans!"

"If you bring a gun into the home, it increases the risk of homicide by three,"

Yeah, 3 times more likely to KILL A f***ING INTRUDER, than being killed yourself!

it's at least 20 times more likely that you'll use your weapon to shoot someone in your home rather than using it to protect yourself from an intruder.

Exactly who's ass do they pull these numbers from?

Also, remember anybody with a Phobia has to take baby steps to the cure.

This is a good first step...remember the media usally just choses to deny the truth if it doesn't suit thier agenda!

-Weer'd Beard

This trend has been going on for a few years. I asked a couple fellow dealers about how sales were going after 9/11 (this was in 2003 or 2004). THey told me sales were up, mostly handguns, most of them to first time owners, and most of them were women.

The sheeple are starting to awaken. ABC is not going to get their desired result. In fact, I'll wager they get the exact opposite result.

Well, as difficult as it may be, I'd be interested in meaningful statistics. For example, I'm ready to believe that having a gun in the house would lead to a greater chance of accidental shooting. But it would be nice to have "real" numbers.

The numbers regarding suicide are very suspect to me because people can commit suicide in other ways (asphyxiation) quite easily, and I don't believe that they can account for that properly (Japan has a higher teen suicide rate than we do, and no guns to speak of).

I would also like to factor out the intangibles like having a violent tempered thug in the house versus a more "normal" (whatever that means) sort of mix of personalities.

The problem is that I don't see any way to tease out these kind of numbers, I don't really believe that anyone has used the resources and information to get this stuff right.

But I would like to see an attempt made. I also don't know if I really believe the NRA numbers I have heard about 2 million crimes per year prevented via guns being brandished.

hminsky said:
For example, I'm ready to believe that having a gun in the house would lead to a greater chance of accidental shooting. But it would be nice to have "real" numbers.

That's only because if there isn't a gun in the house, then there's most likely not going to be an accidental shooting. You would need a gun to have a shooting. No gun, no shooting.

That's one of those "law of averages" type of comments.

I have a greater chance of dying in a plane accident if I fly on a plane that if I drive a car.

It's an asinine comment.

"If you bring a gun into the home, it increases the risk of homicide by three," said Becca Knox of the Brady Campaign. "If you decide that's the method of self-defense you're going to choose, you better be prepared to deal with the consequences."

Hey Becca....kiss my a$$. If my choice is being raped or watching the BG bleed, I'll go with the later, sister, and THAT you can bank on.

"If you bring a gun into the home, it increases the risk of homicide by three," said Becca Knox of the Brady Campaign.

And that's a BAD thing? Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Also I'm curious on how they got thier numbers.

Did they include justifyable homicide? (It's that the POINT of having the gun?)
Did they include gross negligence? (Like all these stories about ND by people who are dunk or impared, people who leave loaded guns lying around the house, or handing a loaded gun to an inexperienced person who is ignorance of gun respect? Also I won't even get into the Hoplophobes who buy a gun ANYWAY and think the best way to secure the gun is to hide it in the house and not tell ANYBODY about it)

Do they include Murder? (Hey people kill eachother, if a murderer didn't have a gun, it would be a case of strangling, or stabbing, et al)

Remember statistics cover people who are irresponcible as ones who are responcible (Look up condom effectiveness. Most of the cases of Condom failure result from improper use...not from a faulty product)

IMHO when you bring a gun into the house the biggest chance is NOTHING will happen. Nothing Bad, nothing good (it'll only shoot targets and critters).

That COULD be used as an argument against guns (well if you probably won't use the gun why risk the bad stuff for just a small chance of good?)

I think about auto safty devises. I have been in several car accidents, and none of them have I felt that my safty belt did anything. I'm still glad I had it on. I've NEVER seen an airbag deployed, but I ALWAYS wair my safty belt, and I always buy vehicles with an airbag.

Now bad things can happen from these safty devices, and more than likely you'll never have to use them....but we have them.

-Weer'd Beard

They don't care where they get the numbers. They're just puking out the same old crap with no substance. Sounds like the majority of Dems in the House and Senate. Say it long enough and loud enough and people will believe it. Fortunately the masses are starting to see through this veil and are getting tired of it.
Remember New Orleans!

How do they get their numbers? I think this may be one way.......

board.jpg

I was thinking, the flu is said to kill tens of thousands of people in the US every year.

What if we pushed for legislation for mandatory hand washing, say every hour, and the penalties for non-compliance are, I dunno, ten years in prison. Also shaking hands will be a felony and punishable by mandatory one year in jail.

If it saves just one life ...

Oh, and 50 thousand deaths from car accidents? Nobody really *needs* a car ...

I'm a big fan of the car argument. We don't have a right to transportation, and frankly here in Metro Boston we could ALL get along FINE without one since we have all that wonderful public transit, and the streets are so congested. Plus think of how many people die per year from helth compications due to auto exhaust!!!

Of course the same people who want to take away my RIGHT to keep and bare, are the same types who think ILLIGAL imagrants have the RIGHT to drive a car. Or convicted fellons have the RIGHT to vote.

Those rights must be in the fine print of the Constitution....I musta missed them!

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Of course the same people who want to take away my RIGHT to keep and bare

Uh... Weer'd, you have the right to keep and "bare" arms - all you have to do is buy a sleeveless t-shirt. [rolleyes]

Ross

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood spelling polizei.

dwarven1 said:
Uh... Weer'd, you have the right to keep and "bare" arms - all you have to do is buy a sleeveless t-shirt. [rolleyes]

Ross

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood spelling polizei.

If I didn't like you so much I may have to hit you with something heavy! [laugh]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

They always have to go and ruin a perfectly good article by throwing in a Bradyism.

My article would go something like this:

"I'm a woman, and I shoot. I shoot because it's fun and because some day it may save my life. Now shut the hell up about it if you don't like it- Because what you have to remember is: I AM THE ONE WITH THE GUN."

Back
Top Bottom