• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Women and shooting

As far as language, doesn't bother me. I am not the norm though. Alot stems from being the only female in an all male shop in the Army. I had to have really thick skin. I have heard it all and it doesn't phase me.[laugh]

I taught my ex and my daughters to shoot. It took with my daughters, but the ex now has a different husband and different interests. Works for me. ;-)

I had never shot a gun in my life until my boyfriend (now husband) took me to the local fair. Of course it wasn't the best first choice - a bb gun and a small, star target - you know what I mean. But it was fun and I felt challenged. For the next few years that was the only time I shot anything. Later on, after we had been married a few years, I was introduced to many other types of pistols and rifles. Mostly it was a family time for us, target shooting in the back field with the 3 kids. It was not too long ago, maybe about 10 years or so that my husband who was an avid hunter had no one to go to Maine with him. So I went.

THAT'S WHEN I THOUGHT IT TIME TO LEARN MORE!

I felt so helpless in the woods without a firearm of my own. It was very scary for the novice. So I went on a mission! I took a woman's only BOW class (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) the next September. I got my Hunter's ed certificate and was proud to carry my 20 g. shotgun the following November (my first bird hunt!). Since that time I have also taken an NRA pistol course and now have my own LTC-A. I also shot with SAS in Braintree. And I AM A GIRLY GIRL!

It really does depend on your mindset. You have to be interested or curious in the first place (to some degree). It's a learned comfort level. Proper training is key! It also takes some patience. And perhaps compromise here and there.

Mrs. Pondhill[grin]

You go girl!! [wink] [smile]

I had never shot a gun in my life until my boyfriend (now husband) took me to the local fair. Of course it wasn't the best first choice - a bb gun and a small, star target - you know what I mean. But it was fun and I felt challenged. For the next few years that was the only time I shot anything. Later on, after we had been married a few years, I was introduced to many other types of pistols and rifles. Mostly it was a family time for us, target shooting in the back field with the 3 kids. It was not too long ago, maybe about 10 years or so that my husband who was an avid hunter had no one to go to Maine with him. So I went.

THAT'S WHEN I THOUGHT IT TIME TO LEARN MORE!

I felt so helpless in the woods without a firearm of my own. It was very scary for the novice. So I went on a mission! I took a woman's only BOW class (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) the next September. I got my Hunter's ed certificate and was proud to carry my 20 g. shotgun the following November (my first bird hunt!). Since that time I have also taken an NRA pistol course and now have my own LTC-A. I also shot with SAS in Braintree. And I AM A GIRLY GIRL!

It really does depend on your mindset. You have to be interested or curious in the first place (to some degree). It's a learned comfort level. Proper training is key! It also takes some patience. And perhaps compromise here and there.

Mrs. Pondhill[grin]

Barb asked to go again. She says she "hooked". We're going Saturday morning. Wish I could take her plinking somewhere close by.

I emailed her the Pumpkin Shoot pics to her work and she showed them to some of the other women there. She said some were taken back a bit and said "You shot a gun? That's scary. I could never do that." Barb's reply? "It's fun. It's only scary the first time you pull the trigger. Maybe you should try it, wussy!"

Barb asked to go again. She says she "hooked". We're going Saturday morning. Wish I could take her plinking somewhere close by.

I emailed her the Pumpkin Shoot pics to her work and she showed them to some of the other women there. She said some were taken back a bit and said "You shot a gun? That's scary. I could never do that." Barb's reply? "It's fun. It's only scary the first time you pull the trigger. Maybe you should try it, wussy!"

[banana] [rockon] [banana]

You go Barb! [smile]

Define "close by"? If Mansfield would work, I still have 6 evil pumpkins which need to be destroyed! We could also do a head-spacing party?

I had the Manchester NH gun show on my calendar as a "maybe" for that day but I'm not very inclined to head up there this week.

I love Barb's come-back. Good thing she's the boss there though! [laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom