• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Women and mace..a rant

We had two different women come into the store this weekend to buy mace. Both of them had just issued FIDs.

I could tell in their eyes they were scared. I certainly wouldn't pry or anything, but it was easy to tell from their eyes these women were frightened.

I'm sure it was a crazy boyfriend or ex.

This gets me so pissed.

I've told this story on here more than once, but eight or nine years ago when I was living in the "safe" North End and there was a molester running around assaulting women the BPD "allowed" women to come to apply for an FID in order to buy mace.

Several women were refused because of outstanding parking tickets, including my wife who was the queen of outstanding parking tickets.

I went out and bought mace and gave it to every woman in our building.

It just makes me livid.

Those women who came in this weekend were scared and desperate and have been neutered by our government into believing the only way they can protect themselves is a bottle of stinky perfume.

They should have been able to buy a Smith snubby with hollow points but because of that little red stripe on their permit they can't.

I wish them the best.

Bastards[angry]

I went out and bought mace and gave it to every woman in our building.

Bastards[angry]

So you needed mace to "give it" to every woman in the building, huh? I would have tries flowers and alcohol, but that's just me. [laugh]

Actually, what you did took guts. You risked a lot when you did that but it was for a good cause. Mace, in my opinion, requires a back up weapon like a kubaton, flashlight, or knife at the ready. I guess the poor girls just have to pray that the mace works on this assailant, because we all know sometimes it doesn't phase em and even makes them angrier.

You tube sometimes has good videos about how people react to pepper spray. Some people are able to keep fighting quite effectively when they
are debilitated by it.

Some people are able to keep fighting quite effectively when they are debilitated by it.

ANYONE can. It all matters how much the fight means to you. If you stay focused, it will be annoying, but you can still fight. As soon as you submit, you are done.

Lets face it, you get to play in the gas chamber in the military so that you learn what you might face and how it will effect you. Do you think for a moment that criminals have not done this to see how they will react to pepper spray?

And heaven forbid the criminal knows how to use the decon wipes. They are not 100% effective, but they take a lot of the sting out.

The same kind of thing applies to a taser. Once you know what to expect, it hurts like hell, but you can fight through it.

Lets face it, if these products were the answer, why are we still arming cops? Because when you need a gun, ONLY a gun will do the job. Period.

At least they're waking up and realizing they need to protect themselves instead of relying on dial-a-prayer, I mean 911.

I know a woman who is going through a divorce and was talking about getting a restraining order. I offered her a can of OC "just in case something happens" and her freaking reply was "no thanks, I may wind up using it" (????????????????????????) Turns out, she has an LTC, but won't own guns because "I have kids" - I then called her on the fact that she also lets them ride motorcycles and has a pool, and was stupider than I thought.

Looking back, I think the restraining order was just her way of being a b**ch to the guy.

Turns out, she has an LTC, but won't own guns because "I have kids" - I then called her on the fact that she also lets them ride motorcycles and has a pool, and was stupider than I thought.

I can't consider anyone to be a responsible parent who has the right to own a firearm to defend their home but chooses not to.

Mace, in my opinion, requires a back up weapon like a kubaton, flashlight, or knife at the ready. I guess the poor girls just have to pray that the mace works on this assailant, because we all know sometimes it doesn't phase em and even makes them angrier.

I've explained to my wife and daughter that mace is a "spray and run" defensive weapon, and nothing more.

I can't consider anyone to be a responsible parent who has the right to own a firearm to defend their home but chooses not to.

I respect that they have a LTC and also respect how they run their house. It's their choice.

I'm an avid motorcyclist but won't force it on anyone. The majority of people would kill themselves and others on motorcycles; I feel similar for guns.

I don't know why a license is required to carry OC Spray. It is not a weapon. Any cop will tell you the OC Spray he carries is a "temporary distraction device" used on non-compliant subjects only. Those subjects who are assaultive and in the act of causing bodily harm to the officer get the baton, not OC Spray.

That said, I still encourage my female friends to carry it. Only one does though, a non resident with out a non resident permit too. I told her this was technically illegal, but I'm not about to turn her in.[grin]

I actually carry one of the ASP Key Defender models. It is a small amount of OC essentially in a kubotan. It doesn't spray very far but to me it is a fair compromise of the functionality of a full sized OC Spray canister for small size and carrying OC and a kubotan in the same unit.

I'm an avid motorcyclist but won't force it on anyone. The majority of people would kill themselves and others on motorcycles; I feel similar for guns.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but that statement means absolutely nothing. What are you saying? Most people who have never hopped on a bike would kill themself? Anyone who has never hopped on a bike before falls under this category. Does more than 50% of the population that tries riding end up dead?

You know what I mean? The majority of people would kill themselves and others if they owned guns? I really have no idea what you are talking about and I have never come across anything to suggest that this is the truth or near the truth. Can you?

Last edited:
I was in the local gun store a few days ago buying some ammo, and an attractive young lady came in and bought a .38 snub (looked like a 642, but Iwas acorss the room). After getting the whole speech about maintenance, a bunch of ammo, a safe, etc., she said something along the lines of "With all the fuss it would be easier to just use some Mace." She also said the gun would be for home defense, locked up, and never carried, not even to the range.

I have no idea what her background was, but the logic is the same.

A few years ago, when young girls started turning up dead all around the Worcester area (the ones that guy Scesny's being looked at for), I spoke to an Oakham police officer who told me that there was a box of pepper spray in their police department, and they were instructed to give it out to any woman who wanted it, no questions asked.

It's pretty bad that we need a permit just to possess OC in this state, but what's worse is how few people really even consider how poorly they might be defending themselves.

I always carry pepper spray, its is always with me day or night.

I live in Ware and go to school in Worcester in a very sketchy area. I know that I cant rely on pepper spray to stop a predator 100% but I know that I have a better chance to get away with it then with out it.

I believe at one point women were being told if they were approached by a predator to drop to the ground on your back and kick and scream. Excuse me!! Are you kidding......HELLO.....why not just take your clothes off too, cause you have just done half the job for them!

I have even gone to the point of handing out the info to other women in my class. They had mentioned being afraid of walking to their cars at night after class, not only because the area is just bad, but there has been 2 kids killed this year in the immediate area. The always ask me questions and help about obtaining an LTC but most of them would never carry, but thats not a option on campus any how.

I gave the the tools to be prepared to protect themselves, some have ignored it and other are already carrying.

I always carry pepper spray, its is always with me day or night.

I live in Ware and go to school in Worcester in a very sketchy area. I know that I cant rely on pepper spray to stop a predator 100% but I know that I have a better chance to get away with it then with out it.

I believe at one point women were being told if they were approached by a predator to drop to the ground on your back and kick and scream. Excuse me!! Are you kidding......HELLO.....why not just take your clothes off too, cause you have just done half the job for them!

I have even gone to the point of handing out the info to other women in my class. They had mentioned being afraid of walking to their cars at night after class, not only because the area is just bad, but there has been 2 kids killed this year in the immediate area. The always ask me questions and help about obtaining an LTC but most of them would never carry, but thats not a option on campus any how.

I gave the the tools to be prepared to protect themselves, some have ignored it and other are already carrying.

To this day women do this, even when I'm across the street![rofl] And I'm not a predator.

my gf may or may not have been given it by UMASS Amherst police when she was an undergrad. She also may or may not still have it

I really have no idea what you are talking about and I have never come across anything to suggest that this is the truth or near the truth. Can you?

I think what he's getting at, indirectly, is that not everyone is cut out to handle using a firearm for self defense; and it's mostly a mindset thing. A gun in the hands of a person who would be too reluctant to actually use it when needed may end up being marginally better than a paperweight, and at worse, it might even be a liability if the criminal calls the reluctant person on their bluff. It isn't that this mindset cannot be changed/developed either, but assuming that everyone "gets self defense" by default, is a negligent assumption. To use the bike analogy, it's like handing someone control of a motorcycle that just told you two minutes ago "if I ever rode a motorcycle, I'll probably wipe out and kill myself". With that kind of mindset, they're almost predicating the outcome in advance! If people reacted to attack violently by default, there would be a lot more dead or wounded criminals and a lot less crime- if everyone fought back "by default" violent criminal acts would probably drop by 50-75% or more, easily.... because the average "take" would be way too much work/risk for 90+% of criminals. With the exception of a few full out psychopaths, most criminals want EASY targets.

The problem lies in the fact that society has attached a stigma to all violence; so much so that it suppresses a very meaningful and important form of violence- the right of self defense, in a large part of the population. Many have been brainwashed into thinking "all violence is bad by default" so they cannot fathom defending themselves- and when the chips are actually down, these people freeze or have nervous breakdowns because they're not mentally prepared to deal with the situation, because they never thought
about it before.

-Mike

Last edited:
i convinced my sister to get her LTC A instead oof mmace only, explaining having an ltc gives the optiob ofcarry a gub or macee. the permit gave her no options. she waiverd, so i offeres to pay for the class andlicense. she has ltc and goes shooting with me. her favorites are the m1carbie and my ar 15carbine.

I don't know why a license is required to carry OC Spray.

Allow me to answer that one. I refer you to the FAQ page of the Boston Police Department's website.

mace.jpg

Q: Why do I need a license.

A: Because, you need a license.

Clear as mud.

Liberal politicians who support disarming innocent people who suffer at the hands of criminals should burn in hell.

Maybe the village green would be a better place to stand and warm your hands from the fire of tyranny.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but that statement means absolutely nothing. What are you saying? Most people who have never hopped on a bike would kill themself? Anyone who has never hopped on a bike before falls under this category. Does more than 50% of the population that tries riding end up dead?

You know what I mean? The majority of people would kill themselves and others if they owned guns? I really have no idea what you are talking about and I have never come across anything to suggest that this is the truth or near the truth. Can you?

First of all, don't get all up in arms about it. It wasn't a personal attack on you unless you are one of the many brain-bucketed out there. You can get what you want from my statement. If you wish to pull that out of it, fine with me.

Go look at the latest "HURT" report.

Then, go look at the majority of riders on the road.

It would be like having people all over with guns that learn ONLY how to pull the trigger. People shooting with no safety glasses or hearing protection.

Drgrant nailed it. If people already can't handle driving in traffic, keeping control of their kids, paying their mortgages, or being courteous by not leaving their shopping cart in the middle of the god damn isle in the grocery store, you sure as hell can't bet on the majority being able to handle a firearm with respect, caution and restraint.

Last edited:
Bikers

First of all, don't get all up in arms about it. It wasn't a personal attack on you unless you are one of the many brain-bucketed out there. You can get what you want from my statement. If you wish to pull that out of it, fine with me.

Go look at the latest "HURT" report.

Then, go look at the majority of riders on the road.

It would be like having people all over with guns that learn ONLY how to pull the trigger. People shooting with no safety glasses or hearing protection.

Drgrant nailed it. If people already can't handle driving in traffic, keeping control of their kids, paying their mortgages, or being courteous by not leaving their shopping cart in the middle of the god damn isle in the grocery store, you sure as hell can't bet on the majority being able to handle a firearm with respect, caution and restraint.
I was riding my CBR in Western Mass. Saturday and heard this roar from behind me. 2 idiots on Harley`s went roaring past me on my left in my lane. IN MY f***ING LANE! RT.5/10 going from Easthampton to Westfield. They missed me by 6". When the 2nd a**h*** passed me he took his hands off the handlebars, spread them apart and looked up at the sky. I was so pissed I knew if I confronted them there would have been violence. I took the next left on 202 and heading back to park the bike. IDIOTS! Some people shouldn`t be allowed to own anything that moves,shoots or could injure anyone else.

1.) What would be like having people all over with guns that learn ONLY how to pull the trigger?

2.) Are you suggesting that most people are incapable of riding motorcycles and responsible firearm ownership altogether? Or do you think that in each case with proper training people could learn both?

If people already can't handle driving in traffic, keeping control of their kids, paying their mortgages, or being courteous by not leaving their shopping cart in the middle of the god damn isle in the grocery store, you sure as hell can't bet on the majority being able to handle a firearm with respect, caution and restraint.
So if someone is a bad driver or leaves their shopping cart in the middle of the isle they should not be allowed to handle a firearm? I disagree, I think that these things have nothing to do with eachother. I know responsible firearm owners that I would never ride in the passenger seat of their car. I think you're stretching this a bit.

or being courteous by not leaving their shopping cart in the middle of the god damn isle in the grocery store

My wife does that all the time. GOD that's irritating. We still do enjoy going to the range though, from time to time.

My wife had a LTC "A" and was carrying on a daily basis. she is an avid runner (and runs early mornings, before dawn) her #1 reason for getting her license was to protect herself while running.

She practiced shooting (and was pretty good) regularly. Then something happened about 6 1/2 years ago.

Our first child (daughter) was born.

I started to notice that her carry gun didn't move, and she wasn't shooting anymore. After the birth of our child she realized (or decided) that she couldn't take someone's life if she had to, even if it meant saving her own. She was afraid that because she couldn't /wouldn't use it that the gun would be used against her.

While I tried to help change her mind, I appreciate her being able to realize this BEFORE it was too late.

Her LTC has since expired and she now has only a FID for mace. She still runs, and carries FOX labs spray. It's not a perfect solution, but it is "better than nothing". She understands that the spray is a "spray and run", and hope you can run faster and further.

So the moral of my long winded post is. . .it may be a decision a person made, mace is better than nothing

Back
Top Bottom