Woman's Input: Holster for Pocketbook carry?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Some things have come up in my wife's work world that she is considering starting to carry a small handgun in her purse. Before anyone starts saying she needs to carry on her person, it's just not going to happen so no need to post that. Her purse is the next best thing and that's what my post is concentrating on.

She has small hands and for now we are going to the range to have her shoot my Colt Mustang in 380, my S&W 642 J Frame in 38 Special and my G26 in 9mm. We want to see which one she feels more comfortable with. I'm hoping the J Frame, but it's up to her.

Either way I'm not sure what kind of holster would work best for any of them in a purse. So I'm looking for some input on what the ladies of NES or the wives of NES members are currently using for this kind of carrying.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I no longer really enjoy shooting my 380s because the recoil is just a bit much and there's not a lot of grip to hold onto. I have small hands as well so I know that struggle. If her hands are as small as mine then the G26 is too big even since it's a double stack. I have a G43 that's my daily carry and I shoot well with it. It's a single stack 9. Anyway, not here to convince you what gun but just wanted to give my insight on that front.

With re to the holster... I don't carry a purse but sometimes I carry a little backpack when I decide I'm not going to carry on my belt. In the summer, it's especially difficult so I like to keep my G43 in a little backpack. I've rigged it up with some paracord and a trigger guard holster, so the holster is looped up to a (drain) hole in the bottom of my backpack. I don't keep anything else in the same pocket/compartment as the pistol. The con here is that it will take longer for me to get the gun out of my bag but with practice and situational awareness, I don't think it's a big deal.

You can also consider getting a purse designed specifically for concealed carry so it has velcro for your velcro holster but I don't really have any advice or opinions on those.

Didn't GOAL recently do a women's concealed fashion show? Maybe send them an email and see if they have any recommendations/first hand experience stories.

Almost any pocket holster would work. I pocket carry a J-frame in an Uncle Mike's cheapie. She could safety-pin the thing into the purse to keep it lined up, wrap a nice lady hanky around the gun butt and don't mention it to anybody. The new S&W .380 EZ might be worth a look, and a steel J-frame will have less felt recoil than your Airweight.

purse_defender_with_smith_wesson_m_p_shield.jpg
Look no further than the crossbreed purse defender!

>

while i would not personally off-body carry, Alabama holster is phenomenal for pocket or purse carry. i would definitely go with a kydex holster that has retention. not a typical soft pocket holster that can easily lose the gun. the alabama holsters have a hole in the rivet to support a lanyard. it aids in drawing. many other companies out there make pocket holsters that look similar, but in my experience they all suck compared to Alabama. the downside for their products is that you'll wait ~2 months, but it's worth it.

https://www.alabamaholster.com/product-category/purse-bag-holsters/

Leaving a pistol unattended is not a good idea for several reasons. Is she going to carry her purse with her every minute of the day? Or, have it locked up when not carried?

Leaving a pistol unattended is not a good idea for several reasons. Is she going to carry her purse with her every minute of the day? Or, have it locked up when not carried?

It's something we still need to work out. I'm just trying to get her there. It's mostly for when she's at work so it will be right next to her in her office. If she leaves her office she'll take it with her. If not she'll lock it in her desk. At least that will be the discussion.

I purse carry. I usually make sure I buy a purse with an outside zippered pocket on the back. That way it is not in the main compartment of the purse but easy to get to if needed. On the off chance someone looks in the purse it's not an obvious place for something.

Some CC purses also have a lock on the gun compartment which could be handy if she had to leave her purse unattended. I bought one nice purse for about $80. After a year the strap broke and I haven't found a place to get it repaired. I won't spend that much on another one. I just look for a good option when shopping.

I no longer really enjoy shooting my 380s because the recoil is just a bit much and there's not a lot of grip to hold onto. I have small hands as well so I know that struggle. If her hands are as small as mine then the G26 is too big even since it's a double stack. I have a G43 that's my daily carry and I shoot well with it. It's a single stack 9. Anyway, not here to convince you what gun but just wanted to give my insight on that front.

With re to the holster... I don't carry a purse but sometimes I carry a little backpack when I decide I'm not going to carry on my belt. In the summer, it's especially difficult so I like to keep my G43 in a little backpack. I've rigged it up with some paracord and a trigger guard holster, so the holster is looped up to a (drain) hole in the bottom of my backpack. I don't keep anything else in the same pocket/compartment as the pistol. The con here is that it will take longer for me to get the gun out of my bag but with practice and situational awareness, I don't think it's a big deal.

You can also consider getting a purse designed specifically for concealed carry so it has velcro for your velcro holster but I don't really have any advice or opinions on those.

Where do keep the AR?

I purse carry. I usually make sure I buy a purse with an outside zippered pocket on the back. That way it is not in the main compartment of the purse but easy to get to if needed. On the off chance someone looks in the purse it's not an obvious place for something.

Some CC purses also have a lock on the gun compartment which could be handy if she had to leave her purse unattended. I bought one nice purse for about $80. After a year the strap broke and I haven't found a place to get it repaired. I won't spend that much on another one. I just look for a good option when shopping.

Try your local saddle shop. If they don't do repairs, they should know who does.

My wife used her Gun Tote'n Mamas purse every day until this summer. Now she carries in a Ukoala bag. The new bag is more informal, but converts from shoulder strap to backpack, to belt carry, and uses kydex holsters from Crossbreed in its holster pocket. An advantage of the GTM purse is that the strap contains a stainless steel cable to prevent cutting to steal the bag.

To the OP: Lady Radtekk and I have had the convo, she prefers "on body" so no advice there. Is ankle carry a possibility? A small gun in a "Bugbite" ankle holster isn't terrible if she can wear clothes that work, and NOBODY looks down there. 1000% agree with @PennyPincher about 380 recoil. Lady Radtekk's hasn't been out of the safe in a LONG time for just that reason. She has a G26 Gen4, when I broght home the Shield 2.0 in 9 she picked it up and immediately asked if I had gotten one for myself. She carried that until I brought home a Springfield single stack xD in 9, now the Shield site next to the G26 that sits next to the 380.

So, from my home to yours, I'd look at the Shield or xD single stacks for small hands, and a BUGBite Holsters to carry it. I've seen the Pistol Packing Mama bags, they LOOK nice on the web but never seen one in person. Somebody here is (I think) still selling one in the classifieds, can't search from my phone while replying so...

Lastly, Lady Radtekk and I will be hosting "Cowboy Day" Sunday at my club in Westford, feel free to sign up, happy to bring the G26 and Springfields for a compare and contrast, and the BugBite holster to try 'em with. Lady Radtekk has been doing this for a few years, has had this kind of chat many times, woman-to-woman really works best.

Try your local saddle shop. If they don't do repairs, they should know who does.
Old school shoe repair works too:) Not sure where OP actually lives (South Central MA covers a lot) but Hanson Grain in Hanson (shocking, I know!) can likely put you in contact with somebody that does leather repair.

Some things have come up in my wife's work world that she is considering starting to carry a small handgun in her purse. Before anyone starts saying she needs to carry on her person, it's just not going to happen so no need to post that. Her purse is the next best thing and that's what my post is concentrating on.

She has small hands and for now we are going to the range to have her shoot my Colt Mustang in 380, my S&W 642 J Frame in 38 Special and my G26 in 9mm. We want to see which one she feels more comfortable with. I'm hoping the J Frame, but it's up to her.

Either way I'm not sure what kind of holster would work best for any of them in a purse. So I'm looking for some input on what the ladies of NES or the wives of NES members are currently using for this kind of carrying.

Thanks for the input.
642 in an ankle holster?

(My 637 only leaves me if I'm wearing shorts. ).

Before you go, have some serious dryfire sessions.

Of those, the g26 would be my first choice for a novice shooter. I consider myself experienced for pistol and a 380 is a lot of hoppy little recoil goodness to attempt to control.

The 642 with lady critical duty pink loads after a few hundred dry fire practice sessions would be the best light option. But ya have to take the dry fire time to get the roll out of the DA trigger.

And cylinder drills (load two random, then load three random. Alternate randomly) also really really help.

I love my g26. But it stays at home or in a running bag.

Not a woman, but I have seen these trigger cover holsters used for appendix carry. They are just molded kydex that covers the tirgger guard.

s-l300.jpg

If the gun is just going to be in a regular purse, all you really need is something to cover the trigger so it doesn't get snagged on something while it's bouncing around in there.

These trigger covers add zero bulk to the gun and are quickly and intuitively removed should the gun be needed. They won't protect the pistol from getting dinged up, but I'm guessing that's not a problem.

I imagine a quick draw time is going to be off the table if you just have a loose gun in a purse somewhere that your wife will have to dig around for. Probably unavoidable unless she buys a dedicated carry purse.

Thanks for the input.
There are quite a few purses on the market that are designed specifically to conceal a handgun. If I were you I'd start there rather than a holster placed into a handbag. Kittery trading Post and shooters both have had some in stock to look at to get a feel for what's out there.

Gun totn' Mama's is a good on line source.

Last edited:
... I have seen these trigger cover holsters used for appendix carry. They are just molded kydex that covers the tirgger guard.
ND while applying trigger cover holster to Glock in 3...2...1...

But if we retrofitted my 5[+]11 tacticool pants pockets with some kind of eyelet
that the cover lanyard could be attached to,
I'd consider it for my carry 1911 (which has a manual safety).

Glock 42 in 380 is a great gun to shoot. Much lighter than 9mm. A bit less powerful but follow up shots are easier.

Purse carry is better than no carry.

Purse carry with an empty chamber that you have to rack could even be quicker on the draw than ankle carry.
Not that I would recommend that but she needs to plan for her likely eventualities.

The 642 is great too but more recoil and heavier longer trigger pull since it's a revolver.

purse_defender_with_smith_wesson_m_p_shield.jpg
Look no further than the crossbreed purse defender!

>
My wife uses this and likes it. I've tried 50 million times to convince her to carry on-body, but she won't . At least she'll use this.

**Edit: And, yes, she does realize she must carry her purse at all times when carrying this way.

It was a proud moment when she went from never carrying to carrying all the time where permitted. She loves her G42. I did today order her the crossbreed purse holster mentioned above.

My wife used her Gun Tote'n Mamas purse every day until this summer. Now she carries in a Ukoala bag. The new bag is more informal, but converts from shoulder strap to backpack, to belt carry, and uses kydex holsters from Crossbreed in its holster pocket. An advantage of the GTM purse is that the strap contains a stainless steel cable to prevent cutting to steal the bag.
Just saw a picture of Lena Miculek wearing a Ukola bag around the waist.

Back
Top Bottom