• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman Shoots Rare Albino . . .

image003_550px.jpg

Minnesota Woman Shoots Rare Albino Deer on Opening Day of Hunting Season

I wondered, if they are that rare why aren't they protected? I did a quick search and found this:

Albino Deer
About the species
The Albino Deer is one of the rarest animals you will come across in North America today. They are currently on the endagenered specie list, meaning that it is illegal to own or shoot an albino deer. If you do spot one it is recommended that you contact your local authority to keep them aware there is or may be an endangered animal in your area.

There are several reasons why an Albino deer is a rare animal. On average a deer is only considered albino 1 in every 100,000 times a deer is born. Considering this alone, the odds of you or me seeing one in the wild is very, very low. On top of that, the fact that they are so visible in the wild makes their overall lifespan shrink as their coat becomes a lightbulb to predators.

Often times people confuse a piebald deer with an albino deer, howerver there are some distinct differences between the two breeds. A couple easy ways to distinguish an albino deer is the color of the eyes being pink, and the color of their coat being pure white with no markings. On the other side, the piebald deer has a white coat along with few or several dark markings typical of a cow. The piebald deer also has pigment or color in their eyes unlike an albino deer.

The video is here:​

Last edited:
I'd consider the source for that "information" to by rather suspect. That's the first time I've ever heard albinos referred to as a breed. It's nothing more than a recessive congenital disorder characterized by the absence of melanin. Albino dear are going to appear naturally in any normal population. If for some strange reason one wanted to reliably produce albino dear, all that would be necessary would be to isolate albino bucks and does so that the bred with other albinos. It sounds like the sort of environmental insanity that resulted in the "western spotted owl" being declared an endangered species, when in fact any real biologist will tell you that there's absolutely no difference between the "western" ones and all the rest, except that a small population of them ended up in that particular area.

Ken

She must have thought it to be a piebald deer

Here is anouther Pennsyvaynya White Deer.

It must be something in the water??

Mark_Brennan.jpg

There is NO Closed Season on Albino critters. Thats Racist!

So. Is it all white meat? and must one partake of a fine Chablise when consuming this fare?

Wouldn't an albino deer be genetically deficient? If so, it should be culled out of the gene pool.

Protected makes no sense based on rarity....if that were true, wouldnt bucks with enormous racks also be very rare and endangered? Or for that matter, any animal with a birth defect? Can I not shoot a squirrel who has 5 legs?

Back
Top Bottom