• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman dead, 3 Somerville officers stabbed in domestic incident

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/07/three_somervill.html

SOMERVILLE -- A woman who was taken for a psychiatric evaluation this morning is dead and three Somerville police officers were stabbed after responding to a domestic incident today, police and neighbors said.

Police said in a statement that officers arrived on Sycamore Terrace around 6:30 a.m.

"As a result of this response three officers were stabbed by suspect and sustained non-life threatening wounds,'' police said. "The suspect is deceased...There are no additional suspects being sought at this point in the investigation.''

Neighbors said the woman was in her mid 30s and that she was involved in a turbulent relationship with a man. The couple often argued and police were also often called to restore peace, neighbors said. They also said that the woman had a history of alcohol abuse.

"I feel horrible for her I really do,'' said neighbor Becky Felhazy, 3, who lives across the hall. "One day I helped find her cat.''

The woman's boyfriend told neighbors that he had taken her to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation around 3 a.m. today. She returned to the apartment complex and tried to start a fire, neighbors said they were told.

It was not immediately clear how the woman was released from the hospital or how she returned to the Sycamore Terrace building.

This morning, neighbors said, they were awoken by the sounds of shouted voices. The smoke alarm then began to sound – it is not clear yet if the woman actually started a fire -- and residents started leaving the building, fearing it was on fire.

Somerville firefighters responded to the smoke alarm this morning, neighbors said.

A law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the incident said the woman was barricaded inside a bathroom in an apartment when the stabbings occurred.

The source said the woman stabbed two of the officers when they tried to remove her and when the third officer was attacked his gun went off, fatally wounding the woman.

Somerville police said the three officers are now being treated at area hospitals. "These officers have been transported to area hospitals for treatment,'' police said.

Neighbors said that while the woman had her challenges, she was also a generally peaceful person and a decent neighbor.

One neighbor, who asked not to be identified by name because of the ongoing investigation, said they entered the building after the smoke alarm began sounding. Lying in the hallway, the neighbor said, was a bloody knife.

Another neighbor reported seeing an officer stumble out of the building bleeding from a wound to one of his hands.

The sudden outbreak of violence has left residents stunned and saddened.

"I am little shaken up someone got killed above me,'' said Kevin Donovan, who lives below the apartment where the violence took place. "She had problems in general.''

Somerville and State Police are investigating the incident, along with the office of Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr.

Normally you need to go a few more blocks east in Somerville for a story like that. Hope the officers are ok.

Having worked in the mental health field for 17-years, I can;t say I'm surprised by the fact she was released from the ER. It was a more frequent occurrence - especially under the "forced healthcare system" in Massachusetts. Physicians and clinicians are no longer calling the shots with regards to patient care - an operator with no medical training is. Look for more of this as Obamacare continues to strip the care directives of professionals and put it into the hands of the headset wearers. It's sad the woman was shot - but sadder still that 3 officers had to go into harms way to rectify a situation that should have been rectified in the emergency room....

One time I couldnt get my hands on a Sec 12 patient and she went home and killed her elderly mother...glad the Officers are ok, shooting a mentally ill person must suck but its better than the alternative.

The comment on T&G's website was "why didn't they shoot her in the leg" and then that it sounded suspicious. Seriously, some people shouldn't be allowed to share the same air with the rest of us.

The comment on T&G's website was "why didn't they shoot her in the leg" and then that it sounded suspicious. Seriously, some people shouldn't be allowed to share the same air with the rest of us.

A sad illusion caused by the movies...

It's a shame she had to die, and that an officer had to kill her. It'll be more of a shame if media pressure makes what he's going through worse.

Tragedy... Reasonable restrictions such as one knife a month would solve all of these problems...

I'm glad I'm not the only one mildly confused by that statement.

The media sucks. They need to stop hiring people who haven't taken an English class since 3rd grade.

I suppose you could argue that they are trying to protect the cop until the investigation is complete...but "the gun went off" is like:

"Unrequested nuclear fission surplus" or "unwilling sperm recipient". Very sanitary reporting.

I suppose you could argue that they are trying to protect the cop until the investigation is complete...but "the gun went off" is like:

"Unrequested nuclear fission surplus" or "unwilling sperm recipient". Very sanitary reporting.

[rofl][rofl]

You have a good point.

I was NOT there and am only going on what was reported on the news, but three cops and they have to kill her? I am all for protecting yourself and am sure this will be "justified", but if it was my profession (police officer) I would not be happy with the outcome. Stun-gun? Krav Maga or other type of training to get the knife away? Again, 3 cops and 1 woman, who did not sneak up on them and who they knew had a mental issues, just seems like killing her should have been avoided.

Just to be clear, I just think there should be a better way. If it was one cop who was attacked by a woman with a knife, or even three that where ambushed, I could see her being shot. But THREE cops that had her cornered. Hmmmmm.

What if it was three of "us" citizens being attacked by her and one killed her, would it be so cut-and-dry???

What if it was three of "us" citizens being attacked by her and one killed her, would it be so cut-and-dry???

Seeing as all three cops got shanked, I'd say so.

Maybe they should have tazed her or something, to begin with. But, three cops in a room, and this woman manages to stick a knife in all three? I'd say the put-down was in order.

I was NOT there and am only going on what was reported on the news, but three cops and they have to kill her? I am all for protecting yourself and am sure this will be "justified", but if it was my profession (police officer) I would not be happy with the outcome. Stun-gun? Krav Maga or other type of training to get the knife away? Again, 3 cops and 1 woman, who did not sneak up on them and who they knew had a mental issues, just seems like killing her should have been avoided.

Just to be clear, I just think there should be a better way. If it was one cop who was attacked by a woman with a knife, or even three that where ambushed, I could see her being shot. But THREE cops that had her cornered. Hmmmmm.

So what's the magic number of cops present before they are not allowed to defend themselves from the nut that's stabbing them? 3 is apparently too many for you so is it 2 or 1? Don't forget it's their job to disarm and take into custody dangerous people such as this woman. And they may have not known she was armed when they approached her. They may not have even known what room she was in.

Two thoughts about the gun "just going off".

1 - If she stabbed him in the hand or arm that held the gun he may have unintentionally pulled the trigger due to an involuntary reaction to the injury. Such as clenching his hand shut recoiling from the knife. I have never been injured like that but can imagine there would be a dramatic involuntary reaction to something like being stabbed. Just throwing that out there, maybe someone with more knowledge of anatomy or involuntary body reactions than I have can give more insight.

2 - She got her hand on the gun in the struggle and caused it to fire. If she was close enough to stab him she was close enough to grab his gun.

So what's the magic number of cops present before they are not allowed to defend themselves from the nut that's stabbing them? 3 is apparently too many for you so is it 2 or 1? Don't forget it's their job to disarm and take into custody dangerous people such as this woman.

You have me all wrong, and yes I understand their job. I am not saying it was not the best option, but just saying that, in my opinion, it seems like there should have been a better way. The cop who shot the woman should not feel like he is wrong, nor do I think he needs to be "looked into". I am just saying that from what information was on the news, three cops with a known "nut job" in the bathroom and one killing her, I don't like it. No hostage, nobody else to harm (besides the police obviously) there is no other way?

I know my opinion is not going to be popular, but is it not worth debating?

Doesn't matter if it was 50 cops.
Knife=Deadly Force, Gun=Deadly force
She stabbed 3 before being dropped. They may have had her cornered, but it seems, from they information provided, that they tried to end it peacefully.

Have you ever fought with someone with Mental Health issues? They seem to have a strength reserve that is incredible. Throw a knife into the mix and I am shooting.

You've obviously never had to respond to a domestic!!

Also the advantage goes to the crazy, homicidal person in a small room when others invade her space.

One memorable domestic that I went on, the two crazy drunks were holed up in the bathroom and the drunk parents were wandering around the kitchen (IIRC). Two officers finally talked them out of the bathroom, but NEITHER entered that room (we knew that he had guns but never saw any weapons), while I kept an eye on the drunk wandering parents and my other eye on my two fellow officers.

The one crazy person with a knife in a small, confined space can take one swipe with the knife and cut every officer in that bathroom. You can bet that she was flailing with the knife . . . and vests do NOT protect against knives.

I wasn't there and don't know what went down, but it usually goes South in a blink of an eye and I feel that they were totally justified in taking her down in any way available to them. Most towns do not deploy Tasers and OC doesn't work on everyone not to mention that in a small room it would also hit all the officers.

OK, guess an open mind debate is out of the question here.

Looks like all I am going to get is that COPs are always right and victims always wrong. I thought there would be some more of a discussion about this situation. And 50 COPs on one with a knife?? Yes, I have a problem with that. Just draw and kill, that is all the police can do; I think they are better than that.

No other options it sounds like. No need to further pile it on me if you feel that way members. I get your point, was just looking for a discussion.

You've obviously never had to respond to a domestic!!

Nope, never have. Guess that means I don't count right? I was never Gov. of MA either, but I know the one we have ain't the best choice. Never played Pro Baseball either, but I know I good hitter when I see one......on and on

Back
Top Bottom