• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman and kid shot at gun show

MESA, AZ -- Police say a woman and little girl were injured Saturday when a weapon accidentally fired at a Mesa gun show.

"I was two rows away, we heard the gun go off and everybody just kind of stopped," said Mike Todd, a gun show regular. "It could've been much worse."

It happened just before noon at the Mesa Convention Center, near Center and Main streets.

Police told ABC15 that a dealer brought a loaded handgun into the convention center and placed it under a table.

Someone later pulled the trigger of the gun. The bullet apparently hit the wooden butt of a rifle then went through a side door made of metal.

A woman was hit in the neck along with a little girl. Both were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

"We think the woman was hit with some shrapnel in the neck," said Detective Mike Melendez of the Mesa Police Department. "The girl might have been hit from flying wood from the butt of the gun."

Police were questioning the gun dealer involved and may charge him with recklessness.

"He won't be invited back to this gun show" said Bob Templeton, who runs the gun show. "We just had a guy here who didn't think he had to follow the rules."

According to the convention center's website, it is hosting a "Crossroads of the West" gun show this weekend.

F-ing idiot.

Didn't follow simple firearm safety rules. Since it's AZ it probably won't gain much anti traction. If this happened in MA they would probably ban all gun shows.

Okay, we can harp all day on the dealer (f-ing idiot #1), but how about the guy who pulled the trigger? What's the FIRST thing you do when you pick up a gun at a gun show???

EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!!!

Check the damn gun, idiot #2...

How did the person who pulled the trigger get the gun if it was "under the table"? They didn't give much info on how that occured.

Dumbassery all around, including the idiot who penned the title of the article:

Woman, child injured as weapon fires at Mesa gun show

The weapon fired itself? This is not just nitpicking, writing like this just feeds into the anti-mentality that guns can "go off" on their own.

Dumbassery all around, including the idiot who penned the title of the article:

Woman, child injured as weapon fires at Mesa gun show

The weapon fired itself? This is not just nitpicking, writing like this just feeds into the anti-mentality that guns can "go off" on their own.

While I completely agree with you, it's a common type of language. Cars crash, doors slam, fires start, and guns fire. In all four cases a person had to do something to start the action (I guess sometimes that's not true with fires). That kind of language just has an actual impact when thinking about guns.

While I completely agree with you, it's a common type of language. Cars crash, doors slam, fires start, and guns fire. In all four cases a person had to do something to start the action (I guess sometimes that's not true with fires). That kind of language just has an actual impact when thinking about guns.

not trying to be obstinate, but if you read about a car crash, you normally see-

Teen crashes car on Route 95

Usually there's a noun/actor involved.

I've been to this gun show in the past. I don't know how most gun shows are, but a LOT of trash rolling through there. It's a anti's wet dream: white supremists, gangbangers, militia types.

Not everyone, but the dirtbags REALLY stand out when mixed in with good guys.

I was in Marlborough Saturday, and was amazed at how many picked up handguns/rifles and massaged the triggers without clearing. Makes me very uncomfortable, (Hypothetical) someone buys ammo puts a round in a chamber, walks away. "I am not comfortable at gun shows" That said, I did observe many using "proper manners"

I've been to this gun show in the past. I don't know how most gun shows are, but a LOT of trash rolling through there. It's a anti's wet dream: white supremists, gangbangers, militia types.

Not everyone, but the dirtbags REALLY stand out when mixed in with good guys.

Huh. I thought at first you were referring to me. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't there. [wink]

While the person who picked up the gun and didn't check the chamber definitely deserves the title "IDIOT", I'll refrain from judging the dealer. Everyone seems to just assume that he carelessly brought a loaded gun into the show. However, it wouldn't be the first time that some Über-Idiot decided it would be really funny to sneak a live round into one of the guns, or some anti decided that it would help his cause to do the same. There was an incident just the other day at another gun show where it was discovered that someone had swapped a loaded magazine into one of the guns on display.

Ken

Okay, we can harp all day on the dealer (f-ing idiot #1), but how about the guy who pulled the trigger? What's the FIRST thing you do when you pick up a gun at a gun show???

EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!!!

Check the damn gun, idiot #2...

Seems common sense to us but not everybody knows the rules, especially in the states where you do not need to go to 8 hours of training to obtain a license to carry a fiream.

Huh. I thought at first you were referring to me. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't there. [wink]

Problems with low self-esteem? [wink]

I was in Marlborough Saturday, and was amazed at how many picked up handguns/rifles and massaged the triggers without clearing.
At Callaghan's last week, the owner handed me a German clone of a Ruger Blackhawk - I wasn't really paying attention to whether or not he cleared the gun but I didn't worry - I swung the gate open and spun the cylinder for myself. I always assume that a gun is loaded and check...

However, it wouldn't be the first time that some Über-Idiot decided it would be really funny to sneak a live round into one of the guns, or some anti decided that it would help his cause to do the same. There was an incident just the other day at another gun show where it was discovered that someone had swapped a loaded magazine into one of the guns on display.
Couple of years ago that happened to K&R Target Sports in Hudson - someone looked at a semiauto handgun, and while the owner was talking to another customer, slipped a live round into it and hands it back to the owner. Ray (the owner) found the round a few days later when clearing the gun to hand it to another customer. He says he darn near crapped his drawers when a live round came flying out when he racked the slide. I think I would have, too.
schrik.gif

Couple of years ago that happened to K&R Target Sports in Hudson - someone looked at a semiauto handgun, and while the owner was talking to another customer, slipped a live round into it and hands it back to the owner. Ray (the owner) found the round a few days later when clearing the gun to hand it to another customer. He says he darn near crapped his drawers when a live round came flying out when he racked the slide. I think I would have, too.
schrik.gif

That's just f'd up

Seems common sense to us but not everybody knows the rules, especially in the states where you do not need to go to 8 hours of training to obtain a license to carry a fiream.
[wink]

I remember a time when your pappy would teach about common sense things, like how to check if a gun is loaded. For all the "progress" we have made with technolgy, it seems like we have actually gone backwards 40 years in practical knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom