• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolves in MA?

Talks of wolf sightings in local areas concerning residents

"WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - Many locals think they've been spotting wolves across the Pioneer Valley.

Residents of Blandford took to Facebook to voice their thinking that wolves have been released to help lower the population of moose and bears. But there are no wolves in the area, although moose and bear populations are rising."

Coyotes??? They are pretty big around here. But have that coyote-colored fur that just. . . . irks me. It's such an odd color.

I recall about 25 years ago there was a talk of a mountain lion or something in Easton, MA. Several downtown residents and workers saw it, including my old boss Stella at Charlies Place on Main St (now the Farmer's Daughter).

Turns out it was just a big ass house cat. People were exaggerating the size by almost double.

Other than that wolf that got killed a few years back, we haven't had them here in a long time, hopefully it stays that way.

"...but there are no wolves in the area"

Really? How the f*** do you know?

"...explains what residents have ACTUALLY been seeing"

Honestly XD

Coyote sightings however they did kill a wolf in the hatfield/greenfield area a few years back. Look it up.

Yes, confirmed via DNA, they say.

Animal killed in Shelburne was a gray wolf

"HADLEY - Wildlife officials say an animal killed in Shelburne last fall was an endangered eastern gray wolf, a species long extinct in this region.

An official with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said today that DNA tests and other examinations of the 85-pound animal confirmed it was a gray wolf.

Gray wolves became extinct in Massachusetts in the mid-1800s, with the closest known population in Canada. However, evidence has been mounting that the wolves have been migrating south into parts of Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire.

Special agent in in the service's Hadley office, Thomas J. Healy, said the the service found nothing to indicate the wolf was held in captivity, and do not know how it reached western Massachusetts."

We'd have less yotes and wolves if we took care of the excessive seal population on the Cape.

Wait. That's white sharks and old-white tourists. NVM.

I live deep in the woods on a dirt road in a small WMass town. We regularly see bear and moose and deer and coyotes and I have to wade through the turkeys many mornings to get to work. Two years ago my son and I saw a wolf running across the road. We both knew immediately what it was. Maybe it was a cross breed, but we didn't have time to do a DNA study. For what it's worth, my wife has (allegedly) seen a mountain lion while riding horses in the woods of Leverett.

I live deep in the woods on a dirt road in a small WMass town. We regularly see bear and moose and deer and coyotes and I have to wade through the turkeys many mornings to get to work. Two years ago my son and I saw a wolf running across the road. We both knew immediately what it was. Maybe it was a cross breed, but we didn't have time to do a DNA study. For what it's worth, my wife has (allegedly) seen a mountain lion while riding horses in the woods of Leverett.

This really doesn't surprise me. It's not like these critters stop and read a sign that says entering Mass. and turn around and leave. My suspicion is that they are following prey and just keep going.
I have seen a Grey wolf way up in Northern Quebec, where the paved road ends. And even at what I would estimate was more than a 1/4 mile away, you got the feeling that this thing was trying to figure out how to eat you.

Back
Top Bottom