• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolfeboro, NH: Wright Museum Goes Anti, Destroys Historical Items

Sad to say that the board of the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro NH has gone full retard and not only are they banning self defense, they are literally destroying actual historical items (rare firearms).

From a volunteer at the museum:

Long post, but its worth the read.

So it turns out the majority of the Board at the Wright Museum of World War II in Wolfeboro, NH have gone through with a gun ban on museum property. This prohibits members of the public, re-enactors, or museum volunteers from holding or possessing guns or edged weapons real or fake all due to a false claim for better image for the museum and "safety". The good members of the board fought hard but were highly outnumbered. I myself a volunteer and re-enactor am now prohibited from doing what everyone's been doing for years there as a constitutional right and as part of living history displays. Also included in this gun ban is the deactivation of all firearms in the museum collection including some valuable weapons such as the German MG-34, American M1941 Johnson rifle, and many more are at risk of destruction by means of deactivation because of a half wit policy. Please show support by making your voice heard to the museum to tell them destruction of constitutional rights and WWII history is not permissible! It agonizes me because this museum has been a place of nostalgia and fun for years for myself and many others volunteers or not. We also are prohibited from using blanks in the main guns of our tanks for events from now on as part of this ban. The director claims he respects the memory of those who fought in the war, yet by destroying artifacts and ignoring freedoms we know this to not be true. Please help us out by sharing this message and contacting the museum to show the executive director and the board majority that there are many of us out there that actually care about protecting freedom and history!

The volunteer is wrong about constitutional rights here, the museum can ban guns if they want to, it is private property. And I can, and will withhold my money from them.

Politely tell the director how you feel and leave a polite but negative review on FB stating you do not recommend a museum that destroys history.

Wright Museum of World War II contact info.

Address:
77 Center St, Wolfeboro, NH 03894

Fb page:
https://www.facebook.com/wrightmuseumofwwii/

Museum Phone number:
603-569-1212

Mike Culver, Executive Director contact info:
Email: [email protected]

... We also are prohibited from using blanks in the main guns of our tanks for events from now on as part of this ban. ...
"Events".

I know someone who has suffered significant permanent hearing damage
by some clown lighting off a cannon at the Chelmsford Independence Day Parade.

I've also heard of reenactors' musket fire
spooking an unrelated group's horses during a parade.

Be careful out there people.

Coincidentally, I called them yesterday in regards to donating my large collection of WWII books. Does anyone know of another organization that would be interested?

Yes what exactly will be happening to the firearms in the museum? And will other armaments be modified or removed from the museum?

Coincidentally, I called them yesterday in regards to donating my large collection of WWII books. Does anyone know of another organization that would be interested?
Check with Jim @Shooters-Hooksett as his museum has some interesting books on historical guns, etc.

Bullshit! That’s up there with burning books. They have a moral obligation to preserve the past for future generations.

The volunteer is wrong about constitutional rights here, the museum can ban guns if they want to, it is private property. And I can, and will withhold my money from them.

The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected civil right. In New Hampshire there is no law that would permit private property owners to ban guns and thus create a gun crime. Think Texas 30-06 signs or South Carolina's posting no guns law. With respect to NH concealed means concealed and I take glee in lawfully ignoring these rules if there is somewhere I need to or want to go. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, then that would be criminal tresspass. But not a gun crime. Your home is private property, this museum is open to the public which is different. Now, if you are OK with these places banning gun carriers, then I must ask would you be OK if they banned blacks, or hispanics, or any other racial, religious or ethnic minority under this misplaced perception of private property?

Not seeing any related posts on their FacePlant site. Are they able to scrub this stuff from view?

I can imagine their collection for the most part was donated, presumably with the expectation of preservation on the part of the donor.

Dishonoring donor intent is bad juju with nonprofits generally, and preservationists in particular.

The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected civil right. In New Hampshire there is no law that would permit private property owners to ban guns and thus create a gun crime. Think Texas 30-06 signs or South Carolina's posting no guns law. With respect to NH concealed means concealed and I take glee in lawfully ignoring these rules if there is somewhere I need to or want to go. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, then that would be criminal tresspass. But not a gun crime. Your home is private property, this museum is open to the public which is different. Now, if you are OK with these places banning gun carriers, then I must ask would you be OK if they banned blacks, or hispanics, or any other racial, religious or ethnic minority under this misplaced perception of private property?

The constitution only applies to the government. This is so simple I find it astonishing people can't understand this.

Private property owners can create whatever requirements they want on their property including bans. The only exception to this falls under statutory laws such as the Civil Rights act, which is not constitutional law. And from a property rights and freedom of association perspective, the civil rights act tramples all over those rights.

Blasted it all over FB, including Curios & Relic Central.

I did have to correct a couple of Fudds there who insisted that "deactivated" just means removing the firing pin.
An ATF-approved deactivation involves cutting away the sideplates on MGs with a torch, completely destroying the weapon. What were these fools thinking? ATF exempts museum collections from NFA regulations, so they are legal as is.

Long post, but its worth the read.

So it turns out the majority of the Board at the Wright Museum of World War II in Wolfeboro, NH have gone through with a gun ban on museum property. This prohibits members of the public, re-enactors, or museum volunteers from holding or possessing guns or edged weapons real or fake all due to a false claim for better image for the museum and "safety". The good members of the board fought hard but were highly outnumbered. I myself a volunteer and re-enactor am now prohibited from doing what everyone's been doing for years there as a constitutional right and as part of living history displays. Also included in this gun ban is the deactivation of all firearms in the museum collection including some valuable weapons such as the German MG-34, American M1941 Johnson rifle, and many more are at risk of destruction by means of deactivation because of a half wit policy. Please show support by making your voice heard to the museum to tell them destruction of constitutional rights and WWII history is not permissible! It agonizes me because this museum has been a place of nostalgia and fun for years for myself and many others volunteers or not. We also are prohibited from using blanks in the main guns of our tanks for events from now on as part of this ban. The director claims he respects the memory of those who fought in the war, yet by destroying artifacts and ignoring freedoms we know this to not be true. Please help us out by sharing this message and contacting the museum to show the executive director and the board majority that there are many of us out there that actually care about protecting freedom and history!
I would like to see this documented somewhere publicly, particularly with regard to ruining the firearms in the museum's collection, before I react to it.

Welp,I was planning on going there this fall to check out the museum. I guess I won't now and I will let the director know this as well and why. I'm just one person but if the word gets out and enough people are enraged over this, it may change things...knowing Wolfeboro though, probably not.

It looks like they delete comments on their Facebook page. It shows lots of comments on posts, then I see few if any when I open the post, all, glowingly positive. Typical of liberals.

What about The International Museum of World War II in Natick MA? Not sure what they will take, but may be worth a call.

Thanks for the heads up. I added a review to the Google maps page. Make sure that when you go to the page, you thumbs up the reviews that reference destruction of historical artifacts, that way Google will show those first.

It looks like they delete comments on their Facebook page. It shows lots of comments on posts, then I see few if any when I open the post, all, glowingly positive. Typical of liberals.

That's fine. They can't delete negative posts on Tripadvisor or Yelp. Poor reviews on those sites would go further since tourists are probably the majority of their patrons. It's currently listed on Tripadvisor as the #1 thing to do in Wolfeboro. Maybe that should change.

1 star google review posted.

Last edited:
Not a single neg review on Trip Advisor.

No difference between this and Holocaust denial or other revisionist history.

I guess the Nazi’s have finally won

Last edited:
Before he became the director of the Wright Museum, Mike Culver was the executive director of the Ogunquit Museum of American Art for 25 years.

Color me surprised.

Thanks for the heads up. I added a review to the Google maps page. Make sure that when you go to the page, you thumbs up the reviews that reference destruction of historical artifacts, that way Google will show those first.

Done.

The constitution only applies to the government. This is so simple I find it astonishing people can't understand this.

Private property owners can create whatever requirements they want on their property including bans. The only exception to this falls under statutory laws such as the Civil Rights act, which is not constitutional law. And from a property rights and freedom of association perspective, the civil rights act tramples all over those rights.

The Civil Rights Act was needed because certain people, mostly in the south, refused to recognize the basic civil rights of others. There are times, when people and businesses behave so badly that government must step in to protect those who are unable to protect themselves.

Private property that is open to the public, must be open to all. Black, hispanics, jews, aisians and even those who are legally carrying guns. Fortunately, NH does not have laws like those in most southern states that allow businesses to post no guns allowed signs and then get someone who is carrying and ignores such a sign convicted of a crime. Even Massachusetts has no such law.

Sorry, the right to bear arms is a Civil Right. If anti-gun legislators attempt to enact a law similar to those in the south that allow businesses to create crimes by the mere posting of no guns allowed signs what will you do? Support? Oppose? OR put your head in the sand an ignore the bill? In a state that has a vast number of citizens carrying guns, it is impractical to have such a law because most of the state would be off limits. Then, when people try to disarm in their car and have an accidental discharge due to the confined space of the car the antis will have more reason to push to restrict gun carrying.

Back
Top Bottom