1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Wolfeboro, NH: Wright Museum Goes Anti, Destroys Historical Items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soloman02, Jul 24, 2019.

1. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

Sad to say that the board of the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro NH has gone full retard and not only are they banning self defense, they are literally destroying actual historical items (rare firearms).

From a volunteer at the museum:

The volunteer is wrong about constitutional rights here, the museum can ban guns if they want to, it is private property. And I can, and will withhold my money from them.

Politely tell the director how you feel and leave a polite but negative review on FB stating you do not recommend a museum that destroys history.

Wright Museum of World War II contact info.

Address:
    77 Center St, Wolfeboro, NH 03894

Fb page:
    https://www.facebook.com/wrightmuseumofwwii/

Museum Phone number:
    603-569-1212

Mike Culver, Executive Director contact info:
    Email: [email protected]

KBCraig likes this.

2. upcountry

upcountry NES Member

3. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Blasted it all over FB, including Curios & Relic Central.

I did have to correct a couple of Fudds there who insisted that "deactivated" just means removing the firing pin.

308rifleman and soloman02 like this.
  4. AHM

AHM NES Member

"Events".

I know someone who has suffered significant permanent hearing damage
    by some clown lighting off a cannon at the Chelmsford Independence Day Parade.

I've also heard of reenactors' musket fire
    spooking an unrelated group's horses during a parade.

Be careful out there people.

5. basscatfrank

basscatfrank NES Member

Coincidentally, I called them yesterday in regards to donating my large collection of WWII books. Does anyone know of another organization that would be interested?

Jason Flare likes this.
  6. 67ray

67ray NES Member

Yes what exactly will be happening to the firearms in the museum? And will other armaments be modified or removed from the museum?

7. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Check with Jim @Shooters-Hooksett as his museum has some interesting books on historical guns, etc.

Jason Flare and kingfisher like this.
  8. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

Bullshit! That’s up there with burning books. They have a moral obligation to preserve the past for future generations.

9. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

10. granitestater

granitestater

The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected civil right. In New Hampshire there is no law that would permit private property owners to ban guns and thus create a gun crime. Think Texas 30-06 signs or South Carolina's posting no guns law. With respect to NH concealed means concealed and I take glee in lawfully ignoring these rules if there is somewhere I need to or want to go. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, then that would be criminal tresspass. But not a gun crime. Your home is private property, this museum is open to the public which is different. Now, if you are OK with these places banning gun carriers, then I must ask would you be OK if they banned blacks, or hispanics, or any other racial, religious or ethnic minority under this misplaced perception of private property?

firestorm likes this.
  11. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Not seeing any related posts on their FacePlant site. Are they able to scrub this stuff from view?

12. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

I can imagine their collection for the most part was donated, presumably with the expectation of preservation on the part of the donor.

Dishonoring donor intent is bad juju with nonprofits generally, and preservationists in particular.

Waher likes this.
  13. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

The constitution only applies to the government. This is so simple I find it astonishing people can't understand this.

Private property owners can create whatever requirements they want on their property including bans. The only exception to this falls under statutory laws such as the Civil Rights act, which is not constitutional law. And from a property rights and freedom of association perspective, the civil rights act tramples all over those rights.

OnTheRoad, Rekonn, Boston4567 and 4 others like this.
  14. ScottS

ScottS NES Member

They are deleting about as fast as people are posting.

15. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    An ATF-approved deactivation involves cutting away the sideplates on MGs with a torch, completely destroying the weapon. What were these fools thinking? ATF exempts museum collections from NFA regulations, so they are legal as is.

16. DispositionMatrix

DispositionMatrix NES Member

I would like to see this documented somewhere publicly, particularly with regard to ruining the firearms in the museum's collection, before I react to it.

jpm likes this.
  17. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

Welp,I was planning on going there this fall to check out the museum. I guess I won't now and I will let the director know this as well and why. I'm just one person but if the word gets out and enough people are enraged over this, it may change things...knowing Wolfeboro though, probably not.

18. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It looks like they delete comments on their Facebook page. It shows lots of comments on posts, then I see few if any when I open the post, all, glowingly positive. Typical of liberals.

19. jek

jek NES Life Member NES Member

What about The International Museum of World War II in Natick MA? Not sure what they will take, but may be worth a call.

mpd61 likes this.
  20. foy1der

foy1der NES Member

Thanks for the heads up. I added a review to the Google maps page. Make sure that when you go to the page, you thumbs up the reviews that reference destruction of historical artifacts, that way Google will show those first.

H-minus likes this.
  21. H-minus

H-minus NES Member

That's fine. They can't delete negative posts on Tripadvisor or Yelp. Poor reviews on those sites would go further since tourists are probably the majority of their patrons. It's currently listed on Tripadvisor as the #1 thing to do in Wolfeboro. Maybe that should change.

1 star google review posted.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Prepper likes this.
  22. GoodWillHunting

GoodWillHunting NES Member

It's not a museum if they are actively destroying or damaging historical objects. That's not how any of this works.

23. JoseyWales

JoseyWales

24. Shark_Cage

Shark_Cage NES Member

Not a single neg review on Trip Advisor.

No difference between this and Holocaust denial or other revisionist history.

I guess the Nazi’s have finally won

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  25. H-minus

H-minus NES Member

Before he became the director of the Wright Museum, Mike Culver was the executive director of the Ogunquit Museum of American Art for 25 years.

Color me surprised.

26. Coyote33

Coyote33

Done.

27. granitestater

granitestater

The Civil Rights Act was needed because certain people, mostly in the south, refused to recognize the basic civil rights of others. There are times, when people and businesses behave so badly that government must step in to protect those who are unable to protect themselves.

Private property that is open to the public, must be open to all. Black, hispanics, jews, aisians and even those who are legally carrying guns. Fortunately, NH does not have laws like those in most southern states that allow businesses to post no guns allowed signs and then get someone who is carrying and ignores such a sign convicted of a crime. Even Massachusetts has no such law.

Sorry, the right to bear arms is a Civil Right. If anti-gun legislators attempt to enact a law similar to those in the south that allow businesses to create crimes by the mere posting of no guns allowed signs what will you do? Support? Oppose? OR put your head in the sand an ignore the bill? In a state that has a vast number of citizens carrying guns, it is impractical to have such a law because most of the state would be off limits. Then, when people try to disarm in their car and have an accidental discharge due to the confined space of the car the antis will have more reason to push to restrict gun carrying.

28. H-minus

H-minus NES Member

Its been a while since I've posted on Tripadvisor, but from what I remember it takes a couple days for new reviews to be posted.

29. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

30. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Hey woah, it's not all of MA's fault. You have VT hippies, and NY transplants as well...
    Lol

imgone likes this.