• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf Steel cased ammo in an AR?

I just found some steel case Wolf ammo on Ammoman.com for $289 per 1000 is this stuff ok for an AR? or should I stay away?

drb

here a pic from the ammoman website

Attachments

• wolf ammo.jpg
    wolf ammo.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
Personally I dont like wolf, But i shoot brown bear and other steel cased ammo all the time and my AR's love it!

XXXXXXX is 220. check gun-deals.com for the best price, you can even calculate with shipping cost.

Can't beat the service you get from aim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf sucks...it's loaded about as well as Nancy Pelosi applies her make-up...Seriously, spend the extra money and buy some Winchester White Box, PMC, Federal American Eagle, or dream big and get some Winchester Q3131, Federal XM193 or Privi 5.56....In case you hadn't heard, Russia hates us and also Wolf makes ammunition to sell on the American market, then turns around and sells ammo to Iran, etc....Much of which in turn gets fired at US troops...Screw Russia and Screw Wolf Ammo....

I a FTE with steel cased 308 round and from this wont purchase nor shoot any steel cased ammo in my AR rifles.

I attempted to shoot some ammo that was of an exotic nature (IE couldn’t find this ammo in brass cased) that had a steel case (norinco) in one of my FAL's and it did not eject and required the purchase of a piece of steel rod to remove it from the chamber.

I still have a 200 round belt that I would sell to anyone that wanted it but after my experience with it I wouldn’t suggest anyone buy it.

Last edited:
I also had trouble with Wolf sticking in my AR15. I used up the case I had but I don't buy that stuff anymore. It also seemed a little underpowered.

Wolf sucks...it's loaded about as well as Nancy Pelosi applies her make-up...Seriously, spend the extra money and buy some Winchester White Box, PMC, Federal American Eagle, or dream big and get some Winchester Q3131, Federal XM193 or Privi 5.56....In case you hadn't heard, Russia hates us and also Wolf makes ammunition to sell on the American market, then turns around and sells ammo to Iran, etc....Much of which in turn gets fired at US troops...Screw Russia and Screw Wolf Ammo....

If you are looking for cheaper steel case ammo and don't want it from Russia, Hornady make steel cased .223 ammo. I paid $17 for a box of 50 last fall. I'm sure it could be found closer in price to the Russian stuff if you buy a case.

XXXXXXX is 220. check gun-deals.com for the best price, you can even calculate with shipping cost.

Can't beat the service you get from aim.

Sorry EddieCoyle; I should not have asked, I know better. I thought it was ok as I was not reffering to a mass shipment, but understood......... I will not ask again. Very Sorry

drb

I would love to see some of the steel case Hornady ammo for the prices of wolf/silver bear ect. Have not seen any in my area. As far as reloading. Man its not much cheaper to reload for range plinking, maybe for higher end match ammo? so far ESPECIALLY her in mass there is no bulk deals that I have found
Last I looked for bullets .224 hornady 55g FMJ BT 20.00/100
primers 175.00 and up 5k case
Varget 26.50/lb
I have yet to find a large quantity discount for bullets,primers,powder. Unless I drive 100 mile+ out of state.
For the most part the only ammo I found that does not cycle well in my AR is the standard remington 223 in the green and white box
I have not had fail to eject with any steel or brass, Maybe it has to do with chamber....I see a lot of ars out there that say .223 as compared to my stag that says 5.56
Could this be a reason why some have jams? Is there not .223 chamber 5.56 chamber and then the wylde chamber. IS there or IS there NOT a difference????

I'm not a fan of it at all for the AR. Great for commie guns, but I have had lousy luck with it. I rather just spend the extra few bucks and get some quality brass-cased ammo that I know is going to work and can reload the brass.

If you have a few AR's & just want to take the kids to the range for some simple plinking it could be ok. I would personally never run steel cased ammo through mine.
It's like buying a Ferrari & feeding it regular unleaded.

I shot the "Military Classic" stuff at an ammo-provided match and it was OK, but pretty low-powered. It cycled round-to-round, but not strongly enough to get the bolt to lock back on the last shot. I normally also don't want it in my match gun. (Same result both from my White Oak upper and a friend's Bushmaster CMP gun.)

For general blasting purposes, I have a chrome-lined Bushmaster AR that seems fine with it.

If you have a few AR's & just want to take the kids to the range for some simple plinking it could be ok. I would personally never run steel cased ammo through mine.
It's like buying a Ferrari & feeding it regular unleaded.

F'n sweet I HAVE to use this on my wife!! " honey, the guys on NES say if I buy a few MORE AR's, THEN I can shoot the cheap ammo "

I run it through my fs2000 just fine when I change the gas setting to the "shitty ammo" mode. Then it cycles gloriously. But the accuracy is less than desirable. When on regular gas settings it fails to feed all the time.

The way I see it, if I feel like shooting at a more rapid rate, I'll bang that through it. One thing you have to take note of is that the varnish will 'burn off' in your rifle. It smokes up, stinks, and gets everywhere. As long as you don't mind a full wipe down of your rifle's insides, it's nothing too bad.

It shoots OK out of my m16. I use it when I'm not going to reload the cases,like when there's lots of snow on the ground.

My feelings exactly......

I agree with you both!!!! PMC is $329/1000 at XXXXXXXXX. Do your AR a favor and buy some. It's great for plinking. They have Prvi Partzan ammo if you need something with a little more performance too[grin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom