• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf Small rifle primers

I love them. They're my favorite SR primers. I got some at the gun show in Fitchburg last weekend for $114/5000.

I use them for my .223 loads. I use the sall rifle magnum primers, though. I have used Federal primers, but I started piercing them with my heavy 80gr loads. No problems with the Wolf.

Wolf makes three SR rifle primers - Small Rifle; Small Rifle Magnum and Small Rifle 223. They advise against using regular small rifle for high pressure rounds like .223.

I use the regular small rifle primers for 40 S&W and have had great luck with them in an SVI wide body 1911 style gun - no change to the gun tuning required.

Wolf primers are actually made by Murom - http://flame.murom.ru

I use the Wolf SR magnum primers for .223. They're not hotter than the regular ones, they just have a thicker cup.

How do the small pistol compare to Feds and Win? I have 1 gun that only lights off Fed 100% Win are about 80% in the same gun. Just wondering in case I run out of Feds. Starting to think I should have bought some at the show for 114/5000 just to try.
Dave

You pretty well answered my question before asking it, but for comparison how do they stack up against CCI's "military" primers in cup thickness?

I don't know. I've never measured either. I was going by what my supplier had on his website (he got the info from the Murom factory).

FYI - picked up a box of Wolf small pistol primers at the show. Loaded them up and had close to 12 that didn't light on the first strike out of about 150 rounds a the range. This was in a G26. I finally got around to stipping the slide on the G26 to make sure it wasn't the firing pin, and there was some very minor black in there, but not build up. Nothing that I would think would cause a problem

BTW, the round/primer would fire if cylced a second time.

So I've got more to run though. Now that I know she's totally clean, if I have the same problem, I'm going to say it's the primers.

FYI - picked up a box of Wolf small pistol primers at the show. Loaded them up and had close to 12 that didn't light on the first strike out of about 150 rounds a the range. This was in a G26. I finally got around to stipping the slide on the G26 to make sure it wasn't the firing pin, and there was some very minor black in there, but not build up. Nothing that I would think would cause a problem

BTW, the round/primer would fire if cylced a second time.

So I've got more to run though. Now that I know she's totally clean, if I have the same problem, I'm going to say it's the primers.

Were they silver or brass colored?

Most of the complaints about FTF have been with the silver ones. I've had issues with my M&P (with the old striker) and a Sig P6 with a lighter hammer spring with the silver wolf SP. So far my stock 686SSR has gone bang every time. Although I haven't put as many rounds through it as I have with the 9mm's.

Most of the complaints about FTF have been with the silver ones. I've had issues with my M&P (with the old striker) and a Sig P6 with a lighter hammer spring with the silver wolf SP. So far my stock 686SSR has gone bang every time. Although I haven't put as many rounds through it as I have with the 9mm's.

Thanks, good to know. I won't be chasing my tail on this.

Back
Top Bottom