Wolf small rifle primers in pistol. EDIT: KVB556Mprimer

Asking specifically if anyone has used the (EDIT:) KVB556M Small rifle magnum Wolf primers in 9 and 40. I know some have used Wolf but the have three different rifle primers and want to make sure I get one that will go bang in a stock Glock.

Thanks

PS. I know they have to be firmly seated or you get issues.

Last edited:
i love em in my ar15, but from personal experience, they're harder than the hinges on the gates of hell. better have one seriously powerful hammer spring if you wanna light em off reliably.

Rifle primers are harder to ignite than pistol. Some pistols have no problems with these primers and others do. My experience has been that striker fired pistols (Glock, S&W M&P) have more problems with hard primers than hammer guns. I would stick with pistol primers.

It may be tempting, but never substitute rifle and pistol primers. Probably more of a problem when you try small pistol in rifle cases, but why even bother?

FWIW, I've been using Wolf, SR and SRM, Winchester, Remington and CCI small rifle primers exclusively in my 9mm ammo for years and haven't had any problems.

Granted, the vast majority of it is shot in a heavy bolt subgun but any of it that I've used in pistols or rifles has never failed to fire on the first strike. The ammo has been used in Uzis, Glocks, Rugers, Marlin Camp9, TZ pistols.

I've done side by side tests with both rifle and pistol primers and noticed no difference in performance or accuracy.

The last batch of 9mm I reloaded is the first batch in about fifteen years that I used pistols primers in. They are Wolf and I haven't had a chance to fire any or it yet but I'll assume it will function as all the rest did.

Estimated previous total of functional small rifle primer loaded 9mm is about 60,000 rounds +/-

The best thing you can do is try a few and see if your gun has the snot to dent the primer. If not, stick with pistol primers or get a stiffer striker spring.

And I agree, with the above post, don't use pistol primers in rifle cartrigdes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Wolf small rifle (not the SRM or 223) for 9mm. I tried the SRMs and got light strikes in some pistols (not my G17 though).

It may be tempting, but never substitute rifle and pistol primers. Probably more of a problem when you try small pistol in rifle cases, but why even bother?

I think that the labels 'rifle' and 'pistol' are being taken too literally. Consider 454 Casull; a small rifle primer is specified. While pistol primers probably should not be used in high pressure cartridges due to thin cups, there is no reason rifle primers cannot be used in some lower pressure cartridge applications. I have used small rifle primers in a few thousand pistol loads with no adverse effects. The loader needs to understand that rifle primers generally have higher brisance than most pistol primers. There are cases of rifle primers being strong enough to push the bullet out of the case before the powder really starts burning. That said, small rifle primers work for me in 357 mag loads.

CAVEAT: large pistol and rifle primers are not the same size. What I said does not apply to large primers.

Watch out for breech face erosion using harder rifle primers in lower pressure pistol rounds.
They do not always seal completely under pressure and can cause hot gas cutting of the breech face.

Steve

I love wolf primers so far 0 issues I only wish I purchased a bunch more. I ran out of large rifle primers.....
When I first started reloading a while ago the only thing I found was SR. Then came along the SRM primers which where pitched as a thicker cup for hot loads. Then not long after the 556 primers which where pitched as thick cups and hotter compound.
I sent of a email for a bit more info. They gave me a link to a vendor who had a good description of each. I purchased a boat load of the 556 primers when they where on sale for 105.00 with ship and hazmat!

Other than being so cheap what's the gain over the use of the correct SP or SPM primers. I'm getting ready to load io some of my powder puff loads in 45.
I will use the blazer cases with SP primers and do a crony test......SP vs SR

Last edited:
Why bother? Cant find the SP unless I want to pay 30% more per k.

Half the price or regular primers and at 7k+ of 9mm a year I figure the cost savings will be worth it. Add in another 5k++ a year in 40 and I thought the purchase would be worth it. I know they will fire in a subgun with a fixed firing pin (several peoples input) but I wasnt sure if anyone had actual experience with this specific primer. Seems like the older regular SR primer worked fine in pistol, and I believe this is the next step up (primer cup thickness wise). I know on the Enos forum people have been using SR in many cases in SP cases. Many do it when making major in 9mm IIRC.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of loading up 4K 9mm with the Wolf SR primers (not the magnums). You're welcome to try a few out if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom