Wolf Small Pistol Primers

mu2bdriver

NES Member
Has anyone use Wolf small pistol primers for 40SW or 9mm...the good, bad, or ugly on them?

Yes, in 9mm. They work just fine. They feed well in a Dillon primer setup.

Shot two different loads in 9mm yesterday, both performed well.

No complaints here.

I have used them in 9mm and 38sp. Both functioned. Some primers require multiple strikes.

This. Even when I take extra care to ensure that they are fully seated I've had a bunch of FTF on the first strike. 99% of the time they go off the second time. I won't trust them anymore for matches. I'd only buy them again if it is the only thing I could find (which it was t the time).

I have been loading 40 S&W lately with Wolf SP primers, and have not had a single failure yet (500+ and counting).
They run fine thru my Dillon, although I did have to use the pickup tubes to load them, as I was getting some upside down ones (1 per 100) using the vibra-prime.

Has anyone use Wolf small pistol primers for 40SW or 9mm...the good, bad, or ugly on them?

I just noticed you were in CT. I live in Middlefield, work in Wallingford - belone to Silver City GC and New Haven Sportsmans Club.

I have plenty if you would like to try some out. My cost was about $29/1000.

I ahve had good luck with Wolf small pistol primers-100% reliability, but have had more than a few problems with the small pistol magnum primers. Many failures to ignite in my 9mm S&W M&P.

I ahve had good luck with Wolf small pistol primers-100% reliability,
Were they silver or brass colored?

but have had more than a few problems with the small pistol magnum primers. Many failures to ignite in my 9mm S&W M&P.
I shoot an M&P as well. I was complaining about their SP primers at a match and someone said that their M&P doesn't like them either, but their glock has no problem. I disassembled and cleaned my striker assembly for the first time ever and it still had problems.

I don't have a problem getting them to light out of any of my guns.
The only issue I have is seating them. They don't go in as easily as other brands but this is mostly true for just .223

Pistol ammo works fine for me, but I would prefer to have other brands for competitive use. I don't want to take a chance even though I haven't had any bad experiences with it so far.

I have no problems loading up plinking rounds with it.

Last edited:
Were they silver or brass colored?

I shoot an M&P as well. I was complaining about their SP primers at a match and someone said that their M&P doesn't like them either, but their glock has no problem. I disassembled and cleaned my striker assembly for the first time ever and it still had problems.

The primers I used were brass colored; I have never seen any other type of Wolf primer. The M&P ignition system seems to be a little weak. I tried using lower powered recoil springs with disastrous results, light hits/FTFs. My experience has been that any deviation from the stock recoil and striker springs will cause ignition problems. This includes the use of extra power striker springs.

PS I have it from a reliable source that Wolf doesn't make all of their primers. A parent company purchases primers from several MFRs and markets them under the Wolf logo. Also, PMC is getting primers from Russia and marketing them under their name. Given these practices there is bound to be some variation in "Wolf" primers.

The primers I used were brass colored; I have never seen any other type of Wolf primer. The M&P ignition system seems to be a little weak. I tried using lower powered recoil springs with disastrous results, light hits/FTFs. My experience has been that any deviation from the stock recoil and striker springs will cause ignition problems. This includes the use of extra power striker springs.
The ones I've got are silver colored. From the Enos forum people seem to like the brass colored ones but have issues with the silver ones.

I had a very strange offset light strike on a primer in my M&P on Friday at the indoor nationals. One of the SO's looked at it and asked how old my M&P was. He said they changed the striker and striker spring (2 more coils) and suggested I call customer service and they'd likely send me a new one.

PS I have it from a reliable source that Wolf doesn't make all of their primers.
I too have a "reliable source". My source is the printing out the outside of the case of 5,000 that contains 5 US retail packages of 1000 Wolf Small Rifle (copper colored) primers. It reads "Murom Apparatus Manufacturing Plant" and gives the web address of http://flame.murom.ru. The primers are packaged for US retail sale. The inner boxes of 1,000 indicate Made in Russia, but do not mention Murom.

So far, I've been happy with the copper colored small rifle primers in my SVI 40.

The primers I used were brass colored; I have never seen any other type of Wolf primer.
Brass or copper colored? Winchester primers are brass colored, but the current Wolf Small Rifle primers are a distinctly different color - more of a "reddish copper" than "golden brass".

Last edited:
I hate necroposting, but I figured in this case it's appropriate..... anyone buying wolf small pistol recently, and how are they working? I got a box of 1000 at Riley's on a lark. I probably am going to just load up some practice ammo with it, but I am wondering if people are still getting light strikes or not.

-Mike

I have had zero issues with small pistol, largepistol, small rifle wolf primers. purchased nov 2011 about 400+ rounds with each so far

I hate necroposting, but I figured in this case it's appropriate..... anyone buying wolf small pistol recently, and how are they working? I got a box of 1000 at Riley's on a lark. I probably am going to just load up some practice ammo with it, but I am wondering if people are still getting light strikes or not.

-Mike

The primers you found at Riley's, are they PMC in a green/white box, marked made in Russia? I understand these are sometimes called 'wolf primers'. I have used these exact primers from Rileys ($26 per 1k I think) with no problems in 357 fired in a ruger GP100 and Marlin 1894c

"Used several thousand for 9MM and 5.56. Not a problem yet. "

Same here, all mine copper colored. Not one FTF. They are all I buy and the price is certainly right.

The primers you found at Riley's, are they PMC in a green/white box, marked made in Russia? I understand these are sometimes called 'wolf primers'. I have used these exact primers from Rileys ($26 per 1k I think) with no problems in 357 fired in a ruger GP100 and Marlin 1894c

They had those too (the PMC clean fire primers) but the ones I got were in a Red and Black WOLF box.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom