• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf Small Pistol Primers

What's the word on the street about Wolf small pistol primers? I've been using CCI or Winchester with no issues, but last time I was buying my local shop only had Wolf in stock. I figured I'd give them a try.

Turns out my XD9 doesn't like them,,, at all. Every 3 or 4 rounds one will not ignite, even though the firing pin has put a really good dent in it (see below). I'm really surprised that wasn't enough to fire it. Second or third try it will finally go off.

WolfFTF.jpg

I ran some through another gun and had no issues at all, but it's not striker fired and probably strikes the primer with a bit more force than the XD.

I did a search and read some threads where folks were talking about Wolf rifle primers and that they tended to be a bit on the hard side. Seems that holds true for their small pistol primers as well. [thinking]

I've had maybe a coupe FTF's only using Wolf/Tula primers. And that's in about a thousand rounds. Think you hit a bad lot.

If it goes on the second or third try, you're not seating them deep enough. Give the press handle a bit more Ooomf. I've used Wolf Small Rifle Magnum in a 38 Super with a 17 pound mainspring. Small pistol should work fine if properly seated.

If it goes on the second or third try, you're not seating them deep enough. Give the press handle a bit more Ooomf. I've used Wolf Small Rifle Magnum in a 38 Super with a 17 pound mainspring. Small pistol should work fine if properly seated.

Interesting. I'm always careful to seat them firmly on my Dillon, and have never had a single issue in over 5,000 rounds of CCI & Winchester primers, so why would these be different?

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm always careful to seat them firmly on my Dillon, and have never had a single issue in over 5,000 rounds of CCI & Winchester primers, so why would these be different?

They are slightly wider and don't seat as well as other primer. They are also known for losing anvils. I use Wolf for practice but not for matches

Like others have said, make sure you seated them deep enough.

I've never used Wolf pistol primers but I've heard of some people having problems with them (although, if you read enough, someones had a problem with everything).

I love Wolf small rifle primers though.

My M&P9c doesn't like the tula or pmc primers. They all work fine in my beretta and S&W6906 though. The cups seem too tough for the striker.

I bought 5k when primers were scarce. My M&P didn't like them. My stock S&W 686 SSR worked most of the time with them. I burned up the last of them and decided that it wasn't worth the minimal savings.

I use them for practice but not matches where I use WW. I have had problems (light strikes with reduced power maisprings in SA/DA autos). I just went through about 500 rounds with Wolf primers in my Para P16 40 with 100% reliability using a stock 23 lb mainspring.

good thing about wolf, not happy contact them they will refund your money and send a call tag for whats left....emagine that commie's have a guarenty you will like their stuff. By the looks those wolf primers might be your last Unless wolf opens up production here in us.

Like others have said, make sure you seated them deep enough.

I loaded 50 test rounds last night, giving the lever an extra hard push when seating the primers. I don't think it is possible for them to be seated any more deeply than they are, at least on my press. I'll run them through the XD on my lunch hour today and see if it made any difference.

If they aren't more reliable, I'll see if I can exchange the 2 unopened bricks I have left for CCI this weekend. I'm planning to participate in my first Steel Challenge match (Comm2A fundraiser at the Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford) on the 5th, and I want to be able to trust my ammo to function properly.

This batch did better, only 2 rounds that didn't fire out of the 50 I tested, instead of 2 or 3 from each mag. So seating them VERY firmly did make a difference, but still not 100% [hmmm]

I have went through around 900 or so in my S and W 38 special revolver and have not had one fail to go off. I would recommend them to anybody asking.

Matt

This batch did better, only 2 rounds that didn't fire out of the 50 I tested, instead of 2 or 3 from each mag. So seating them VERY firmly did make a difference, but still not 100% [hmmm]

Get some WW or Federal for the match. A dud will ruin your day at a steel match.

May or may not matter......something I forgot about....ever since I started uniforming my primer pockets my s&w model 39 light strikes went away.
I personally would take wolf up on their guarenty..you will never have faith (at least in this batch) in these primers.
I pure based wolf primers when they could had for under 20 bucks per thousand.

The shop where I purchased them had no issue with exchanging the 2 unopened bricks for CCI primers. I'll use up the rest of the one brick I opened on range loads where 100% reliability will not be a huge concern. I've never had a single issue with CCI primers in over 5,000 rounds since I started reloading, so I'll stick with those as long as they're available. Thanks for all the input guys!

Back
Top Bottom