• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf Primers

Just picked up a load of Wolf primers (small pistol standard, and large pistol) and I am not a happy camper. The small pistol primers aren't seating properly in the .40 S&W cases on my 1050. where WW primers would seat slightly below the case head, I am lucky to get the Wolf primers level, with many slightly higher. I even cranked up the primer pocket swager to make sure that the pocket wasn't the problem. The diameter of the two brands is almost identical, so I think it must be overly hard cups. This reloading was done with a mix of brass and the problem could not be traced to one brand; it seemed to be completely random.

I tried some large pistol primer on my 550 loading .45 ACP. These primers seated with no problem which raises a question as to whether the Wolf primers are incompatible with the 1050. I plan to load some small pistol primed ammo on the 550 in the near future. After loading a quick run of 100 on the 550 to test the primers, I quit and began to replace my loading tools on their respective shelves. As I was replacing the primer flip tray, a little sparkle caught my eye. A couple of anvils were left in the tray. Great! I have a couple of duds and no way to ID them. Luckily this was practice ammo and I still have enough WW to load any match ammo I should need. Based on these experiences I don't think I'll be buying any Wolf primers in the future.

PS Other aggravations: each individual packet of 100 primers is sealed at each end with tape that must be cut before you can get at them.

Also, the boxes that contain 5000 primers have no identifying marks; you have to open each box to determine its contents. More reasons to dislike the Russians.

I've loaded over 1300 Wolf small pistol primers this year. Haven't had any problems loading them, had a few miss fires (they all fired second time around). No big deal, I use this stuff for the range only. Hopefuly, I've got a good batch. I've still got quite a bit of primers left. My lot # is 20-07

Good luck on your end.

Last edited:
I've loaded over 1300 Wolf small pistol primers this year. Haven't had any problems loading them, had a few miss fires (they all fired second time around). No big deal, I use this stuff for the range only. Hopefuly, I've got a good batch. I've still got quite a bit of primers left. My lot # is 20-07

Good luck on your end.
Kurt

Misfires that ignite on the second try are almost always high primers. Sounds like you are having the same problem, just not as severe. What type of press are you using?

I took all of the ammo I loaded with Wolf primers (200 rounds .40 S&W and 100 rounds .45 ACP) to the range today and, much to my surprise, they all worked, even the rounds with ridiculously high primers. I am at a loss to explain how all of the .45 ammo ignited when I found a couple of anvils in my primer flip tray. Either Wolf primers can work without anvils or the anvils I found did not fall out of the primers in the package. I'm still not happy with these primers, but I can't complain about reliability.

One worry I have is the affect these primers will have on my 1050. In order to get the Wolf primers to seat, I had to adjust the primer seating stem to apply a LOT more force that was required with thw WW primers. Over time this could account for premature wear and breakage.

One worry I have is the affect these primers will have on my 1050. In order to get the Wolf primers to seat, I had to adjust the primer seating stem to apply a LOT more force that was required with thw WW primers. Over time this could account for premature wear and breakage.

Especially if one detonates while loading! [wink]

Took 300 more rounds of Wolf primed ammo (200 .45 and 100 .40) to the range today and found the duds I was looking for. Apparently I didn't use all of the primers in the machine when I was loading .45 on the 550. The new batch must have included the primers missing anvils as I had two duds.

Reliability isn't all that bad, but this stuff is good for only practice ammo as far as I'm concerned. The big problem is that primer seating takes much more effort, which could lead to possible damage to the machine or high primers and reliability problems. There is also the problem of anvils dropping out of primers one dud can ruin your whole match or possibly your life.

A final word on Wolf primers. The loose anvils I found on my first 100 large pistol are the only ones so far (2000 rounds .45 loaded) and I have adjusted my 1050 to reliably seat small pistol primers. The problem is that these primers are extremely difficult to seat and won't seat in some well used brass with primer pockets that are closing up. If the price is right or they are the only chouce, they will work but with difficulty (seating effort is high on the 550). I would use them only for practice ammo.

A final word on Wolf primers. The loose anvils I found on my first 100 large pistol are the only ones so far (2000 rounds .45 loaded) and I have adjusted my 1050 to reliably seat small pistol primers. The problem is that these primers are extremely difficult to seat and won't seat in some well used brass with primer pockets that are closing up. If the price is right or they are the only chouce, they will work but with difficulty (seating effort is high on the 550). I would use them only for practice ammo.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Back
Top Bottom