Wolf Gold 223

headednorth

NES Member
Anyone ever use it? Any opinions good or bad? It seems to be the cheapest brass cased stuff around, which kind of makes me think twice. Anyone know how the brass is to reload?

I've found it to be reliable, accurate enough (1-2 MOA out of my 20" psa upper), and not much more expensive than steel cased stuff. I police my brass, and figure even if I don't reload it (not dedicated enough to track down powder these days), I can still clean it up and sell it to someone who will. Think of it like a brass deposit [grin].

EDIT: like I said, haven't reloaded it myself, but AR15.com seems to like it just fine.

Last edited:
Seems the specs are similar to m193 as far as fps and muzzle velocity. Cases arent annealed it appears to me at least, (I dont recall seeing that mentioned anywhere) and its $0.05/round < m193. Curious how the quality of the brass compares between the two.

ETA- Just saw a vid that says it is annealed and also primers and bullets are sealed. Sounds like a good deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7GB6RD4kI&list=UUZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

Last edited:
annealing staining was simply cleaned off (through additional tumbling step) before loading took place. most premium ammo does not have annealing marks. once that do are simply skipped the annealing discoloration removal process as cost reduction measure.

also you will not be able to load bottle neck case without annealing. process of shoulder forming hardens case mouth, neck and shoulder. and since mouth is formed slightly undersized than bullet being loaded (to facilitate holding through tension) non-annealed case would split during bullet sitting step or during firing. top part of the case have to be soft and malleable to be able to create a chamber seal and not let any gas blow-back into the breech area.

that is why some people do not reload bottle neck cases more than 3-4 times (on average) b/c every time you size it in the press you work-hardened top portion of the case. eventually this would lead to splitting.

that is also why other reloaders re-anneal their cases after 3-4 reloading to prolong its' useful life and prevent splitting

Back
Top Bottom