• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf A1 Gas Piston Upper

I stopped associating Wolf with Junk when when they started repackaging Eley .22 ammo as their own.
wolf 22lr has always been some other brand. SK, lapua, norma , ???? Basically who ever they can get to contract filling the wolf boxes.
Look on the box for where it was made and you can get a good Idea who made it.
Im wondering what level of eley the wolf is?

Last edited:
Now here's a question about these things. Is the included muzzle device a brake or flash hider? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a brake because this when installed brings the barrel to 16" exactly so it can be pinned and welded and put on any lower, not just an SBR. Nice to have the flexibility.
The box says "Muzzle Break: A2 Style" (misspelling not mine) though as far as I'm aware an A2 is a flash hider. But this one is almost twice as long as a standard A2.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_222554.jpg
    IMG_20200509_222554.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200509_222629.jpg
    IMG_20200509_222629.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200509_222639.jpg
    IMG_20200509_222639.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 16
Now here's a question about these things. Is the included muzzle device a brake or flash hider? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a brake because this when installed brings the barrel to 16" exactly so it can be pinned and welded and put on any lower, not just an SBR. Nice to have the flexibility.
The box says "Muzzle Break: A2 Style" (misspelling not mine) though as far as I'm aware an A2 is a flash hider. But this one is almost twice as long as a standard A2.
Looks like a A2 birdcage for sure. Call it a muzzle break. It directs the muzzle blast upward to reduce recoil. I don’t think flash hider is an appropriate term here.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a kit from Adams Arms and build from scratch?
Now that I did the math, I think this Wolf upper would be a better value. I didn't realize the kit came with a BCG. So the rest of the upper is $370, and that includes barrel, gas piston assembly, etc. Plus I bet it's in the same factory as the Taiwanese military version.

A question better left unanswered frankly. ATF does not test whether or not something is a flash hider anymore so there is no longer an official
determination. As to "whether mass would consider it a flash hider or not" good luck with getting that answered... [rofl]

There are a ton of muzzle brakes on the market btw (at least vs a plain, crowned barrel) that reduce flash significantly but were not "explicitly" designed or marketed to do so. Many even passed ATF testing way back when they did it. That said, some companies that sell guns got smart about this, there are lots of guns sold "with muzzle brakes" that, upon further examination and use, have great flash suppressing qualities to them, but the manufacturer avoided the use of the term "flash hider" in any of their literature at all, so the sale of their rifle would not be hindered in ban states. People that own these particular guns know exactly what I'm talking about, because they seen this movie before. :)

I think even when the ATF did the testing it was somewhat dubious, since nearly all muzzle devices will affect flash somehow. Not to mention
ammo types change it significantly. Fun example: Is a flash hider still a flash hider if it can't stop big fireballs from certain types of ammunition? Like for example, back when I owned a preban Colt 6520, that had a birdcage on it, if I shot stuff like Silver Bear out of it, you would get this fun fireball that came out of the FH in a star sort of pattern. If it was dark that would still show up as a huge flash, even though the device is clearly sold as a "flash suppressor".

The level of lunacy of attempting to answer these kinds of questions in a legal sense is off the charts mind numbing/mental masturbation. I'm not
attacking your post in any way, BTW, just referencing how stupid and vacuous the laws are.

I appreciate the response and completely agree with the idiocy of the entire attempt at categorization. My intent is to at least try to have some confidence in what this could be determined to be prior to permanently attaching it to the barrel because there's not really any going back from there. I've heard before that the muzzle brake/flash hider difference is down to the size of the exit hole at the end, but I've never found that in writing anywhere.

I appreciate the response and completely agree with the idiocy of the entire attempt at categorization. My intent is to at least try to have some confidence in what this could be determined to be prior to permanently attaching it to the barrel because there's not really any going back from there. I've heard before that the muzzle brake/flash hider difference is down to the size of the exit hole at the end, but I've never found that in writing anywhere.
Done right its not hard to reverses a pinned and welded muzzle device. Just requires more than a wrench.
Oh and my friend is still waiting on his ammo/upper deal. His shipping label has been created but nothing shipped yet. Its been a while.

Done right its not hard to reverses a pinned and welded muzzle device. Just requires more than a wrench.
Oh and my friend is still waiting on his ammo/upper deal. His shipping label has been created but nothing shipped yet. Its been a while.

Very true, and if needed it wouldn't be a problem to destroy this brake in the process. I guess I'll go through with welding it. Where did he buy his? I went through AIM and had it in four days.

Looks like a A2 birdcage for sure. Call it a muzzle break. It directs the muzzle blast upward to reduce recoil. I don’t think flash hider is an appropriate term here.

It is an A2 Flash hider. Thats what it is. If you look at the inside, it has a flaring venturi, designed to draw air IN through the slots and cool the gas. Reducing flash.

If there was an end plate with an aperture, then it would be a brake. As is it is absolutely positively 100% a flash hider.

For $35 you can get a Miculek brake. Which is great. Because having a REAL brake on a gun is nice. Most of my ARs are either pre-ban or built on pre-ban lowers. And I prefer to put brakes on them.

Very true, and if needed it wouldn't be a problem to destroy this brake in the process. I guess I'll go through with welding it. Where did he buy his? I went through AIM and had it in four days.
he bought his that came with a 500 rounds of wolf gold deal. seems they ran out of ammo.
they gave him the option to get the upper now and ammo later , he declined.

I know this is a necro reply, but the extra length doesn’t make it a brake. That extra length is basically just a functionless extension to meet length requirements.

That is 100% a flash hider. The ports being on the upper side are not to reduce recoil. It’s simply to prevent downward blast from kicking up dust.

Only way to make that a brake is if you cap most of the front. You need a chamber in order to be a brake. Like this AIMsports unit: https://www.aimsportsinc.com/a2-muzzle-brake-5-56-cal/

IMG_9598.jpeg

I know this is a necro reply, but the extra length doesn’t make it a brake. That extra length is basically just a functionless extension to meet length requirements.

That is 100% a flash hider. The ports being on the upper side are not to reduce recoil. It’s simply to prevent downward blast from kicking up dust.

Only way to make that a brake is if you cap most of the front. You need a chamber in order to be a brake. Like this AIMsports unit: https://www.aimsportsinc.com/a2-muzzle-brake-5-56-cal/

View attachment 857565
That looks an aweful lot like an a2 bird cage!

I believe the exit hole diameter is the key difference.

It gets tricky. I’d classify the BCM Mod 0 and Mod 1 Compensators as compensators instead of flash hiders. Their exit hole isn’t small, but there is still a chamber earlier on, created by a small diameter hole.

But the Wolf muzzle device in question is pretty clear. It’s an A2 bird case flash suppressor with a bit of extension built on to reach a certain pinned barrel length.

Back
Top Bottom