Wolf A1 Gas Piston Upper

DJBrad

NES Member
Anyone own this on a build? I’ve watched a few vids and see that Taiwan as recently as last year began using the T91 as their military service rifle. I have an option to fit an 80% lower and would love to get my hands on a gas piston upper of decent quality.

I would be looking at 3 weeks min shipping time as well but I have so much in the works as it is so there’s no hurry.

I would be looking at 3 weeks min shipping time as well but I have so much in the works as it is so there’s no hurry.
My friend is awful on follow up so I doubt I will hear much about it unless he has a complaint.
I was going to order one myself until the no ship ammo thing...

Can someone explain the appeal of a complete piston upper from Wolf? Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a kit from Adams Arms and build from scratch?

Probably because its less likely to be a dumpster fire as a complete upper.

The entire wolf upper is like $469. Yeah you can do it for cheaper, but now we're firmly in skinflint territory. [laugh]

-Mike

That's kind of cool. I like the looks. You could build a nice T91 clone.

You'll need a rear sight though.

From what I've read, the rear sights never come with these uppers and are practically unobtanium.

After you buy the upper you can buy an 80% lower and finish it off properly, unless you live in Mass.

There is a specific web site dedicated to building these T91 rifles. They sell almost all of the parts.

RC

I'll tell you what. that thing felt like 'sex' in my hand...

From what I've read, the rear sights never come with these uppers and are practically unobtanium.

After you buy the upper you can buy an 80% lower and finish it off properly, unless you live in Mass.

There is a specific web site dedicated to building these T91 rifles. They sell almost all of the parts.

RC
Correct. No rear sights and the front sight is ginormous. I would prefer the A2 carry handle for a Jungle Carbine look. I’ve been enamored with those as of late.

And, yes @67ray I do feel buying American is the way to go. At this moment in time this piston upper seems to fit the bill.

RC
That's really cool actually.

I was looking at those last fall. Almost bought one. Both Atlantic and AIM had them. Ended up getting some really good black Friday deals and built a 16" upper for a little over half the cost of what the Wolf A1 would have been.

I still really like the Wolf A1 upper. I'm going to keep it in mind for a future build.

An interesting thread on this subject here. I've been flirting myself with one:

a snippet from the post:

Canted FSB is a real thing with these uppers in the past and the civilian FSB from wolf really doesn't work all that well with anything AR related as a Rear sight.

You can change around front sight posts however you may not be happy with the front sight picture, However the T91 FSB from T91Tactical.com along with the T91 rear sight work well as they are mated factory parts

Second issue would be Loose barrel extensions and it is also a real thing in this day of nitride finishes. Not specific to the T91 this process getting into the threads and affecting torque values is also a real thing.

As a new wolf Owner You can likely count on a fellow named Steve that is in Tennessee and wolf will provide you with his contact info should you need warranty service and he does take care of the customer as he has taken care of my problems and my rifle now runs without issue and is very enjoyable.

Canted FSB is a real thing with these uppers in the past and the civilian FSB from wolf really doesn't work all that well with anything AR related as a Rear sight.

You can change around front sight posts however you may not be happy with the front sight picture, However the T91 FSB from T91Tactical.com along with the T91 rear sight work well as they are mated factory parts

Second issue would be Loose barrel extensions and it is also a real thing in this day of nitride finishes. Not specific to the T91 this process getting into the threads and affecting torque values is also a real thing.

As a new wolf Owner You can likely count on a fellow named Steve that is in Tennessee and wolf will provide you with his contact info should you need warranty service and he does take care of the customer as he has taken care of my problems and my rifle now runs without issue and is very enjoyable.

Someone previously mentioned that these things feel like sex. I may be too old and conservative but my idea of sex doesn't involve crooked and loose things and counting on a fellow named Steve.

Did not know that, thnx.
For a long time
223 wolf gold was PPU and you could get the 75 grain stuff then.
223 gold was made in Twain hmm now they have a clone Taiwanese upper?
22lr for the longest time was made in germany, now its lapua or SK or
some shit. You will have to look on the mewer boxes of the steel cased amko to see whete its coming from these days. I did notice recently wolf no longer seals their steel cased ammo.
Its all good. You never know who makes what these days

I have one but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. It feels far better than the $450 I paid for it. I've heard from multiple sources that these are made in Taiwan by the same plant that makes the T91 and by the quality I'm inclined to believe it. Wolf seems to just have slapped their name on it which is fine, makes it cheaper. But it really can't be compared to the steel case junk ammo with the same brand name.

Back
Top Bottom